Thurs Bears game: Stopping Howard will be Key

D

Deleted member 6794

So the concerns about TT not picking up "better" veteran OTs for this game were overblown.

You're right about that as Taylor performed admirably at left tackle and McCarthy installed a great game plan making up for the line's shortcomings. The Packers desperately need Bakhtiari and Bulaga back for the Cowboys game to somehow contain Demarcus Lawrence though.

Don't the Jags have Albert's rights?

No, the Jaguars released Albert in August.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about that as Taylor performed admirably at left tackle and McCarthy installed a great game plan making up for the line's shortcomings. The Packers desperately need Bakhtiari and Bulaga back for the Cowboys game to somehow contain Demarcus Lawrence though.

No, the Jaguars released Albert in August.
Thought I read something about him retiring during their 1st practice.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thought I read something about him retiring during their 1st practice.

That's true but only a week later he expressed interest in returning to the NFL. The Jaguars first placed Albert on the reserve/retired list but released him some days later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
From what I've read, Albert retired because he had no interest in playing for the Jaguars. But after he retired, he realized that by doing so he was forfeiting a fairly significant roster bonus. So he un-retired for financial reasons, and they cut him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about a veteran having a decent understanding of the Packers offense as his only job assignment should have been to not commit a false start and block the pass rusher on his side of the line to keep Rodgers upright.

There have been examples of offensive lineman being capable of doing just that only a few days after being signed by their respective teams. Off the top of my head Sitton comes to mind with the Bears last season.

Wow.

I'm not quite sure you understand how intricate OL schemes are.

Plus, with a guy like Rodgers who is notorious for his hard counts, that's asking a lot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not quite sure you understand how intricate OL schemes are.

I fully understand that it takes time for an offensive tackle to build chemistry with the quarterback as well as the other linemen. That doesn't change my opinion that I would have felt more comfortable about a seasoned veteran coming in to protect Rodgers' blind side that any combination of McCray, Pankey and John, especially with a scaled down playbook.

It doesn't matter now as Taylor did an admirable job playing left tackle and Bakhtiari should be back in time for the Cowboys game.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully understand that it takes time for an offensive tackle to build chemistry with the quarterback as well as the other linemen. That doesn't change my opinion that I would have felt more comfortable about a seasoned veteran coming in to protect Rodgers' blind side that any combination of McCray, Pankey and John, especially with a scaled down playbook.

It doesn't matter now as Taylor did an admirable job playing left tackle and Bakhtiari should be back in time for the Cowboys game.

I'm not even talking chemistry.

I'm talking footwork, angles, line calls, timing, etc. All of those things take time to learn. Your new left guard probably steps differently than your old one. That's the difference between tripping up two players and making a key reach block.

It's a huge part of why the Packers like to build from within with their OL. They run a complicated scheme up front.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not even talking chemistry.

I'm talking footwork, angles, line calls, timing, etc. All of those things take time to learn. Your new left guard probably steps differently than your old one. That's the difference between tripping up two players and making a key reach block.

It's a huge part of why the Packers like to build from within with their OL. They run a complicated scheme up front.
Well said. Add to that the nuances of how Rodgers behaves in the pocket and it's affect on the blocking style and the plug and play idea for OL is a potential disaster

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said. Add to that the nuances of how Rodgers behaves in the pocket and it's affect on the blocking style and the plug and play idea for OL is a potential disaster
While this is all true ... grabbing somebody off of Arizona's practice squad does not address these issues either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What keeps getting lost in all of this is whether or not Oher and Albert are in shape and want to play football.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt it would have been a difficult assignment for any player being brought in but Taylor had to learn a new position within a few days as well. That makes me believe a veteran could have handled it.

The Packers starting Patrick and McCray definitely had potential for being a disaster as well.

They're not.

And Winston is a bum. Wimm clearly hasn't seen him play recently.

I'm absolutely convinced Winston is still a more talented player than McCray, Pankey and John. I wonder how you know for a fact that Oher and Albert aren't in shape.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have a quota where you have to say 'absolutely convinced' multiple times a day? Just curious.