Arrigo's Packers Mock V.7.0

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will receive a 4th round comp pick for Cullen Jenkins, a 4th for Daryn Colledge, a 7th for Brandon Jackson & Jason Spitz to go along with the Jets 7th round pick they obtained at the end of training camp.

This draft I see Thompson focusing on the defense but trying to add quality players when he can on offense. None of the offensive players would be expected to make an instant impact in 2012, unlike last year with Randall Cobb, rather fill-out the roster and provide even more depth to an already deep team.

I think the following players will be traded/cut/released, not re-signed or retire:

Chad Clifton
Scott Wells (Signed by St. Louis)
Matt Flynn (Signed by Seattle)

Ryan Grant
Howard Green
Erik Walden
Frank Zombo
Pat Lee (signed by Oakland)

I think the following players will be or have been re-signed

JerMichael Finley (re-signed 2 years $14+ million)
Donald Driver (restructured contract)
Jarrett Bush (re-signed 3years undisclosed dollar amount)Nick Collins (returns from neck injury)
Jeff Saturday (2 years $7.7 million)
Daniel Muir
Anthony Hargrove

Packers Mock V.7.0

Round 1: Whitney Mercilus- OLB- Illinois:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The Packers need to find a player to bookend Clay Matthews III, who can get to the QB. Mercilus can do that. He is an outstanding athlete that has a great burst, always hustles and gives a second and even third effort. He has the ability to cause cause fumbles as well as rush from the inside (and outside). At times he let's OL engage him and has trouble disengaging them. Has to play with better pad level (lower) and needs to be coached up on pass rush moves. Also has to show he can cover. If the Packers wanted a "Packers Person" opposite of Matthews III, Mercilus is him. He may go higher, but from some things I gathered from a few scouting people I know, he very well could be there when the Packers pick at #28.

Round 2
: Trumaine Johnson-CB/S- Montana:

The Packers need to make sure they have depth in the secondary and Johnson provides that. He has size (6'2/205), good strength (19 reps) and plays faster then his timed speed (4.61) on film. The Packers could use Johnson as a Safety or CB in their scheme and depending on need. He has the size they look for, long arms, athletic, fluid, soft hands, can jump with almost any player and has a high upside. But he does have stiff hips, needs to break down when tackling better, needs to play more consistent and prove he can play at the NFL level. Johnson would thrive in an environment like Green Bay and with the Packers DB coaches. With Woodson getting older, Shields regressing and Davon House getting an expanded role, Johnson could come in and be brought along slowly as a CB. As a Safety, with Nick Collins future in doubt, he could get playing time quickly.

Round 3: Trevor Guyton- DE- Cal:

The Packers need to find a player that can play DE (5 tech) next to BJ Raji. That player should be strong, play the run well and get to the QB at times. Guyton is a leader. He has good strength, plays with good leverage, can control the LOS, is a strong tackler, is smart and is powerful. But Guyton also isn't a refined pass rusher, plays too high at times and doesn't use his hands as well as I would like. With Thompson signing (or agreeing) with Anthony Hargrove to go along with Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson, Guyton will provide depth, a high upside and the type of effort to make him a successful player.

Round 4 (1): David Molk- C- Michigan: Scott Wells left via FA (the Rams) and Thompson signed Jeff Saturday to a really nice deal and the offense shuldn't skip a beat. But Molk brings that nasty that the Packers O-Line needs more of. He would be a great compliment to the Packers young O-Line that has gotten better over the past few years and would learn a ton from Saturday as well. He has good technique but needs to sit and learn under a veteran for a year or two.

Round 4 (2): Cyrus Grey- RB- Texas A&M
Grey fits the Packers running scheme nicely and would be a solid compliment to James Starks. He had a great combine capped off by running a 4.47. Some scouts question if he can be an every down back, but with the Packers and Mike McCarthy using a RB by committee, Grey would be fine.

Round 4 (3): Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma

Broyles has the ability to be a 1st round guy but he tore his knee up his senior year and he will most likely start the year on PUP or IR. He reminds me of Greg Jennings, he's fluid, soft hands and understands the WR position. At this point he'd be a steal IF he were to be there.

Round 5: Akiem Hicks- DL- Regina
Hicks is a RAW prospect that has crazy tools and off the chart measurable's (6'4,/324, 84' wingspan). He was supposed to attend LSU but there were some recruiting issues that didn't allow Hicks to go play for the Tigers. Hicks needs work on technique and displays nice overall quickness. He has the look of a sleeper and potential to be a stud.

Round 6: Justin Bethel-S- Presbyterian:

The Packers need to add depth at certain positions. Bethel can play S or CB. He is a high character person that has a skill set that has intrigued many front office personnel, including Ted Thompson. Bethel is smooth with his back peddle and plants & drives well. He can jump out the roof and has shown to be durable during his 4 year career at Presbyterian. He also is an exceptional gunner on ST, though he needs to improve his tackling. His technique is raw and he still has to develop better ball skills. This is a high character kid that is mature and motivated.

Round 7 (1): Case Keenum- QB- Houston:

I like Keenum more then most people. I think he has the basic fundamentals to be a guy that can develop into a solid NFL back-up QB. He has experience in the spread offense and is accurate. Like Matt Flynn his arm strength is a question mark, but learning under Mike McCarthy, Tom Clements and the Packers new QB coach McAdoo and attending McCarthy's QB camp, he could be another Flynn.

Round 7 (2): Chris Greenwood- CB- Albion

I really like this kid A LOT! Greenwood has the size (6'1/196) and projected speed (4.37) to intrigue teams late in the draft. The level of competition is a huge question with Greenwood. He literally shut down half of the field for 3 years while attending Albion. Greenwood also has the type of personality that would make him a perfect fit in the Green Bay locker room, humble, hard working and eager to learn. This kid is more of an athlete then CB right now, but if Joe Whitt Jr. can tap into his potential like he did Shields a couple years ago, the Packers would be suddenly deep at CB.

Round 7 (3): Bryce Brown-RB- Kansas St.

Brown Brown has all the tools to be a stud. Size, speed, hands, vision and burst. But he wasn't able to put it all together while at K-State and flashed it big while at Tennessee. Brown's ability will most likely get him drafted late and the Packers would be a perfect spot for him to go.

Round 7 (4): Brandon Ewing- FB- Wisconsin

Ewing would be used to back-up Kuhn and play ST. He can run block, he has to playing at Wisconsin, and would provide insurance should Kuhn's knee not be ready to go early in camp.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be very surprised to see DD back on the field for the Pack in 2012.

Great mock draft btw

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we listen to the rumors, Packers may be interested in trading up for a premier pass rusher like Fletcher Cox or Courtney Upshaw. If they don't then Whitney Mercilus at #28 is a pick I would not have a problem with at all. I think the 1-year wonder questions about him aren't anything to worry about. He seems like the real deal.

Regarding your #1 pick. One rumor has it that the Packers could go after Dont'a Hightower if he's still on the board at #28. The feeling is that it would be easy to convert him to an OLB. Which would you prefer of the two?

Regarding your #2 and #3 picks. Would you prefer Trumaine Johnson if Chase Minnifield is still on the board?

This one's a longer shot, but if Jerel Worthy is still around for our 3rd pick (let's say we trade up), would you still go with Trevor Guyton? Also, what about Kendall Reyes? He's a projected 2nd rounder. We may be able to trade up and nab him.

Reyes or Guyton?

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Hightower, a lot. I think he has the ability to play anywhere as a 3/4 LB. My thinking is he would be gone by the time the Packers pick, hence leaving Mercilus available.

I don't like to project trades in my mocks (although I do SOMETIMES) because no one truly knows what another team would give up to move up. Cox would be nice, but he may go top 15.

Minnifiled has some questions regarding his knees (which translates over to speed/health) and I think Johnson arguably is the best athlete at the DB position in this years draft.

I think Worthy goes higher as well. It's the 3rd round, he's a guy that could go in the later parts of round 1 to mid 3rd round, so I doubt he'll be available in late round 3.

I am not as big of fan of reyes after watching more tape on him. While I'd support the pick IF Thompson were to draft him, I personally don't think he's a huge upgrade. Not to mention, most scouts I talk to have him going late 1 early 2 to a 4/3 team.

I like what Guyton brings to the table as a player and person. When I do a mock, I try to consider that because Thompson does (in the early rounds).

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trumaine in second round? Naa, that's not gonna happen, and if - i think he's going to be a bust in GB (TT haven't had any luck in drafting big corners), would rather see these 2 undersized CB's, Casey Hayward and Dwight Bentley, tho it would be much needed with a real physical corner.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In response to your 1st two round Arrigo, I know you don't take into account trade-ups or downs, but what I'd like to see is:

Round 1: Whitney M. or Andre Branch.
Round 2: trade-up for Jerel Worthy.

I think those two picks would do wonders for our pass rush and overall defense.

Members online

Latest posts