Thoughts on the 2006 Draft

OP
OP
G

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT doesn't like drafting for needs, he will probably pick the best there is on the board, just like Wolf, regardless of if it's offense or defense. I know it's a bold statement :p

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes - you have no choice in the matter....

I'm pretty sure he blends focus on all issues....
It's not restricted to only three avenues of thought.

We'll be running back heavy next year at Draft time...
But, I would hope TT remembers the Tiger Set, from the 90's....

It's what will save Rodgers when he takes over....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
Reggie Bush would certainly save Rodgers when he is to take over!
It might even be the reason why Rodgers succeeds if he does.

Yea... I follow that....

I would add, that the more I watch video of Rodgers practicing... from earlier this year... It's starting to have that Troy Aikman feel to it... He went 1-15 his first year, but then they brought in Emmitt Smith and BAM! Course havin' those hawgs on the Offense, didn't hurt, either - it gave everyone, including the Packers (1995-?) huge fits...

When it comes down to it - the idea, or the hope, is to take the best parts of what all other Teams are excelling at... and for what reasons.. and TT (like Ron Wolf) would blend us the Team, or an imitation thereof.. like we had with Reggie White.

Yea yea, I know there'll probably never be another Reggie....
But, one can hope.... look at Lavar Arrington - guy is a comeback kid...
And, if we could clone Julius Peppers from two years ago.. WOW!

What I don't understand - is why it's verboten to bring back Gravedigger (??)
I'm still pretty miffed about him not at the Home Opener (Bears) last year....
I really wanted a chance to meet him..

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, Bush is a better college running back then White. Wonder who will be the better NFL running back. White is bigger, stronger, but not as fast. Quickness is probably in bush's area too. Just don't know. Like i stated before. Pick up white this year and Calhoun the following year. have two running backs that give the team a change of pace. And calhoun is a excellent receiver (Colorado wanted to move him to WR before he left).

OP
OP
G

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is, Bush can do it all.

He has excellent size and strength, excellent speed.
He is an excellent receiver, with good hands, and runs good routes.
But he is also a very good passer, he has it all, that's why I believe this boy is gold, and let's hope he get's in green too.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
The point is, Bush can do it all.

He has excellent size and strength, excellent speed.
He is an excellent receiver, with good hands, and runs good routes.
But he is also a very good passer, he has it all, that's why I believe this boy is gold, and let's hope he get's in green too.

Gakk, let it go.

Bush is great. if we had a shot at him im sure we would take him. a lot of things have to transpire before we even know our position in the draft. for instance, the rest of the regular season games.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Keep trading down. The Packers need at least 10 picks to have 7 make the team. There is no 6th round. There are many needs to fill.

ding ding ding

ESPECIALLY if we are in position to pick leinart or bush there will be a team willing to set us up with a lot of draft picks.

for longterm planning, we currently need...

Running back...I think Davenport and Fisher return next season, but...someone else
Fullback...If there are any good fullbacks available, we should draft one
Wide Reciever...several of them, preferably one that is a return threat
Tight End...this team hasnt had a blocking TE since Jeff Thomason
Offensive line...a center, it never hurt to have depth either

D-line...DT depth, and I say we use our first rounder to draft a solid DE opposite KGB
LB...Diggs can't stay healthy
CB...draft another one in case Thomas can't come healthy and Ahmad Caroll continues to dissapoint

we need A LOT, every pick we can get, especially if we get top 5, Thompson's gotta find a way to get more picks

Reaction score
Let's face it, Texans are early favourites to get the top pick. However, the Pack should be pretty high up there never the less. Also, don't forget we get compensatory picks from the league for loosing Whale and Rivera. I don't know about you, but I expect them to be pretty high picks. The Pack are about 20 million under the cap next year, so if anything, we should get to see TT employ his plan and actually have a cahnce to not be restrained by the cap, like this year. As too what we need:

RB: ****** is too injury prone, Green is old and gets winded quickly (not to mention the whole fumbling thing), and Fisher is 3rd down back for a reason. There are always good RB's in the bottom of the draft, but don't be surprised to see someone like Perry from Bengals being talked about as a guy the Pack go after via trade.

WR: we are set, but injuries will be causing players to return. DD is gold, but getting up there in age, Ferrgy is always banged up, Walker is returning from an injury, ditto for Murphy, and Chatman is an excellent 4th WR. Don't be surprised to see a FA pickup this offseason, but that is the extent to which TT should and hopefully will go.

TE: Martin and Lee have shown they are reliable. Regardless, Bubba is injured, and we need another blocking TE. Nothing more than a late 2nd day pick should be spent.

DE: Pack are in some trouble. KGB and Kampman, at this rate, will be done before the season is up. Playing in above 80% of your teams snaps are inexcusible, regardless of the reason. We need some good DE's who can rush and replace our starters. This is the most glaring position on our whole team, IMO. We should look at FA's who can help us, and also spend early first day pick on DE.

DT: Rotation is working, so why fix it if it ain't broke? We need another big Grady, and hopefully Washington steps into that role. Regardless, we should spend a Day 1 pick, I say 2nd or 3rd, on a DT that can step right in. But, don't be surprised to see us get a FA, or even resign Grady. Personally, I say we go after a FA who is good, but will come in cheap. Let Bates work his magic!

LB: We are good at this position. Poppinga and Manning are young, yet solid and continue to develop. Barnett is a fixture, and Diggs can hopefully get better next year and stay out of major injury trouble. If anything, a low radar FA might be the answer.

DB: At safety, we are set with Collins and Underwood. Roman has been solid, if nothing else. Maybe a late 2nd day pick at most.

CB: Al isn't getting younger, but he is still solid. Carroll is finally starting to look like a first round pick in the sense that he shows flashes of his abilty, but is still too inconsistent. Thomas is injured far too often. Hawkins is the wild card in all this. If he can step up, this is a decent unit, and regardless, should improve even more next year. Here is hoping Carroll shuts up and just focuses on getting better. At most, a FA pickup to solidify the spot is what I see.

K: Replace Longwell. The kid out of Arizona (Cardinals) is a good looking prospect, so why not take a chance on him? Either way, I like Ryan, but I think his days are numbered.

Coaches: TAKE OUT ROSSLEY!!!! Sherman won't be a gonner, he will get another chance. He has made too many mistakes, and its about time he step up and become a coach his record would suggest he is. AND FOR GOODNESS SAKES, BRING BACK THE GUY WHO WORKED WITH SANDERS THIS OFF-SEASON. I think he is someone who could help our eventual new kicker, and even Sander with his holding.

TT has a lot of work to do! But he is already scouting, and I trust TT. I trust MS... for now. Here is hoping #4 comes back, because lets face it, he IS and will be the main difference between a rebuilding Pack and a Playoff bound Pack. Rodgers is by no means ready yet.

Just my two cents.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
www.condraft.com

You have to creat a FREE account at the site above but it has rankings,a mock (we are second pick and get Bush) and a good breakdown of players. good site for the draft people.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Well at least we get Reggie Bush!

IPBprez said:
I'd offer my back yard for Muscy and Pack66 to brawl around in - but I like my lawn....

The one thing both of you are neglecting.....

Is how a Team can lose faith in the Coaching Staff... and then, themselves!

100% right on the money Prez !!!! Would you ride on a boat if the Captain seems to be unable to find his compass?? Would you play and give 110% for a HC that seems not to have a strong commitment with winning every game you play?

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm.. I don't see Houston taking Reggie or Leinart, but rather D'Brickashaw Ferguson.. San Fransisco will prolly end up getting Bush, the Jets may just get Leinart, and the Pack may get DeAngelo Williams if they don't trade down to get more picks.

Members online

Latest posts