THIS YEAR AS PACKER FANS . . .

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . . . we will truly start to appreciate football again.

Over the pat 10 years we have become pampered with Favre, success or at least the expectation of success.

This year we have a young team that is not as talented as other teams, but they will try hard and try to win.

As fans, we will appreciate that and our love for this team will grow deeper. ITS EASY TO LOVE A WINNER. IT TAKES DEDICATION TO LOVE A LOSER. We will keep on watching and listening to the games even though the season may already be over. Why? Because we want to and we have no choice. Its in the blood.

Anything above 8-8 would be great. Otherwise I look forward to beating the Bears and the Queens when all the experts say we should be blown away. It may be one of those years where I consider it a good year if we send the bears and Queens home crying at least once each.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After last night.....1-15. They'll beat Green Bay West HS.

Oh, wait. West isn't on the schedule....................0-16.

Sorry, but they looked just terrible, both offense and defense.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, I don't see a whole lot of talent on this team. Rarely has one of our castoffs been picked up over the last 4 years and the ones that have haven't had any real success. That means that our scouting for the last several years has been way off - and you can't build a contender like that.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the bright side, we may be first in line to take Brady Quinn in next season's draft.

Wait... What am I saying. It's only Week 3 of preseason. No need to start with the end of the world theories yet. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MontanaBob said:

Did anyone really expect the Packers to go into Cincinnati and come out with a win? There's a big difference between the Falcons and the Bengals.

No doubt the Packers will handle the lowly Titans on Friday night.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
On the bright side, we may be first in line to take Brady Quinn in next season's draft.

Wait... What am I saying. It's only Week 3 of preseason. No need to start with the end of the world theories yet. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

It is to early to jump into the bomb shelter but if they play like this week1, make some room for me.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you Porky but I won't get ruffled over preseason. If we look good next week everyone will be thinking again about how much potential we have. I think a true assesment will have to wait till after the Bears game. Even then if they win big week 2 against the Saints everyone will be pumped again. Could go on like this all year

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:
I'm with you Porky but I won't get ruffled over preseason. If we look good next week everyone will be thinking again about how much potential we have. I think a true assesment will have to wait till after the Bears game. Even then if they win big week 2 against the Saints everyone will be pumped again. Could go on like this all year

I've watched every NFC North pre season game. No team looked as good as GB did against Atlanta but no team looked as bad as they did against Cincy. Definately to early to give up but looking at this game you can tell they're is work to be done and they might be behind schedule.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
MontanaBob said:

Did anyone really expect the Packers to go into Cincinnati and come out with a win? There's a big difference between the Falcons and the Bengals.

No doubt the Packers will handle the lowly Titans on Friday night.
I think Cincy was treating it more like a regular season game, with return of Palmer and whatnot. Still, no excuses for the poor showing.
Hammer

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Vikings looked really good but one they have is they at least looked solid each game. The way they seem to play they won't be awesome but at least they'll be in every game. I wish the Pack could look a little more consistent so we know where we're at. The Bears though have looked worse then I expected so it's a wide open division. Oh the reason I didn't mention the Lions......well you know they're the Lions

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
It is to early to jump into the bomb shelter but if they play like this week1, make some room for me.

LOL.

I am not ready to throw in the towel before regular season even begins.

The thing I am most concerned about is that it appears so far that the problems that have been nagging this team for the past two preseasons have not been addressed. I will admit TT has done a good job of retaining key players rather than let them go to the FA, but this does nothing to actually improve anything. The part that really pissed me off was the constant chatter that TT was right for passing on veteran talent in the FA because they were either "too old" or "overpriced". Coincidentally, the same posters who made the aforementioned comments were generally the ones who praised TT for bringing in the dregs of other teams because they were "the right size for this system". Sometimes I wonder how much Madden these guys play. Granted a player needs to be the right size, but without any talent, they will never do anything for you. This is why these "overpriced" veterans cost so much, and why the second-string benchwarmers generally do not.

TT's signings on defense looked like upgrades over who we had, but to date there has been no evidence that is the case. Signing Woodson to a huge contract only served to alienate Harris, who is the best CB on this team and now may be a holdout next year as a result. Despite all of this, I see light at the end of the tunnel for the defense, especially with the addition of Hawk and Hodge to the LB corps. Whether it happens sooner or later, these guys will make an impact on defense.

I understand the necessity of bringing in young talent for the future, but without veteran players to learn from, it is a lot rougher road for them. The fact our offense is made up of precious few good veterans, and mostly rookies and veteran players that never panned out, is creating huge problems for Favre. Couples with a brand-new head coach and new offensive scheme, it is little wonder the Pack can't seem to get it together on offense.

TT came into this season with the most cap room after the Queens. He then passed on veteran talent that would have helped the floundering offense, and instead chose to constanly bring in castoffs from other teams that never had a chance in the first place. Only after Favre made public comments that he would retire unless something was done, did TT open the pursestrings and bring in Woodson. I was happy about the Woodson signing, and will reserve judgement on this move until Woodson faces the Bears on Week One. I really hope he is worth the cash we paid for him.

I completely understand the need to build through the draft, but that being said, you also need talent to help the rookies and show leadership on the field. IMO, this is not being done in Green Bay righ now. TT has for the most part turned his back on the FA, and is focusing on 3rd-6th round picks to flesh out the team. Unfortunately, when you run a professional sports team on the cheap, the end result is what we are slowly getting used to seeing.

I can well imagine the comments that will come my way from this post. No doubt I will be questioned on my loyalty to the team, if not called an "idiot" or an "*******" for simply posting my observations and opinions. Personally, it has always been my experience that people only resort to namecalling once they realize they have completely lost the debate.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
The thing I am most concerned about is that it appears so far that the problems that have been nagging this team for the past two preseasons have not been addressed. I will admit TT has done a good job of retaining key players rather than let them go to the FA, but this does nothing to actually improve anything. The part that really pissed me off was the constant chatter that TT was right for passing on veteran talent in the FA because they were either "too old" or "overpriced". Coincidentally, the same posters who made the aforementioned comments were generally the ones who praised TT for bringing in the dregs of other teams because they were "the right size for this system". Sometimes I wonder how much Madden these guys play. Granted a player needs to be the right size, but without any talent, they will never do anything for you. This is why these "overpriced" veterans cost so much, and why the second-string benchwarmers generally do not.
I think the front office of Green Bay has overvalued they're current talent level. After this season I think they might wake up. I still like the Pickett and Woodson signing. I'm not going to thrash them like Joe Johnson... Net yet after one pre season game but I can see and understand the frustration. Manuel really needs to have a good showing Friday though. Woodson and Pickett are proven players in this league. Manuel was a fill in for Ken Hamlin in Seattle. That’s the difference I see with those 3 players.

Oh and I no for one I can make Larry Allen work in the zone block scheme on Madden. That's because it's a video game. Real life someone 340 pounds would never work. The problem in running the scheme is it's not very common. I wanted GB to sign Tom Ashworth and try him out at Guard or tackle and maybe move Tauscher to guard then. GB never made an attempt with him.

Ultimately though I'm back to square one with the coaching staff. I really don't think our D would give up 41 points with Jim Bates at the helm.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I think the front office of Green Bay has overvalued they're current talent level. After this season I think they might wake up. I still like the Pickett and Woodson signing. I'm not going to thrash them like Joe Johnson... Net yet after one pre season game but I can see and understand the frustration. Manuel really needs to have a good showing Friday though. Woodson and Pickett are proven players in this league. Manuel was a fill in for Ken Hamlin in Seattle. That’s the difference I see with those 3 players.

I thought Pickett and Woodson were good signings as well. They just aren't producing right now. As stated before, I think the defense will come on. The question is will it be sooner or later.

porky88 said:
Oh and I no for one I can make Larry Allen work in the zone block scheme on Madden. That's because it's a video game. Real life someone 340 pounds would never work. The problem in running the scheme is it's not very common. I wanted GB to sign Tom Ashworth and try him out at Guard or tackle and maybe move Tauscher to guard then. GB never made an attempt with him.

TT didn't make an attempt with a lot of things he should have. I am not going to say what he should do, because I am not the one being paid to manage the Packers. However, he has had two preseasons to improve this team and to date, has only a 4-12 season to show for his efforts. If this season has a more abysmal record than last, I think it will be time to look for a new GM.

porky88 said:
Ultimately though I'm back to square one with the coaching staff. I really don't think our D would give up 41 points with Jim Bates at the helm.

We are 100% in agreement on that one. TT's biggest mistake of his tenure thus far was letting Jim Bates walk out the door.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Reaction score
Anubis said:
porky88 said:

We are 100% in agreement on that one. TT's biggest mistake of his tenure thus far was letting Jim Bates walk out the door.

:(

The worse part of all? Knowing Coach Bates is still on the market keeping up to date with the Packer info..... but we can't get him.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The worse part of all? Knowing Coach Bates is still on the market keeping up to date with the Packer info..... but we can't get him.

Probably laughing to himself while doing it.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll tell you what maybe Thompson will fire McCarthy if we do go 3-13 and right his wrong and hire Bates. That's what I would do. 3-13 is unacceptable even if you are rebuilding. We have an easy schedule.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I'll tell you what maybe Thompson will fire McCarthy if we do go 3-13 and right his wrong and hire Bates. That's what I would do. 3-13 is unacceptable even if you are rebuilding. We have an easy schedule.

So you would be in favor of keeping TT after throwing away another couple mil? Especially after throwing away about 6 mil on Sherm. That's what I want......a GM that has basically hired three different coaching staffs in three seasons :roll:

If the Packers go 3-13 it's on TT. Don't worry though, Favre will pull his **** outta the fire for another year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:

So you would be in favor of keeping TT after throwing away another couple mil? Especially after throwing away about 6 mil on Sherm. That's what I want......a GM that has basically hired three different coaching staffs in three seasons :roll:

If the Packers go 3-13 it's on TT. Don't worry though, Favre will pull his **** outta the fire for another year.

Money spent on coaches doesn't count towards the salary cap.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've said it before & i'll say it again...we are rebuilding. you have to expect some rough seasons ahead. who's to blame? everyone & nobody. this is how the NFL is designed. those of you who thought we were a season away from the playoffs or thought we had a chance to get in this season...this was your wake-up call.

whatever the season brings, i will ALWAYS support the packers. living in illinois & dealing with da bears fans is gonna SUCK the BIG ONE though!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DePack said:
porky88 said:

So???? It's still money! HE blew his first shot at selecting a head coach. If he blew his second shot (and I'm not saying he did...you are), he shouldn't get a third shot!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Maybe so, but it doesn't create much consistancy for the team. If we go 3-13, TT should be **********. He made the coaching hires, he ignored big-name FA acquisitions, he made the draft picks and as such, he should be held accountable.

If we beat last season's record, I would be willing to see if he can continue to improve the franchise. However, we were a 10-6 playoff contender before he came to GB, and I will not accept a GM who's decisions (or lack thereof) are running the team into the ground.

We do not need another Matt Millen in Green Bay.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:
DePack said:
porky88 said:

So???? It's still money! HE blew his first shot at selecting a head coach. If he blew his second shot (and I'm not saying he did...you are), he shouldn't get a third shot!

I'm not saying he did. I'm saying if the team goes 3-13 it wouldn't be ridiculous to look at a change. Ron Wolf fired Ray Rhodes and that entire staff after one season. Thompson could be put in a similar situation. I don't think Thompson will get fired until Aaron Rodgers sees the field. I think he'll get at least 4 years in Green Bay. That's just the feeling I got.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
i've said it before & i'll say it again...we are rebuilding. you have to expect some rough seasons ahead. who's to blame? everyone & nobody. this is how the NFL is designed. those of you who thought we were a season away from the playoffs or thought we had a chance to get in this season...this was your wake-up call.

whatever the season brings, i will ALWAYS support the packers. living in illinois & dealing with da bears fans is gonna SUCK the BIG ONE though!!

agreed 4packgirl, also its the preseason quit with the 3-13 and or worse in 2004 Carolina goes 4-0 in preseason but in the season fel 7-9 (which isn't bad) but my point is if you go 1-3, 2-2, 0-4 whatever doesn't equal to your season standing, a lot of things can happen. Maybe everyone was having an off nightn maybe in the first game they'll lose 40-0 maybe they'll WIN 40-0, nobody knows. And if they go 0-16 five years ain a row how many Packer fans will stop supporting them, if you would stop supporting them you cant be a REAL fan

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cyoung said:
And if they go 0-16 five years ain a row how many Packer fans will stop supporting them, if you would stop supporting them you cant be a REAL fan

C'mon... If they go 0-16 five consecutive years, a REAL fan would lead the charge to the front office and start stringing up the management! :p

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts