Time to "blow up the roster"

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i mentioned this months ago. i called it the unthinkable scenario. this was before the Thompson demotion/thing and i felt like the Packers weren't going to have much of a season this year with the thompson status quo. Rodgers to cle for their two #1's ++. all cap issues are gone for the foreseeable, go get who you want in FA, you take the qb of your choice at #1, the best pass rusher, or cb, at #4, and best player available at #14. seattle has realized they'll be spitting in the wind this season and has begun their retooling. there'll never be another chance like this. if Gute's first off-season/season doesn't go like we want it will be a topic next off-season too. guess we'll see.

Reaction score
Not that I see this happening, but even IF we were going to let Rodgers walk we could play his contract out for 2 years and get his successor primed.
I don’t think anybody is arguing that 34 years old is too old to play at the QB position or that Aaron is currently overpaid are they?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the King of ridiculous threads. I could probably come up with a bunch of reasons why it would be sensible to start Jeff Janis at QB next year too.... but that wouldn't make it anything but lunacy.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I see this happening, but even IF we were going to let Rodgers walk we could play his contract out for 2 years and get his successor primed.
Well, we do have DeShone Kizer.
The fact that we are even talking about trading/releasing/letting Rodgers go shows what a desperate state this football team is currently in.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The fact that we are even talking about trading/releasing/letting Rodgers go shows what a desperate state this football team is currently in.

or....what a desperate state some fans think it is in? ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or....what a desperate state some fans think it is in? ;)
I'm not the one who started a thread called "time to blow up the roster" or who is suggesting trading Rodgers.
But this football team has a lot of holes and little cap space, I don't know who is going to deny that.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not releasing or letting him walk...never! trade now...maybe. it's just a now-and-long-term thought (delusion) to keep the Packers relevant as opposed to short-term thought (delusion). lol

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% on board with trading Rodgers and always have said his last extension should have been the last with the team. Sign him and you've got a 9-7 team. Trade him for all of what has been suggested and you've got a 4-12 team with the chance to be a 12-4 team the very next year. The Packers won't sniff 12-4 as long as 12 is making 18-20% of the cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not the one who started a thread called "time to blow up the roster" or who is suggesting trading Rodgers.
But this football team has a lot of holes and little cap space, I don't know who is going to deny that.

I think if you look around the league, at this time of year, there are a lot of teams with a lot of holes, its part of Football. Are the Packers in the best shape of all 32 teams? No, but I don't think they are in as bad of shape as some may think and definitely not in such bad shape that they would have to trade away their #1 asset.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definitely not in such bad shape that they would have to trade away their #1 asset.
I'm not in favor of it, but I can see the appeal of such a move. It would most definitely be bold.
I can't believe the team would want to put itself in that kind of a situation though, because remember the split among the fans when Favre was released?
Trading Rodgers would cause about five times the controversy, and vitriol.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of it, but I can see the appeal of such a move. It would most definitely be bold.
I can't believe the team would want to put itself in that kind of a situation though, because remember the split among the fans when Favre was released?
Trading Rodgers would cause about five times the controversy, and vitriol.

Exactly how I feel. Even though I made the suggestion about the trade with Cleveland I wasn't really convinced I'd be for it. Like you though I can see why some fans would be for it. A boatload of top picks and the money to sign them...I'm not even sure I would hate it.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
today should be a reminder of how the salaries for every position are only going up. the "we'll be fine (with Rodgers' new contract) because the cap keeps going up every year" crowd need to rethink that. making him the highest paid player in the league puts undo pressure on the team and something has to be sacrificed to make it happen.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A boatload of top picks and the money to sign them...I'm not even sure I would hate it.
It would be a bittersweet move for sure. It would be exciting, but it would also be giving up on the "Rodgers experiment" - giving in to failure (even though we got a Super Bowl out of it).

This almost looks a little more likely today than yesterday. With Gute cutting Nelson, it doesn't appear that he is worried about ticking off Rodgers at all. Or he could just be freeing up money so we can resign him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why do people think Rodgers is so sensitive. I'm sure he'll miss Jordy, we all will, but for crying out loud, he didn't get to be where he is by anything other than concentrating on how he gets himself ready to play and doing his job the best he can possibly do it. He's smart enough to know what's going on. Friends get cut off of teams all the time, in every city, no matter who you are and if you can't move on, you'll be done soon too. If you ever made it in the first place. Big salaries are going to be cut, or allowed to play it out and not be re-signed in the next year so Rodgers can be paid, and he knows that he's part of the reason those guys won't be here anymore. He's not stupid, and I don't think he's overly sensitive about this stuff either.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Now that the Queens are giving Kurt Cousins an $84 Million fully guaranteed 3 contract I think it throws a wrench into the Aaron Rodgers extension. 3 more year extension for $90- $95 million? An injury away from salary cap hell for the next 5 years. At what point does the risk of keeping Aaron become too steep?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why do people think Rodgers is so sensitive. I'm sure he'll miss Jordy, we all will, but for crying out loud, he didn't get to be where he is by anything other than concentrating on how he gets himself ready to play and doing his job the best he can possibly do it. He's smart enough to know what's going on. Friends get cut off of teams all the time, in every city, no matter who you are and if you can't move on, you'll be done soon too. If you ever made it in the first place. Big salaries are going to be cut, or allowed to play it out and not be re-signed in the next year so Rodgers can be paid, and he knows that he's part of the reason those guys won't be here anymore. He's not stupid, and I don't think he's overly sensitive about this stuff either.

I agree, any comments I may have made regarding this were made in jest and mainly stemmed from the comments made after the parting with Alex Van Pelt and the whole "they didn't consult me" thing.

Reaction score
Now that the Queens are giving Kurt Cousins an $84 Million fully guaranteed 3 contract I think it throws a wrench into the Aaron Rodgers extension. 3 more year extension for $90- $95 million? An injury away from salary cap hell for the next 5 years. At what point does the risk of keeping Aaron become too steep?
It’s all about the guaranteed money. All the rest of it is just a shell game.
If Aaron gets $1M guaranteed on a 6 year deal (I’m being overly dramatic for display purposes) are we worried about him crashing and burning in relation to his Cap hit?
Obviously not.
The problem is the Jordy move set Aaron’s agent up to go after the very maximum guaranteed amount possible. Any savings we got with Jordy will pale in comparison to what that message just sent to any other player in contract negotiations and we have no way of quantifying how much this will cost us long term across all expiring contracts.
In short we got cute. But looks only go so far

D

Deleted member 6794

sure...but that's not the debate. it's whether you make/keep the highest paid player in the league into his late 30's 40's, as the price for other positions go up too, to the detriment of the team.

Of course you keep the best player at the most important position in all of sports.

100% on board with trading Rodgers and always have said his last extension should have been the last with the team. Sign him and you've got a 9-7 team. Trade him for all of what has been suggested and you've got a 4-12 team with the chance to be a 12-4 team the very next year. The Packers won't sniff 12-4 as long as 12 is making 18-20% of the cap.

The Packers have made the playoffs with Rodgers' contract accounting for 18-20% of the cap. It's ludicrous to suggest the team could be better off by trading him a year later.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why do people assume trading Rodgers for a bunch of top draft choices is going to make the Packers better? Rodgers is a proven commodity, draft choices aren't. Ask Cleveland and some of the other teams that have been picking towards the top of the draft for years just how that has been working out for them.

Reaction score
Just entertaining the idea for conversation purposes.
IF Rodgers was traded for draft picks. What would be his total point estimated value??

I’d say Give me no less than 10,000 points of trade value or I feel like I’m being cheated.
I’m more comfortable at 15,000 points (that’s essentislly the first 7 picks in the 2018 draft)

D

Deleted member 6794

Just entertaining the idea for conversation purposes.
IF Rodgers was traded for draft picks. What would be his total point estimated value??

I’d say Give me no less than 10,000 points of trade value or I feel like I’m being cheated.
I’m more comfortable at 15,000 points (that’s essentislly the first 7 picks in the 2018 draft)

It's close to impossible to predict what the Packers would receive in return for Rodgers as trades like that don't happen in the NFL because no general manager has been stupid enough to agree to deal the most valuable player in the league still in his prime.

Reaction score
It's close to impossible to predict what the Packers would receive in return for Rodgers as trades like that don't happen in the NFL because no general manager has been stupid enough to agree to deal the most valuable player in the league still in his prime.
That’s the whole point of the exercise it’s a virtual trade. But it’s telling of where people value Aaron. What’s your point value? Just guess I value your opinion

Staff online

Latest posts