Thompson Interviews

H

HardRightEdge

Thompson has a history of using his 30 interview allotment on lower round / UDFA prospects, some of whom have ended up with the team. Besides Bryce Petty, here a few more who are scheduled for visits according to WesHod:

Ricky Collins - WR - Texas A&M Commerce (Division II)
Matt LaCosse - TE - Illinois
Darius Kilgo - DT - Maryland
Darryl Roberts - CB - Texas Southern

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...chedule-visit-with-wr-ricky-collins/25471787/

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thompson has a history of using his 30 interview allotment on lower round / UDFA prospects, some of whom have ended up with the team. Besides Bryce Petty, here a few more who are scheduled for visits according to WesHod:

Ricky Collins - WR - Texas A&M Commerce (Division II)
Matt LaCross - TE - Illinois
Darius Kilgo - DT - Maryland
Darryl Roberts - CB - Texas Southern

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...chedule-visit-with-wr-ricky-collins/25471787/
Probably a good thing to do this since he's got 4 late round picks and then probably close to a dozen UDFA's coming in. Picks 150-600 should be fairly similar in athletic ability and they are mostly all developmental projects at that stage.

D

Deleted member 6794

More players who either have visited or are scheduled to visit the Packers: New Hampshire WR R.J. Harris, Delaware State DE Rodney Gunter, Houston DT Joey Mbu and Marshall CB Darryl Roberts.

Mbu and Roberts are wildly considered late round picks while Harris and Gunter will probably go undrafted.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I seems like the Packers have met with the following draft prospects (sources: WalterFootball, Packernews & various twitter accounts).

Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor (PRI)
Ryan Williams, QB, Miami (PRI)

Shane Carden, QB, East Carolina (SR, COM)
Cody Fajardo, QB, Nevada (PRO)
Nick Marshall, QB/CB, Auburn (COM)
Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State (COM)
Dominique Brown, RB, Louisville (EW)
Malcolm Brown, RB, Texas (EW)
Jalston Fowler, FB, Alabama (COM)
Aaron Ripkowski, FB, Oklahoma (PRI)
Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota (COM)
Clive Walford, TE, Miami (COM, PRO)
Tyler Kroft, TE, Rutgers (COM)
Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State (COM)
Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame (COM)
Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State (WOR)
Jesse James, TE, Penn State (PRI)
Matt LaCosse, TE, Illinois (PRI)

Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State (COM)
Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (COM)
Devin Funchess, WR/TE, Michigan (COM)
Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (COM)
Josh Harper, WR, Fresno State (COM)
Adrian Coxson, WR, Stony Brook (PRI)
Ricky Collins, WR, Texas A&M Commerce (PRI)
R.J. Harris, WR, New Hampshire (PRI)
Jordan Leslie, WR, BYU (PRI)
T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh (SR)
Blaine Clausell, OT, Mississippi State (PRI)
Andrew Donnal, OL, Iowa (COM)
Mitch Morse, OL, Missouri (COM)
Jamil Douglas, OL, Arizona State (COM)
Jamon Brown, OL, Louisville (COM)
Matt Rotheram, OL, Pittsburgh (PRI)

Danny Shelton, DT, Washington (SR, COM)
Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma (COM)
Joey Mbu, DT, Houston (WOR)
Darius Kilgo, DT, Maryland (PRI)
Rodney Gunter, DE, Delaware State (PRI)
Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska (PRI)

Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State (COM)
Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami (SR)
Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (COM)
Ramik Wilson, ILB, Georgia (COM)
Jordan Hicks, ILB, Texas (COM)
Bryce Hager, ILB, Baylor (PRI)
Jeff Luc, ILB, Cincinnati (PRI)
Tony Steward, ILB, Clemson (PRI)

Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest (INT)
Eric Rowe, CB, Utah (INT)

Marcus Peters, CB, Washington (COM)
Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee (EW)
Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville (COM)
Darryl Roberts, CB, Marshall (PRI)
Tray Walker, CB, Texas Southern (PRI)

Tevin McDonald, S, Eastern Washington (EW)

Courtland Clavette, LS, Brown (PRO)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

So I seems like the Packers have met with the following draft prospects (sources: WalterFootball, Packernews & various twitter accounts).

Cody Fajardo, QB, Nevada (PRO)
Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State (COM)
Dominique Brown, RB, Louisville (EW)
Malcolm Brown, RB, Texas (EW)
Clive Walford^, TE, Miami (COM, PRO)
Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota (COM)

T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh (SR)

Danny Shelton, DT, Washington (SR, COM)
Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma (COM)
Joey Mbu, DT, Houston (WOR)

Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State (INT)
Denzel Perryman, OLB/ILB, Miami (SR)
Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (INT)
Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest (INT)
Eric Rowe, CB, Utah (INT)

Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee (EW)

Tevin McDonald, S, Eastern Washington (EW)

Courtland Clavette, LS, Brown (PRO)
That's interesting. I'd assume the following:

SR - Senior Bowl
EW - East West Shrine Game
COM - Combine
PRO - Pro Day
PRI - Most of these names are recently reported private visits among the 30 allotted.
WOR - Looks like "workout", maybe same as PRI, with Mbu being the only guy so designated.

What do you think INT means other than undefined "interview"?

Randy Gregory in a private interview? Perhaps Thompson believes he might drop out of the top 15 because of the failed drug test (marijuana) and wants to explore his mind set. Wouldn't that be something. A top edge rusher prospect to supplant Perry when Matthews plays the middle would go some ways in fixing what ails. Unlike Perry, who also happens to be in his contract year, Gregory actually looks and plays like a stand-up pass rusher. Peppers is season-to-season as well. Perhaps a trade up if he falls far enough and the opportunity presents itself? I'd be excited about that turn of events.

Clive Wolford was interviewed twice, including his Pro Day. Shelton twice also, but not since the Combine where he established himself out of reach.

Neither Kendricks nor Dawson are mentioned; the other 3 of the 5 usual suspects at ILB are noted. It's hard to say if that's significant since this is likely a partial list.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Randy Gregory in a private interview? Perhaps Thompson believes he might drop out of the top 15 because of the failed drug test (marijuana) and wants to explore his mind set. Wouldn't that be something. A top edge rusher prospect to supplant Perry when Matthews plays the middle would go some ways in fixing what ails. Unlike Perry, who also happens to be in his contract year, Gregory actually looks and plays like a stand-up pass rusher. Peppers is season-to-season as well. Perhaps a trade up if he falls far enough and the opportunity presents itself? I'd be excited about that turn of events.

I would be excited if Gregory drops and the Packers select him at #30. But I highly doubt that will happen.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score

SR - Senior Bowl
EW - East West Shrine Game
COM - Combine
PRO - Pro Day
PRI - Most of these names are recently reported private visits among the 30 allotted.
WOR - Looks like "workout", maybe same as PRI, with MBU being the only guy so designated.

Yes, indeed. I used the same designation as WalterFootball (basically, 80/90% of the list is copied from WalterFootball. PRI is a visit to the team facility. WOR is a individual work-out.

What do you think INT means other than undefined "interview"?

INT means that the Packers are reportedly interested a particular guy (we might assume that they actually met with these guys, but that is not certain). All those 4 cases have been reported by Tony Pauline.

Don't get too excited, according to Adam Schefter Gregory has visited/will visit ALL 32 teams this month! I think the Packers (and the other teams) are doing their due-diligence, which makes a lot of sense after the failed drug test.

Neither Kendricks nor Dawson are mentioned; the other 3 of the 5 usual suspects at ILB are noted. It's hard to say if that's significant since this is likely a partial list.

This is probably a partial list. I think that team tries to keep it a secret with who they meet, but some agents will tell the media anyway. My guess is that the Packers have met with Kendricks at some point, but nothing is reported. I think that it is even more unlikely that the Packers didn't meet with Dawson, considering the character red flags. But again nothing is reported.

Last year the Packers didn't draft a single guy form this "visit-tracker-list" (but they signed Fullington and Joe Thomas as free agents). On the other hand in 2013 the Packers drafted Bakhtiari, Palmer, Johnson and Dorsey from the "visit-tracker-list", and also signed Lane Taylor as a free agent.

Keep in mind, last year Tom Savage, David Fales, Keith Wenning and Brock Jensen visited the Packers. So the fact that Bryce Petty visited the Packers might not say much.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I would be excited if Gregory drops and the Packers select him at #30. But I highly doubt that will happen.
Oh, I'm fairly certain it won't happen. But it might get interesting if he drops into the 20's.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks or Dawson not being on our radar may mean we'll wait until the 2nd round to address ILB? We may go CB or DL with the first pick? Who knows.....

D

Deleted member 6794

Kendricks or Dawson not being on our radar may mean we'll wait until the 2nd round to address ILB? We may go CB or DL with the first pick? Who knows.....

Thompson normally uses the Packers 30 pre-draft visits on late round prospects or players probably going undrafted. That doesn't mean they haven't talked to other draft eligible guys nor does it indicate a direction Thompson will go with the first round pick.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. This list is incomplete. The Packers might have met with these guys at some point. Not all visit are known by the media.
2. It's not uncommon to select guys without meeting them. Especially early in the draft. Teams probably already know a lot about these guys. So I wouldn't rule out Kendricks too soon. (see the comment by Captain!)
3. Regarding Dawson. There are some character concerns, so I would be a bad sign for him if the team doesn't meet with him. (But then again, see 1)

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report DE Randy Gregory seems to have trouble keeping weight on. He showed up for a team workout under 230 pounds which could be another red flag for teams.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Mathews new home for the second half his career will be GBs version of Ray Lewis... That said. Peppers is going to need to be replaced withing a few years. And most likely after next year when he gets his ring, and the contract is up... Perry and Neal are respectable. Elliot, and Mulamba(if healed properly) are good prospects... But in all reality, TT loves his OLB, and might want another blue chipper for his collection.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated list (private visits only):

Ryan Williams, QB, Miami (PRI)

Malcolm Johnson, TE/FB, Mississippi State (PRI)
Mitchell Henry, TE, Western Kentucky (PRI)
Kennard Backman, TE, UAB (PRI)

Jordan Leslie, WR, BYU (PRI)

Blaine Clausell, OT, Mississippi State (PRI)
Matt Rotheram, OL, Pittsburgh (PRI)

Bryce Hager, ILB, Baylor (PRI)
Tony Steward, ILB, Clemson (PRI)

Robertson Daniel, CB/S, BYU (PRI)
Ryan Murphy, S, Oregon State (PRI)

D

Deleted member 6794

good. I was thinking it was a 2 year deal, but now that you mention it I remember 3 now. GOOD!!! Peppers is a beast that will be missed when he does go.

It's possible that either Peppers retires after next season or the Packers don't want to bring him back for 2016 at a cap hit of $10.5 million.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picked by us:
Kennard Backman, TE, UAB (PRI)

Signed by us:
Matt Rotheram, OL, Pittsburgh
Adrian Coxson, WR, Stony Brook
Mitchell Henry, TE, Western Kentucky
Ricky Collins, WR, Texas A&M Commerce

Darfted by other teams: