The veteran fa rbs vs rookie rbs

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you in the sense that a really good RB like Lacy can make a big difference and that is why I would prefer to take a chance earlier rather than later if the right guy is there. I kind of disagree with you on Monty. Though I am not sure he can be the main back I think he can be a very effective one. I know good guys can be found later but as you say below...

The key part of your original post was if one drops or if the player matches the value at the position. I certainly don't want Ted reaching for a 2nd round talent in the first round or any other round just to get a RB high in the draft but if a player drops certainly grab him. That probably leaves out the first round because the only 3 possibilities would be Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey and I don't think any of them will drop to 29 (but if one did I'd be happy as hell if Ted took him, maybe less so with McCaffery but I'd still be OK with it) The second round is probably more likely where a talent will fall to he later part of the round and while I can't think of any names off the top of my head just from what I have been reading there are a few I wouldn't mind if they were taken here.

I've left out Mixon simply because of the off the field incident but to be honest if Ted were to take him in the first I would be OK with it and if he was there in the second (which I highly doubt) I'd be more than happy if Ted took him. If there is no one in the first two rounds then I would hope Ted addresses the situation later because I am not thrilled about any of the veteran FAs (other than maybe Blount) and I'm not super thrilled about the idea of the Monty and Michael show (I'm OK with the Monty part of it).

Obviously a superstar RB is not a cure all. All you have to do is look at Peterson in Minnesota or Sanders in Detroit to know a RB can't bring the ring all by himself but when you pair a star RB with a star QB it makes everything so much easier. In fact, with QB like Rodgers I'd much rather have a top 5 RB than a top 5 WR because we all know Rodgers can make a WR and the RB will only make that easier.

Keep in mind I'm an old school guy. I love the running game. I'd rather see a RB with 30 carries a game than a QB with 30 pass attempts (I'm speaking in general terms, obviously with a QB like Rodgers you want him throwing the ball) I think running plays are more exciting than passing plays for most of the yards gained and certainly anything over 10 yards. My first favorite players in the NFL were Czonka and Kick. I loved watching Oklahoma and Nebraska team up for a whopping 10 pass attempts and 500 yards rushing. My favorite non packer player of all time is Walter Payton My favorite current (although unemployed) non packer s Jamal Charles and my favorite Packer player to watch was Ahman Green. So with all that said I really want the Packers to get a true #1 RB. A guy like they had with Lacy until whatever it was that happened to him happened to him. I don't necessarily want them to become a run first team I just want a guy who opposing coaches have to account for every time he is in the game. A guy who can carry the team for a game or a half if he really has to. I know that's asking a lot and we all want that but I just think too many people are undervaluing what a really good RB can do for a team. Yes you can find RB talent late in the draft and high picks can bust but I just think your odds are better of finding "that guy" if you take a chance on a higher rated player instead of just poking and hoping on late on day three.

All that said Ted had better take a CB in the first round, no matter who it is, or I'll be so pissed :rolleyes:
I Had mentioned that Ty is not our solution at RB. I believe that he will be actually a disappointment this year. Overall I think you and I agree with us needing a true #1 RB

I think we should definitely get a CB, but I think our current group will make a significant jump. Remember before last season when we thought our secondary was going to be unstoppable? I think the lack of production had to do with injuries. I believe that part of defense will improve significantly. However, our front guys on defense need a big upgrade. Clay has been done. Perry is ok, Daniels is off and on and Clark isn't going to amount to much. Sorry for going a bit off topic

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I Had mentioned that Ty is not our solution at RB. I believe that he will be actually a disappointment this year. Overall I think you and I agree with us needing a true #1 RB

I think we should definitely get a CB, but I think our current group will make a significant jump. Remember before last season when we thought our secondary was going to be unstoppable? I think the lack of production had to do with injuries. I believe that part of defense will improve significantly. However, our front guys on defense need a big upgrade. Clay has been done. Perry is ok, Daniels is off and on and Clark isn't going to amount to much. Sorry for going a bit off topic
Wow, if what you say is true about Matthews, Perry, Clark and Daniels we need the first 4 picks in this draft to be either D-linemen or OLB's.

I don't see the situation in the front 7 to be near as dire as that.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, if what you say is true about Matthews, Perry, Clark and Daniels we need the first 4 picks in this draft to be either D-linemen or OLB's.

I don't see the situation in the front 7 to be near as dire as that.

Perry has a history of injuries. Mathews can be labeled injury prone as well and he hasn't really been relevant for a while. Daniels is ok, but he is more talk than what he does. And Clark for being a first rounder didn't make much of an impact. Dean Lowry showed more than him

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can agree that some high quality dline help would force capers to play a stronger front. Helping the lbs get open to rush. All of which will help the dbacks do their jobs...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can agree that some high quality dline help would force capers to play a stronger front. Helping the lbs get open to rush. All of which will help the dbacks do their jobs...
I think that Clark making a nice jump this season would by itself improve the effectiveness of the entire defense.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have the stats on Belichick's drafting results? I'm guessing it's close to average (14-18) on his hit rate.

My comment has nothing to do with New England's or Belicheat's drafting prowess. I'm pointing out that they handle distraction-type players extremely well and it never appears to factor negatively towards their success. Marty-Saurus Rex, Chad Johnson, Blount, Moss, Brandon Spikes weren't known to be great locker room players.

Going back to the original topic, we don't require a 3-down back, although it would be nice, Blount supplies what the Packers do not have. A big physical presence that can get the short yardage. If we don't land a rookie RB capable of 15+ snaps a game for 1st & 2nd down. Then Blount would be a priority (IMO) @ 6' 250 lbs, he could work well and the Packers could easily afford his services.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is going to appear again, please explain to an old guy what it means. :)

I had posted something, but decided I didn't like it so since I didn't know how to delete it, I erased everything and replaced it with "nvm" which means never mind. looking at it now, there's a delete button right next to edit lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand that. However the difference in talent from a 1st rounder to a 4th-5th rounder is very significant. If they have an opportunity to pick up a guy who can come in a be a difference maker right away. Then they shouldn't pass up on him just because they are being stubborn.

The running back class is supposedly pretty deep in this year's draft. Therefore I don't see the need to spend an early rounder at the position, especially as the Packers don't need a player rushing the ball 20+ times a game.

However, our front guys on defense need a big upgrade. Clay has been done. Perry is ok, Daniels is off and on and Clark isn't going to amount to much. Sorry for going a bit off topic

Perry has been extremely effective when heatlhy and it's possible Matthews bounces back next year. Daniels is an elite defensive lineman and Clark significantly improved over the course of last season.

The situation in the front seven isn't nearly as bleak as you suggest although the team needs to add quality depth.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had posted something, but decided I didn't like it so since I didn't know how to delete it, I erased everything and replaced it with "nvm" which means never mind. looking at it now, there's a delete button right next to edit lol

Thanks. Glad it took a while for you to find the 'delete', as I now know one more Internet abbreviation. :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think we are in complete agreement on the RB situation other than Montgomery. I think he will be better than you are expecting IF he is not called upon to carry the load as a #1 RB. If Ted drafts someone with the idea that he is going to be the #1 and he steps up allowing Monty to settle into a 10-15 touches a game (carries and catches ) instead of a 15-20 carry a game guy I think he will be very effective. If Monty is counted on to get 15-20+carries a game I'm not so sure he will be as reliable. I think his usefulness will come more in spelling the #1 and being that receiving threat out of the backfield and just being the unknown.

Monty switching positions has a lot of people worried but I don't think its as big a deal as some people think. From what I understand he played the position some in college and from another source I heard it was the position he preferred in the NFL. A full training camp at the position should make a big difference. Some people point to his size and other attributes as limiting factors but others have pointed out that his size is similar to other successful backs so I'm not sure that is an issue.

Bottom line is I want to see a true #1 20+ carry a game back in Green Bay like we had with Lacy for the first 2 years. I don't agree with the "running backs are a dime a dozen and we can find one that will be OK anywhere" mentality. I don't really care if we get him in the 1st round or the 5th round as long as we get him. I'd prefer a guy who can step in right away and not some late day 3 or UDFA developmental prospect. If we can get a guy like Jordan Howard in the 4th round I'm all for it but if it takes a 1st or second rounder to get him I'm all for that as well. Again, it all depends on who is available when its our turn to pick or whoever may be in reach if Ted decides to move up or down. Don't reach for ANY player just to fill the position.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts