The veteran fa rbs vs rookie rbs

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read about the raiders saying to Lynch , that he needs to be traded before the draft... the rb position is one that a rookie can step in and be pretty good from day one. And also the current trend that rbs are just not that important... even a couple beastly hall of famers can't get a big offer.

Leverage would shift from Oakland to Seattle and Lynch, if the draft were to come and go, and the raiders don't draft a replacement for latvius Murray... raiders have to draft a rb...

This is a deep rb draft, I'm told. And it's a guarantee Ted will add a few 7 th rd and undrafted rbs to fill the ranks. We also have Montgomery/Michael to fall back on... say we don't draft a rb early to snag a starter quality rb???

Then all of a sudden Peterson, Lynch are both back in play. Assuming the teams that really needs a rb end up drafting a good one.

What would you all rather have? A solid rookie to add to Monty/Michael combo? 4 years of cheap salary... or a short term stud like all day, or beast mode to give us a solid rotation and depth. Maybe even gain a elite player? Giving us time to test Montgomery's durability

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm calling it now. Ty will not be able to handle the punishment of a RB for a full year. I think his expectations are pretty high and he will be kind of a disappointment this year.

Packers need to get a RB in the first 3 rounds if they don't want to find themselves trying to make another receiver into a RB

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when was the last time we had any RB handle the punishment for a full year? Lacy sure as hell couldn't do it, Starks? Ryan Grant? was a pretty decent workhorse for a couple seasons and made it thru 1 or 2 mostly healthy. Missed alot of some others though too. Green was the last great RB I can think of and I don't remember him missing a lot of games in his prime. I remember a significant injury, but he seemed to be available every week besides that.

But really these days, saying a RB isn't going to make it thru a season is like saying the sun is going to come up tomorrow. Even the best guys right now miss games every year, I think it's expected and if they don't you've been extremely fortunate.

Reaction score
Lacy and Franklin were found in the 2nd and 4th rounds of the 2013 draft so
I believe this draft may very well produce solid RB prospects through the 4th or 5th round. I think we need to be patient at the RB position here. Personally I would aim for a 3rd round to 5th round pick unless a guy slips rounds who is top 5 or so. IMO, We really shouldnt take our focus off the Defense in the early rounds due to it being an area of weakness. We didn't go after replacements for Peppers or Datone and the DB position clearly needs help or I'll soon be in need of an injection of nitroglycerin

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe mixon is said to be a top5/10 pick if judged on talent alone if he falls do you take him?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe mixon is said to be a top5/10 pick if judged on talent alone if he falls do you take him?

If the Patriots took Joe Mixon, would anyone question the pick? I'm sure some would, but that New England stability/structure seems to prevail consistently more often than not.

Part of me wants to see the Packers take Mixon, but part of me doesn't.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer mid round Draft picks to complement our RBs.

Should count Rip in the mix too for some 3rd and short runs.

Also it'd be a big time error to use Monty as a typical RB. His packages need to be a hybrid that takes better use of his pass catching abilities. Used in tandem with the TEs this would open up so many avenues for 12.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Patriots took Joe Mixon, would anyone question the pick? I'm sure some would, but that New England stability/structure seems to prevail consistently more often than not.

Part of me wants to see the Packers take Mixon, but part of me doesn't.
Do you have the stats on Belichick's drafting results? I'm guessing it's close to average (14-18) on his hit rate.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember where, and I think it's almost irrelevant, as to Belichick's hit rate (strictly because of the overwhelming subjectivity of 'hits'), but it wasn't that much better than most. As has been noted, ad nauseum, it's not so much that he's a draft wizard but that he uses all the tools available to assemble those teams.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm calling it now. Ty will not be able to handle the punishment of a RB for a full year. I think his expectations are pretty high and he will be kind of a disappointment this year.

Packers need to get a RB in the first 3 rounds if they don't want to find themselves trying to make another receiver into a RB
Yeah, he's not the kind of guy who can carry it 20 times when needed, and he already has an injury history, including playing last year while limping around on at least one occasion.

From the point where he started getting touches in the Dallas game, it was a total of 119 (75 rushes, 44 catches), or 10 per game. I can see it going a bit higher, but not much.

And if you're going to have running back by committee, you're going to need somebody other than Christine Michael.

I see a RB in the 3rd. - 4th. round. Maybe a surprise in the 2nd. if the options are getting thin.

D

Deleted member 6794

What would you all rather have? A solid rookie to add to Monty/Michael combo? 4 years of cheap salary... or a short term stud like all day, or beast mode to give us a solid rotation and depth. Maybe even gain a elite player? Giving us time to test Montgomery's durability

The Packers should add a draft pick at running back starting as early as the third round. I'm not in favor of bringing in Peterson or Charles at all.

when was the last time we had any RB handle the punishment for a full year? Lacy sure as hell couldn't do it, Starks?

Lacy missed only a single game during his first two seasons with the Packers.

There's an entire thread about Mixon in the draft section.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I don't think it's a good idea to use Montgomery like you would a normal RB. I think he's the kind of guy you want to get 8-15 touches a game depending on what the defense is allowing.

I see one of the 5th round picks being used on a RB.

Last edited:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to use Montgomery like you would a normal RB. I think he's the kind of guy you want to get 8-15 touches a game depending on what the defense is allowing.

I see one of the 5th round picks being used on a RB.

This team wanted a real RB for the longest time. Then finally had gotten Lacy and you noticed how much better and balanced that offense was. We cannot resort back to having to improvise because Ted cannot find a RB early in the draft. We need a real RB and Neither Ty or Michael are going to be the solution.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would someone like Latavious Murray or Denard Robinson be an option if Ted doesn't get spend a pick for a RB?
Murray went to MN...
I think that was a bad signing by them. Murray doesn't do it for me...

Robinson is solid imo. But doesn't excite me at all...

J Charles is too risky. He maybe came back too early, and could be back closer to normal now? But I'm not optimistic.

Peterson has the mojo we need. And. Plenty left to bring it.

Blount would be a good addition to get the hard yard... but expensive for a one trick pony. He did look good for new England last year though...

I'd like to see a premiere rb picked in round one or 2 if one slips. But if not, I want Peterson to come help Monty out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they don't find RB value at the draft, they can just sign Blount afterwards. That would be a savvy fall back option and he could take some of the heavy work off of Montgomery.

D

Deleted member 6794

This team wanted a real RB for the longest time. Then finally had gotten Lacy and you noticed how much better and balanced that offense was. We cannot resort back to having to improvise because Ted cannot find a RB early in the draft. We need a real RB and Neither Ty or Michael are going to be the solution.

I agree the Packers should add a running back in the draft but with it being an extremely deep draft class at the position there's no need to spend an early rounder on it though.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Packers should add a running back in the draft but with it being an extremely deep draft class at the position there's no need to spend an early rounder on it though.
I understand that. However the difference in talent from a 1st rounder to a 4th-5th rounder is very significant. If they have an opportunity to pick up a guy who can come in a be a difference maker right away. Then they shouldn't pass up on him just because they are being stubborn.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with you in the sense that a really good RB like Lacy can make a big difference and that is why I would prefer to take a chance earlier rather than later if the right guy is there. I kind of disagree with you on Monty. Though I am not sure he can be the main back I think he can be a very effective one. I know good guys can be found later but as you say below...

I understand that. However the difference in talent from a 1st rounder to a 4th-5th rounder is very significant. If they have an opportunity to pick up a guy who can come in a be a difference maker right away. Then they shouldn't pass up on him just because they are being stubborn.

The key part of your original post was if one drops or if the player matches the value at the position. I certainly don't want Ted reaching for a 2nd round talent in the first round or any other round just to get a RB high in the draft but if a player drops certainly grab him. That probably leaves out the first round because the only 3 possibilities would be Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey and I don't think any of them will drop to 29 (but if one did I'd be happy as hell if Ted took him, maybe less so with McCaffery but I'd still be OK with it) The second round is probably more likely where a talent will fall to he later part of the round and while I can't think of any names off the top of my head just from what I have been reading there are a few I wouldn't mind if they were taken here.

I've left out Mixon simply because of the off the field incident but to be honest if Ted were to take him in the first I would be OK with it and if he was there in the second (which I highly doubt) I'd be more than happy if Ted took him. If there is no one in the first two rounds then I would hope Ted addresses the situation later because I am not thrilled about any of the veteran FAs (other than maybe Blount) and I'm not super thrilled about the idea of the Monty and Michael show (I'm OK with the Monty part of it).

Obviously a superstar RB is not a cure all. All you have to do is look at Peterson in Minnesota or Sanders in Detroit to know a RB can't bring the ring all by himself but when you pair a star RB with a star QB it makes everything so much easier. In fact, with QB like Rodgers I'd much rather have a top 5 RB than a top 5 WR because we all know Rodgers can make a WR and the RB will only make that easier.

Keep in mind I'm an old school guy. I love the running game. I'd rather see a RB with 30 carries a game than a QB with 30 pass attempts (I'm speaking in general terms, obviously with a QB like Rodgers you want him throwing the ball) I think running plays are more exciting than passing plays for most of the yards gained and certainly anything over 10 yards. My first favorite players in the NFL were Czonka and Kick. I loved watching Oklahoma and Nebraska team up for a whopping 10 pass attempts and 500 yards rushing. My favorite non packer player of all time is Walter Payton My favorite current (although unemployed) non packer s Jamal Charles and my favorite Packer player to watch was Ahman Green. So with all that said I really want the Packers to get a true #1 RB. A guy like they had with Lacy until whatever it was that happened to him happened to him. I don't necessarily want them to become a run first team I just want a guy who opposing coaches have to account for every time he is in the game. A guy who can carry the team for a game or a half if he really has to. I know that's asking a lot and we all want that but I just think too many people are undervaluing what a really good RB can do for a team. Yes you can find RB talent late in the draft and high picks can bust but I just think your odds are better of finding "that guy" if you take a chance on a higher rated player instead of just poking and hoping on late on day three.

All that said Ted had better take a CB in the first round, no matter who it is, or I'll be so pissed :rolleyes:

Members online

Latest posts