The Packers in the 2nd Round.....

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If, in fact, the best player available philosophy is applied here I don't see an offensive lineman in the draft by #36 being that guy.

While this is a deep draft the guard position is one weak spot in it.

Yes, we need some guards. But trying to put a square peg in a round hole is not the way to go about getting where we want to go.

We start focusing on need and we end up passing on guys that become good, quality core type players, and our guy is so-so then we have made a mistake.

Going with the best available will begin the process of reestablishing the depth we so desperately need on this team.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
If, in fact, the best player available philosophy is applied here I don't see an offensive lineman in the draft by #36 being that guy.

While this is a deep draft the guard position is one weak spot in it.

Yes, we need some guards. But trying to put a square peg in a round hole is not the way to go about getting where we want to go.

We start focusing on need and we end up passing on guys that become good, quality core type players, and our guy is so-so then we have made a mistake.

Going with the best available will begin the process of reestablishing the depth we so desperately need on this team.

Guard isn't typically a position that goes in the first round, I can't think of too many who did...Lary Allen was in the first round but entered as a tackle, Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle were I think 5th and 6th rounders respectively...Guards are usually huge mounds of earth that have to be molded into guards (Whitticker)...Logan Mankins was in the first round last year, an exception, in what was a verry screwed up draft

Drafting Jean-Gilles or Davin Joseph would be like trying to fit a fat, square peg into a round hole...very good point

My hunches tell me that one of the good Ohio State defenders will be available in the 2nd round--either Bobby Carpenter, Ashton Youboty or Donte Whitner, and they will be close to B.P.A. at that point

Sinorice Moss might be available, but I don't see us drafting a vertical, small wide reciever in an offense that demands size and hands for our short pass offense

You have to look at every pick as drafting for need at some point--being from where I'm from I hear a lot about what the Eagles do...they do the system of drafting for needs in two years...Jerome McDougle was ready to step in after Derrick Burgess left after '04...Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard were ready to step in after Vincent and Bobby Taylor left in '02 or '03...every pick will mean something at some point...drafting for need is good but don't do so at the expense of drafting someone who you could get about 15 slots down...

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need help on the line no matter what anyone says we need it. we could draft for a talent but how would they even get the ball to that guy if our line is how it was last year, that's why favre sucked and all our running backs got injured, if we have a good line we can make it to the playoffs it's that simple. give favre time and he'll get it done.