The Scrum

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wondering what others thought about pushing and pulling running backs for a few more yards. I actually don't like it much as I see it as a Rugby thing. I think when the scrum thing starts to happen; the refs should call the ball dead. Really wondering how others see it as it is getting more and more common. Not sure when it changed because I think it used to be illegal.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mine it. At the end of the day if you tackle the guy no teammate can push when the guy with the ball is on the ground. What bothers me is when the defense tackles the runner but pushes him 3-5 yds forward in the process.

H

HardRightEdge

To be clear, the NFL rules state that "no offensive player may pull a runner in any direction at any time." That's good for a 10 yard penalty.

There is no prohibition in the NFL against a teammate pushing a runner. I don't remember a time when this wasn't legal. I don't have any paricular issue with it. Consider it a bit of ancient football DNA. ;)

"Assisting the Runner" is addressed at 12.1.4 in the NFL rule book on page 45 where illegal pulling is referenced:

https://operations.nfl.com/media/3831/2019-playing-rules.pdf

There are circumstances where it is illegal to push a teammate, also referenced on that page 45.

I have no idea what the rules might be in college or high school.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't remember a time when this wasn't legal.
Illegal during the Ice Bowl era. Taylor(?) looks like he is signalling TD on Starr's sneak when he said he was just putting his hands up to show the refs he wasn't pushing since it was a penalty. I do not know where I read or heard that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Illegal during the Ice Bowl era. Taylor(?) looks like he is signalling TD on Starr's sneak when he said he was just putting his hands up to show the refs he wasn't pushing since it was a penalty. I do not know where I read or heard that.
Was an interview as I heard sane explanation

Reaction score
To be clear, the NFL rules state that "no offensive player may pull a runner in any direction at any time." That's good for a 10 yard penalty.
I wonder why they didn’t penalize the Panthers OL for trying to pull McCaffrey across the goal line on their final play last week?

D

Deleted member 6794

Wondering what others thought about pushing and pulling running backs for a few more yards. I actually don't like it much as I see it as a Rugby thing. I think when the scrum thing starts to happen; the refs should call the ball dead. Really wondering how others see it as it is getting more and more common. Not sure when it changed because I think it used to be illegal.

I would like the refs to blow the whistle faster sometimes when forward progress is stopped but overall the rule is fine.

H

HardRightEdge

Taylor can be found saying this in the following video at at 56:20:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

edit #1: Oops, that's Mercein as gopkrs pointed out.

The oldest rule book I can find is from 2011, which includes a couple of interesting things.

1) That rule book includes an example which explicitly states that a runner can be pushed by a teammate:

"Second and goal on B2. Runner A1 gets to the line of scrimmage and is stopped but A2, who is behind him, pushes him from behind and shoves him over the goal line. Ruling: Touchdown."

We're in at least year 9 where this runner assistance has been legal, maybe longer.

2) Strangely, the 2011 wording is, " No offensive player may lift a runner to his feet or pull him in any direction at any time."

That bold passage is no longer in the rule book, dropped somewhere along line.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprised nobody said anything...It was Chuck Mercein. On the final play of The Ice Bowl.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder why they didn’t penalize the Panthers OL for trying to pull McCaffrey across the goal line on their final play last week?
They should have thrown a flag. You cannot assume the officials know (or care?) about all of the rules. Had McCaffrey scored and the Panthers ended up winning the game it would have been a controversy.

Those former NFL office rules "experts" they have on the broadcasts these days flub the rules with some regularity. One of these guys keeps saying, "he's got possession and took two steps, so it's a catch." You'd think with all the controvery surrounding the catch rules he'd have the current rules memorized. Nope. It's control with two feet down and one additional step among a few possible criteria. The rule now (finally and sanely) reads:

"A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

1. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
  2. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
  3. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so."
You'll also hear these experts still referring to "a football move" being the criteria. Who knows what a football move is supposed to be, but even if all the specifics above are regarded as such he doesn't have to to do that if he has possession long enough to do so.

There was another play I saw recently where the "expert" declared that a play where a receiver stepped out of bounds before getting both feet down inbounds for a catch should be ruled incomplete in that a receiver cannot reestablish himself in the field of play. The color commentator corrected him; a receiver can reestablish himself inbounds if forced out by a defender.

The play was reviewed, and New York made the right rule interpretation. Good thing that "expert" was not the New York official. Whether the contact was sufficient to make that call is debateable.

Who knows how many rule flubs we'd find if we scrutinized every play of every game.

H

HardRightEdge

Surprised nobody said anything...It was Chuck Mercein. On the final play of The Ice Bowl.
You know what's worse, gopkrs? None of us seemed to recall that Taylor wasn't even on the 1967 team. He was gone to New Orleans for his final season. It was over 50 years ago so we have that going for us...or not. :confused:

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what's worse, gopkrs? None of us seemed to recall that Taylor wasn't even on the 1967 team. He was gone to New Orleans for his final season. It was over 50 years ago so we have that going for us...or not. :confused:
Well, the final important play. We had to kick off. And Dandy Don had to throw 2 passes.
Yeah, neither was Paul Hornung. I think Grabowski played but Donnie Anderson and Chuck Mercein were down the stretch.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think the "pushing" is the result of defenders trying to straighten an RB up so they can rip and tear at the ball. There was a time when plays were blown dead earlier..when the back's forward progress appeared to have stop. I don't mind the OL pushing from behind, knowing the defense is trying to stand him up to strip the ball.

I've seen 3 blatant instances o OLinemen trying to PULL backs in, including Carolina and I don't much like that crap. Not sure why.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong but in college football during the national champ when Reggie Bush was against Vince Young, I think USC got penalized when an O lineman pushed Bush across the goal line.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the "pushing" is the result of defenders trying to straighten an RB up so they can rip and tear at the ball. There was a time when plays were blown dead earlier..when the back's forward progress appeared to have stop. I don't mind the OL pushing from behind, knowing the defense is trying to stand him up to strip the ball.

I've seen 3 blatant instances o OLinemen trying to PULL backs in, including Carolina and I don't much like that crap. Not sure why.
That is a good point about the tacklers trying to stand the runner up so as to strip the ball. So I will agree with Wimm and say that the officials should start blowing the play dead sooner. (kind of a slippery slope) Those things i.e., pushing the runner, pulling the runner and standing the runner up to strip the ball are all kind of rugby things. I don't think they should be a big part of the game, which they have become. Perhaps not allow it to be a fumble when a player is obviously stood up and not let down.

H

HardRightEdge

That is a good point about the tacklers trying to stand the runner up so as to strip the ball. So I will agree with Wimm and say that the officials should start blowing the play dead sooner.
Why? If a defender is trying to strip the ball instead of wrapping up that would be the reason to not blow the play dead.

It does seem blowing plays dead is less frequent than it used to be but when it is I find it too quick as often as not. As far as I'm concered, if the runner is not wrapped and pushed backward let the players play. If the runner is still churning at a standstill the winner is not resolved; let second effort decide the matter.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? If a defender is trying to strip the ball instead of wrapping up that would be the reason to not blow the play dead.

It does seem blowing plays dead is less frequent than it used to be but when it is I find it too quick as often as not. As far as I'm concered, if the runner is not wrapped and pushed backward let the players play. If the runner is still churning at a standstill the winner is not resolved; let second effort decide the matter.
I think that when 3 or 4 players are not allowing a player to go to the ground, the play should be stopped. The odds are very slim the runner will go anywhere. I just think that is a cheap way to get a turnover. But it is a judgement call as to when to blow the whistle.

H

HardRightEdge

I think that when 3 or 4 players are not allowing a player to go to the ground, the play should be stopped. The odds are very slim the runner will go anywhere. I just think that is a cheap way to get a turnover. But it is a judgement call as to when to blow the whistle.
Oh, I fully expect that play to be blown dead. How often does that happen anyway without it blown dead? I can't picture that.

One guy holding him up and another guy going for the ball? Then the defense takes the chance they will give up fall-forward yards (with a push from his teamates ;), a scenario that might explain why pushing the runner is legal) or the runner will get away. That's the risk they take.

Members online

Latest posts