The Packers IR player to return is....

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I say this some people in here get bent out of shape! But Clearly don't know football either which is the sad part. Cromartie is an EXPERIENCED corner..but they swear it's just because he's a "name" corner. But look where these "no name" corners have gotten us tho lol. The last "name" corner TT signed was Charles Woodson. How'd he turn out?
Cromartie can out play every DB we have on the roster besides shields. Tho I think he is smarter then shields on route recognizing , qb drops and he's more physical. Well it's a lot posters here that was saying no don't go for Marshawn lynch when the packers had a chance and look what he did for Seattle. I'm not saying cromartie is a Marshawn but cromartie is better then the DBs we have right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's been quoted saying " I don't think there's a wr in the NFL who can run away from me." Lol good enough for me haha !! At least he will be close enough to make the tackle if he gives up a reception 40 yds downfield! Can't say that about another corner who will be playing Monday Night for the Green Bay Packers.

Dorleant is as fast as Hawkins and last time I saw the latter cover an NFL receiver Marvin Jones turned the play into a 75 yard touchdown reception. Unfortunately speed doesn't help if you don't have the talent to play at the pro level.

Ted could easily fix everything according to you and then you come back with trading for a washed up Tramon or picking up Browner thinking it fixes anything LOL.

I don't thin Dorleant is fixing anything. At this point there isn't anybody available that is fixing anything. Might as well see if he can play going forward over a guy who clearly can not any more. But I guess you'd at least recognize the name

Come on, even if some of the cornerbacks mentioned have regressed compared to their prime there's no doubt in my mind all of them would be an upgrade over Dorleant.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorleant is as fast as Hawkins and last time I saw the latter cover an NFL receiver Marvin Jones turned the play into a 75 yard touchdown reception. Unfortunately speed doesn't help if you don't have the talent to play at the pro level.

Come on, even if some of the cornerbacks mentioned have regressed compared to their prime there's no doubt in my mind all of them would be an upgrade over Dorleant.
i have no doubt, there is no doubt. My point. Those guys are DUN. Browner was the worst DB in the league 2 years ago. The worst and was cut and tried to make it at safety with his original team and didn't even make it thru the 1st round of cuts. I'm guessing he doesn't have the same nutrition program as when with the Seahawks. There's a reason not a single team has them on their roster in a pass happy league despite being a big FA name just a couple years ago.

Williams "might" offer a tad more than Dorleant, I have no idea what Dorleant brings. I barely remember the guy. What I do know, Williams is pretty much done. While he might offer a little more, he's not going to bring enough to make a difference if any in this defense. I'd rather find out over the next 6 weeks that Dorleant really can't play and send him on his way next year, than give a pick and some money to a washed up vet that isn't fixing anything this year and you know he won't be around to help us any more than these next few games if that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We all know Teddy likes a good bargain. How can he resist not being able to use his "free return of an IR Player" coupon? Shields, Lacy and Crockett were his only other 3 options and I am guessing none of them are ready. So instead of stuffing this valuable coupon in a dusty night stand drawer.....TT cashed it in.

The "Good news", all he used was a coupon, he can always cut Dorleant and sign someone else, after all, its not like we needed a CB now, that need was over a month ago.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cromartie could outplay every DB on our roster 5 years ago. Today? he's where he belongs, on his couch and he'll only get worse from here. Old used up DB's don't get better with age and time away from football doesn't increase their ability much either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
cromartie could outplay every DB on our roster 5 years ago. Today? he's where he belongs, on his couch and he'll only get worse from here. Old used up DB's don't get better with age and time away from football doesn't increase their ability much either.

While I understand what you are trying to say, I'm having a hard time seeing how you are placing so much faith that Dorleant is better then every other unemployed or PS player available to the Packers. Dorleant hasn't played a single snap in a real NFL game, hasn't practiced or played football since the few times he saw action while fighting an injury in the Packers preseason.

To me, this either signals that TT is throwing in the towel on the season and is wanting to get some experience for a young guy, or once again TT is way more confident in his D & D approach then some of us currently are. If it's the first case scenario, then I expect to see more of Hundley and a few other young guys.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I"m not placing any faith in Dorleant. I said I don't think he's the answer. I have no idea, I don't even remember the guy other than some vague recollection of his name since it was mentioned again. The only thing i'm hoping is the guys we have quit making so many mistakes and look a bit better as we go forward. But maybe he is good, maybe he takes right off, you, I, and the rest have no idea. What I do know is Cromartie is DUN, Williams is DUN, Browner is DUN. None of those guys is going to offer much over what we have and you know what they offer going forward? nothing.

So we put these young guys in position and if they get it, they get it, if they don't, the staff knows they need replacing and their initial evaluations were wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So we put these young guys in position and if they get it, they get it, if they don't, the staff knows they need replacing and their initial evaluations were wrong.

That is the part I am starting to second guess TT on. Like I said, if the next 6 games are being viewed as tryouts for next year, which given the Packers record and play of late could make sense, then I hope Dorleant sees lots of action and is as good as TT thinks he could be. I did see that he had originally made the final 53 and then placed on IR, so at least this isn't a guy that was cut amongst 75 or so players, but someone the Packers knew was worth keeping around.

Reaction score
Our playoff hopes are slim to none, but we need to put together a Win badly.
This guy Dorlesnt isn't going to do anything immediately but we need to start thinking about what guys can contribute enough to achieve 1 less TD per game on Defense. As bad as we've played in the secondary we're not a team that gives up and it's very possible we'll see a Defense in the next 2 weeks that does NOT give up 35 points.
The silver lining is that we have a decent RB and TE back in the mix on Offense and regardless of all the Rodgers negative sentiment around the media, it's a fact that Aaron is one of the most productive QBs in the NFL since week 7
I doubt we get held under 28 point
Packers 31 Eagles 30

H

HardRightEdge

We all know Teddy likes a good bargain. How can he resist not being able to use his "free return of an IR Player" coupon? Shields, Lacy and Crockett were his only other 3 options and I am guessing none of them are ready. So instead of stuffing this valuable coupon in a dusty night stand drawer.....TT cashed it in.

The "Good news", all he used was a coupon, he can always cut Dorleant and sign someone else, after all, its not like we needed a CB now, that need was over a month ago.
I would say having to put your free safety at slot corner in the previous game indicates an acute need.

It's ironic that he did...I had just previously posted a prospective reshuffling of the backfield with Dix in that spot. However, I anticipated that only after a camp's worth of pactice with some new pieces added. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would say having to put your free safety at slot corner in the previous game indicates an acute need.

It's ironic that he did...I had just previously posted a prospective reshuffling of the backfield with Dix in that spot. However, I anticipated that only after a camp's worth of pactice with some new pieces added. ;)

I would go one step further and say that having your #1, #2 and #3 CB's out early in the year creates an acute need of finding guys other then inexperienced UDFA's to step into those roles.

H

HardRightEdge

I would go one step further and say that having your #1, #2 and #3 CB's out early in the year creates an acute need of finding guys other then inexperienced UDFA's to step into those roles.
Well, if you're going to draft and develop, the develop comes by putting guys on the field in money games with mostly blind expectation. ;)

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cromartie can out play every DB we have on the roster besides shields
That sure ain't sayin' much. Our secondary is easily the worst I have seen in Green Bay ever and that includes the 70's and 80's. TT gets a big fail for the garbage he gave us to watch.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not neccesarily that I think this guy doesn't deserve a shot on the roster because why the hell not.....its that TED **** canned Lacy's and maybe Shields ( i dont he takes another snap in the league) season in order to add him. Cut Janis if you want a roster spot and add that whiteside guy again or try Herb Waters. His special teams play has been awful this year and that is the only reason he is on the team.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, if you're going to draft and develop, the develop comes by putting guys on the field in money games with mostly blind expectation. ;)

Sadly, this has become a requirement and not an option. ;) I remember the days when the Packers would have somewhat of a comfortable lead and MM could slip one or 2 guys into a game to get some experience with the starters. Now not only do we not have leads to do that, even if we have a 3+ score lead with more then 2 minutes remaining, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather find out over the next 6 weeks that Dorleant really can't play and send him on his way next year, than give a pick and some money to a washed up vet that isn't fixing anything this year and you know he won't be around to help us any more than these next few games if that.

I agree that I don't want the Packers to give up a draft pick for a veteran cornerback but they should have signed one weeks ago.

To me, this either signals that TT is throwing in the towel on the season and is wanting to get some experience for a young guy, or once again TT is way more confident in his D & D approach then some of us currently are. If it's the first case scenario, then I expect to see more of Hundley and a few other young guys.

There's no way the Packers have given up on the season.

Need to get rid of Shields, unfortunately he is done. TT made a big mistake counting on this guy with so many concussions.

It was the right decision to re-sign Shields after the 2013 season.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree that I don't want the Packers to give up a draft pick for a veteran cornerback but they should have signed one weeks ago.

There's no way the Packers have given up on the season.

It was the right decision to re-sign Shields after the 2013 season.

I think that's right. But what's need is a corner with some speed who can hang in man coverage. Those guys are not exactly hanging off trees. Lack of speed on the perimeter has forced the safeties to 2-high on the perimeter in zone, opening up the middle of the field. Then, when they try to blitz with man coverage (which has been sharply dialed back) and don't get home, the perimeter corners are vulnerable. To adjust to that Gunter has been playing a lot of off coverage against his strength as a press guy which has been counter productive.

It's a big whack-a-mole mess. Every adjustment exposes a different, predictable and readable weakness.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that's right. But what's need is a corner with some speed who can hang in man coverage. Those guys are not exactly hanging off trees.

I agree that it's impossible to find a cornerback capable of performing at Shields level on the street during the season but an upgrade over the current situation would have been possible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree that it's impossible to find a cornerback capable of performing at Shields level on the street during the season but an upgrade over the current situation would have been possible.

On the street or in the Packers locker room as we have seen.

I'm not going to recite the whole timing of CB's going down, but the Packers once again underestimated the severity of injuries by thinking they would have Shields or Randall back while they still were legitimately in the playoff race. They also overestimated the talent of every CB still on their roster at the time. The final few minutes of the first half of the Lions game, as well as almost everything beyond that should have been enough information for TT to realize the Packer secondary was in trouble. Even if the thought was that Gunter, Hawkins and Goodson could play better then they have, where is your depth beyond them?

There were trade options out there for TT to try and fix this before Nov.1st, he just once again had way too much confidence in "his guys".

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the street or in the Packers locker room as we have seen.

I'm not going to recite the whole timing of CB's going down, but the Packers once again underestimated the severity of injuries by thinking they would have Shields or Randall back while they still were legitimately in the playoff race. They also overestimated the talent of every CB still on their roster at the time. The final few minutes of the first half of the Lions game, as well as almost everything beyond that should have been enough information for TT to realize the Packer secondary was in trouble. Even if the thought was that Gunter, Hawkins and Goodson could play better then they have, where is your depth beyond them?

There were trade options out there for TT to try and fix this before Nov.1st, he just once again had way too much confidence in "his guys".
Unfortunately, I think Thomson's strength is also his weakness. He is always looking to the future. Unfortunately, sometimes he needs to asess the right now. Trading for a decent CB while necessary, would have required Ted to give up something. That would upset his carefully laid out plan for next year. In the past, I have been happy that Ted has kept the Packers solvent regarding the salary cap, however he has failed to take those few risks that are sometimes necessary to take the next step toward winning now.

All of that being said, I have to point out that the difference between a very good team, and a very bad team in the NFL is quite small. While I think Thompson should have done a better job with both predicting the potential problems with the secondary and reacting when those problems manifested themselves, I also think that things could have easily gone the other way. If Shields and Randall had remained healthy, I think it is entirely possible that the Packers record might be much better. They would not really be that much better of a team, but I don't think they would neeed to be to have won a few more of their games. The offense has been scoring points, just a few more defensive stops at the right time might have changed a few games.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts