The New Rules Are Making It Too Easy

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What do you guys think when looking at stats for quarterbacks this week?

Cam Newton - 400 yards
Drew Brees - 400 yards
Tom Brady - 500 yards
Chad Henne - 400 yards

The NFL sets up these new ******** rules to limit the defense every few years and look at what is happening.

In the Giants/Redskins game, there were several flags thrown on "touching a defenseless player" just because someone touched a WR before he could get off the ground and run. That helped Rex Grossman to a 300 yard passing game.

Most "Old schoolers" probably remember in the late 80s through early 90's how many quarterbacks put up that good of numbers in a week. Let's see...You had Joe Montana who could easily average 250-300 yards with his west coast offense set up. Warren Moon led the league in passing one year as he was averaging 250-300 yards per game (including a couple 400, and even a 500 yard game) but the Run-N-Shoot Oilers was nothing but a pass game. Dan Marino every now and then could throw that much, and in 1987 Bernie Kosar was in the 200 yards per game club, even with a 400 yard game (that he had zero touchdowns in) Ohhh I forgot one, Jim Kelly and the No huddle "K-Gun" Buffalo Bills were able to throw 200-300 passing yards, when their running game was shut down.

I know some people won't agree with me, and that's cool but I think the NFL is getting overboard with new rules that favor the offense. The stats this week for quarterbacks look ridiculous. If this was 1991 there is NO WAY IN HELL all these quarterbacks would have thrown for 400 yards.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You bring up an interesting thought for me.
How can the new records count if it's made easier or the rules change?
Seems to me that the old records should stand.

It's like a home run hitter taking performance enhancing drugs and beating all the home run records of the hitter who was not juiced.

It isn't fair for the old players when the new players have better advantages and it shouldn't count.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
You bring up an interesting thought for me.
How can the new records count if it's made easier or the rules change?
Seems to me that the old records should stand.

It's like a home run hitter taking performance enhancing drugs and beating all the home run records of the hitter who was not juiced.

It isn't fair for the old players when the new players have better advantages and it shouldn't count.

Exactly.

Cam Newton set a record, should I really care?

In 1984 Dan Marino set the record of a 5,000 yard passing season. Since then, the only quarterback to come close to that record was Brees. Manning and Brady both have come close but not enough.

I think it was a bigger accomplishment back then than it is today.

People forget that back in the day defenses were much more brutal. Quarterbacks are treated way better today than they were when Young was getting concussion after concussion, and Warren Moon was getting his brains knocked out. A good example of this is to watch how the Buffalo Bills used to play from 1990-1993. Their pass rush would have flags all over the field today.

I like to believe in my own opinion the greatest quarterback of all time was Joe Montana, and taking a look at his career, he did not benefit from the tuck rule, or any of the newer rules today and the man got 4 rings. Actually if the Tuck Rule was around back in 1991, the 49ers would have played Buffalo in the Super Bowl cause before the Giants knocked Joe Cool out the game (which today would have had roughing the passer flags everywhere) there was a turnover that would have been called an incomplete pass thanks to the rules today, and that turnover led to points.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And 3 of those 4 QB did that and lost. What does that tell you? Yes it's a QB driven league. But think of this, think the Saints are a playoff team without Bree's, Pats without Brady, Colts without Manning? While having "That" QB for you is wonderful, if he is injured any length of time very few teams have a back up that can maintain that level of play for more than one game. Anyone picking the Colts to go to the Super Bowl this year?

I think they have gone to far in making it a passing friendly game.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I agree. I also think there should be an asterik next to Babe Ruth's records. Getting to set records before black people were allowed to play?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I also think there should be an asterik next to Babe Ruth's records. Getting to set records before black people were allowed to play?
Good point.

I thought I briefly heard one time that there was a ***** Leauge player who did hit more HRs then Babe Ruth, but he of course is ignored.

Krymestone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think you can get too caught up in semantics when it comes to that; but one reason why QB's didn't throw for that much yardage was because you had a more running back-centric league. you don't really have franchise running backs anymore. you have running back by committee in a lot of cases; and after a year or two, a lot of running backs are worn out.

if you want to really dissect the rules now, go back and look and see how many defensive pressures/sacks there were back then as well to see if this rule has affected the game that much. i agree that QB's are treated like prima donnas nowadays, and honestly there may be more QB's entering their 40's in the future that could still play the game because they're so protected.

as far as bringing up those numbers; first of all, let's not get carried away by one game. at the end of the year if you have guys like chad henne and cam newton throwing for 4k yards, THEN you could make the argument. brady and brees are known for throwing 350+ yard games.

and if jason effin' campbell ever cracks the 400 yard mark...change the damn rule! ;)

dimension

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely Agree. All these high scoring games will eventually make it more boring. Touchdowns won't be exciting because they will happen all the time. It will be like watching basketball with teams scoring all the time. If the NFL continues down this route in the long run it will bite them IMO

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The things I have noticed about this years game is there seems to be an inordinate amount of poor tackles and coverage breaking down. Is this a result of lack of training camps? I think there is a correlation there.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well I think the answer about the Colts without Manning was answered.
Look at the players the Packers lost last year to IR. Grant, D Backs, you name it. Do you think for one moment that had they lost Rodgers they would have won the Super Bowl with Flynn? Not that Flynn isn't good, they would have won some games but all the way, not likely. To much emphasis is being put on the passing game. Before long we will be seeing teams without RB's. Why do you need them, let's just go with the playground rules, everyone go long.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I reeealllly don't like this "defenseless player" garbage. If a guy is up in the air reaching for a pass you should be able to knock the bejesus out of him. Granted leading with a helmet or contact to the other players helemet should still be illegal. But any contact at all????? I don't think you can really put the blame on anyone specific party for it either. The players push for players safety and this has to be the league response.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think that this much passing yards, and all the big returns, were consequences of that "no 2 a days" practices.

Defenses missed too many easy tackles, because they haven't been practicing it since last year.

I believe the numbers will decline come week 5 or 6.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Speaking of rule changes....anyone notice the number of penalties being called on returned kickoffs? Almost seems as though the NFL doesn't WANT kicks into the endzone run out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agree with RS. Its been only a week. yeah its abnormal but through the history of the league the scoring average by teams has stayed pretty much the same. I doubt that will change much.

Rodgers_Forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think when looking at stats for quarterbacks this week?

Cam Newton - 400 yards
Drew Brees - 400 yards
Tom Brady - 500 yards
Chad Henne - 400 yards

The NFL sets up these new ******** rules to limit the defense every few years and look at what is happening.

In the Giants/Redskins game, there were several flags thrown on "touching a defenseless player" just because someone touched a WR before he could get off the ground and run. That helped Rex Grossman to a 300 yard passing game.

Most "Old schoolers" probably remember in the late 80s through early 90's how many quarterbacks put up that good of numbers in a week. Let's see...You had Joe Montana who could easily average 250-300 yards with his west coast offense set up. Warren Moon led the league in passing one year as he was averaging 250-300 yards per game (including a couple 400, and even a 500 yard game) but the Run-N-Shoot Oilers was nothing but a pass game. Dan Marino every now and then could throw that much, and in 1987 Bernie Kosar was in the 200 yards per game club, even with a 400 yard game (that he had zero touchdowns in) Ohhh I forgot one, Jim Kelly and the No huddle "K-Gun" Buffalo Bills were able to throw 200-300 passing yards, when their running game was shut down.

I know some people won't agree with me, and that's cool but I think the NFL is getting overboard with new rules that favor the offense. The stats this week for quarterbacks look ridiculous. If this was 1991 there is NO WAY IN HELL all these quarterbacks would have thrown for 400 yards.

Well, of the four quarterbacks you mentioned, all can attribute their stats to game flow. I'll break down my opinion for you by each player:

Cam Newton:
So you're Arizona's D-Coordinator, are you going to gameplan to stop Cam Newton and the Panthers abysmal (based off past experience) passing game, or are you going to try to stop two of the better backs in the league in Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams? Arizona tried to stop the run all day and got burned by a great receiver in Steve Smith, and Newton had a good game. If Newton passes for over 300 against us now that we have game tape on him, I'll drive from Milwaukee to wherever you may be and buy you a beer good sir.

Drew Brees:
1. He's Drew Brees
2. He racked up all his yards playing catchup...you've gotta make up a 21-7 first quarter deficit somehow.
3. He's Drew Brees

Tom Brady:
Well, brady had 10 seconds to throw on a few plays, and to be honest with you, Ryan Leaf could dissect a secondary with that much time. Brady is the best in the business, had spectacular o-line play, and one freak 99 TD catch by Wes Welker to pad his stats. He's never thrown for over 430 yards before and most likely won't again...500 yards was a fluke.

Chad Henne:
Reggie Bush can't run the ball, so when you eliminate the running game entirely, Henne's passing attempts will go up. They were down by a lot and had to play catch up while New England was playing bend but don't break D.

Do you honestly think a defensive lineman is going to be hesitant to hit a QB or play his game any differently, because I for one don't?

The NFL has just become a passing league...everything is more about strategy, game plan, and precision from your quarterback. There is more finesse and more talent than there ever was, and i think the game has become a lot more interesting because of it.

Who the hell wants to watch 60 minutes of ground and pound football where the QB hands it off and the RB runs for 3 yards every play, followed by endless punts back and forth? The name of the game is to score points, and passing does it more quickly, and more efficiently.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts