The New Look Badgers - 2023

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess its the offseason for the Packers and Badgers, so time to start looking ahead to the 2022 Season for both teams.

This would be an absolute get for the Badgers and the fact that Caleb Williams is even considering the Badgers, make me believe that he is being told by the Badger coaching staff that Mertz is no longer the golden boy they thought he was.

The other exciting Badger Football news. Joe Rudolph is moving on from the Badgers in what I perceive as the same job that he had at Wisconsin, at a much lessor school.... OL coach at Virginia Tech. After failing in his one year stint as the OC for the Badgers in 2020, he was put in charge of the OL last season. Worst season in many years for the OL. Nice guy, but he seems to have gotten worse as a coach. It also opened the doors up for the Badgers to have decided that they finally need to hire an Offensive Coordinator! Amen! No more Paul Chryst or Joe Rudolph run offenses!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No surprise but Chryst has been given a 5 year extension

No surprise at all, he is a very good head coach and knows how to recruit. I don't think he is a good play caller and I think he recognized that a few years ago and handed the duties off to Joe Rudolph and when Rudolph sucked, took them back and probably kicked himself for doing that.

Now I wonder how that will effect Jim Leonhard and just how long he stays at DC.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bucky takes the field tomorrow night! Backup QB Chase Wolf appears to be out for the season with a knee injury suffered in practice. So it will be up to Graham Mertz to stay healthy and hopefully improve. Once again the Badgers will have a strong run game with Braelon Allen and Chez Melusi. Also, Chryst handed the play calling over to a new OC Bobby Engram. The receiving core is a total question mark with the loss of TE Jake Ferguson, as well as Danny Davis and Kendrick Pryor. Defense should be strong again.

For all those "Badger Haters"....suck on this.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this one, even if it's against a weaker team. I want to see the Badgers defense, which has been rebuilt. We're going to find if Jim Leonhard can walk on water, even during the fall, before the lakes are frozen over.

I'm anxious to see if Graham Mertz has reached a point where he needs to put up numbers, to earn his keep. That said, we sure have a stable of RBs. Allen, Mellusi, and Guerendo, who is a freaking speed merchant.

Brats, potato salad, and a couple of Miller's Genuine Drafts to go with it.

Above all, they sure as heck better not lose this one! They need to bury them!!!

Saturday, 6 PM, FS1. I'm ready!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next week will be a better test. Washington State is a decent team, with experience. I liked the way they showed progress on both offense and defense as the game went on. They were tentative when it started, with so many newbies in the starting lineup.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I got the game on FS1 ... after the game before ran into overtime - I think it was The Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother versus Harry and Bubz Barber college but can't be sure. :whistling: Anyway, the kicker for Wyoming had an opportunity to win in regulation and his field goal attempt hit the very point of the upright and bounced up and out -- no good, thus multiple overtimes. I've never seen that happen before.

No surprise, but "0", Allen, looked a whole lot more mature in this game. Was more patient waiting for the creases in his blocking to develop. Allen is from Fond du Lac (the birthplace of Colin Kaepernick :sneaky: - just tossing that in there to be an irritant) where I spend the better part of my daylight hours .. and I have to say that this is one great kid. I'm hoping that fame doesn't get the better part of him.

Was I imaging things or does Mertz seem to have developed a little more arm strength this season? Now, I recognize that Illinois State probably isn't going to have the quality of DB of say, Ohio State ... but he was looking like he was delivering the ball with more velocity than I remember.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the game on FS1 ... after the game before ran into overtime - I think it was The Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother versus Harry and Bubz Barber college but can't be sure. :whistling: Anyway, the kicker for Wyoming had an opportunity to win in regulation and his field goal attempt hit the very point of the upright and bounced up and out -- no good, thus multiple overtimes. I've never seen that happen before.

No surprise, but "0", Allen, looked a whole lot more mature in this game. Was more patient waiting for the creases in his blocking to develop. Allen is from Fond du Lac (the birthplace of Colin Kaepernick :sneaky: - just tossing that in there to be an irritant) where I spend the better part of my daylight hours .. and I have to say that this is one great kid. I'm hoping that fame doesn't get the better part of him.

Was I imaging things or does Mertz seem to have developed a little more arm strength this season? Now, I recognize that Illinois State probably isn't going to have the quality of DB of say, Ohio State ... but he was looking like he was delivering the ball with more velocity than I remember.
Thought Kapernick was from New London? Wife grew up there
Mertz did look better..passes were where they had to be

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mertz has looked "good" before. He needs to sustain and not crumble when the opponents get better and put on some pressure.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How about that ... Badgers win 38-0 and drop to 19th in the rating. THAT'S the definition of a tough audience.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's early. They sputtered on both offense and defense in the beginning, because of new bodies on the field. They recovered well, but still need to play stiffer competition. Playing ***** this coming Saturday will show us a lot more of what they actually might have. I've got my fingers crossed.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It's early. They sputtered on both offense and defense in the beginning, because of new bodies on the field. They recovered well, but still need to play stiffer competition. Playing ***** this coming Saturday will show us a lot more of what they actually might have. I've got my fingers crossed.
What could have possibly been censored from "Washington State"? :sneaky:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What could have possibly been censored from "Washington State"? :sneaky:
wa - zoo

Been using that reference for years. I guess it's anything that could even possibly be misconstrued as something is automatically eliminated.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
wa - zoo

Been using that reference for years. I guess it's anything that could even possibly be misconstrued as something is automatically eliminated.
So we can't say "they took it right up the old wazoo"?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
So we can't say "they took it right up the old wazoo"?
Interesting word. I took an anatomy class as a younger man - well, never mind ... it was actually comparative anatomy in the front seat of an Olds Cutlass Supreme Broughm - anyway, wa-zoo was never covered in that class. :tdown: Least ways, I don't think it was.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are killing me! Actually, Washington State's nickname used to be Wazzu. I'm old school!

Then there's the old fan wear. It's a "pump coat," with an "i" replacing the "u." They'd cheer; "U-rah-rah, sis-boom-bah!" Wazzu was well known then. :)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't pay a whole lot of attention, but I noticed that Ohio State, after beat #5 Notre Dame by two scores, dropped a spot. Michigan, after whipping up on powerhouse Colorado State, climbed up four.

Members online

Latest posts