The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers starting MAY have resulted in a win, but the O-line and Special Teams were suspect all game. The same was true in week 1 with Rodgers and the team lost that game. However, the defense against the Chiefs was much improved over week 1 and Love should have found a way to win

It all boils down to "that's a result to expect from a first-time starter", put simply. Team effort but Love (and every QB) has to show that they can make the big plays to overcome adversity. He didn't accomplish that and neither did Rodgers week 1. Learning experience and on to the next game
I doubt the Chiefs would have approached the game defensively the same way with Rodgers starting. He would have eaten those blitzes for for dinner (not to be confused with blintzes) thus taking the pressure of the O-line somewhat.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt the Chiefs would have approached the game defensively the same way with Rodgers starting. He would have eaten those blitzes for for dinner (not to be confused with blintzes) thus taking the pressure of the O-line somewhat.

In 2018 we played the Patriots and they faked an all out blitz and left MVS one on one vs the CB down the field. Rodgers snapped the ball and their entire safety and LB group stepped forward showing blitz and then backed into coverage. Rodgers immediately ripped it deep to MVS and Bellicheck stayed in 2 shell the rest of the game.

The thing that happened Sunday was they sent a 0 blitz once, we didnt make them pay, and they did it the rest of the game. No reason for a defense to respect you if you cant make em.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was also just going to mention that if Cobbs Catch was lucky, then so was Rodgers TD last week and so are about 10% of all completions in the NFL. WR are supposed to fight for catches that’s what they get paid to do for a career. What’s amazing to us is done all the time around the league in practices etc..

My point being that Love shouldn't continue to throw balls like that as they will get intercepted more often than a receiver coming down with it.

*on paper*

What's the point of saying the Saints defense is terrible on paper when they have proven on the field to be one of the best units in the league???

I’m not making excuses for Jordan, he needs to tighten up his game. However in 14 of 34 attempts he had an unblocked pass rusher? That’s speaks volumes to me.

Love not being able to set the protection correctly is partly to blame for it though.

Speaking of lucky but fighting for the ball. How about Richard Rogers, Jeff Janis, and Randall Cobb. Those are the recipients of 3 of AR Hail Marys. It don't come easy but someone does have to throw it in the first place.

There's a huge difference between throwing a hail mary at the end of a game or half compared to Love throwing one at that point.

I'm not completely sold on him being our 3rd in a row HOF'er but with more playing time I can see the game slowing down for him even more.

You shouldn't be sold on Love developing into a decent starter at the pro level after his performance against the Chiefs.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
I would suggest watching this fully and some of you rethinking those Love comments, our protection was awful.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I can see some on here will only be happy when Love is gone disregarding what he does. Instead of looking for faults, we need to get behind the guy and give him support. He didn`t steal anybodies job, he was the younger guy brought in for the future.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You shouldn't be sold on Love developing into a decent starter at the pro level after his performance against the Chiefs.
I'm a realist, capt. He IS the Packer's future as there's no way to "keep the band together" after '21. Gone will be AR, Adams, both Smiths, Cobb and possibly other high-cap guys. The OL is in place for a while, the D front core guys (Clark, Keke, Gary, Slaton) are in place, Jones & Dillon are here for next 2 years, so while the cap gets reset Love will guide the offense.

Re-signed UFA's will be Alexander, Tonyan (on a 1 or 2 yr "prove it" deal), Campbell and hopefully Bojo.

ERFA & RFA players re-signed to help keep consistency are: Lazard, Nijman, Taylor, Dafney, Black and Barnes. Yes, there will be a drop-off in overall talent and performance but IMHO there's no way around it but to reset the cap in one year & build back up.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point being that Love shouldn't continue to throw balls like that as they will get intercepted more often than a receiver coming down with it.

What's the point of saying the Saints defense is terrible on paper when they have proven on the field to be one of the best units in the league???

Love not being able to set the protection correctly is partly to blame for it though.

There's a huge difference between throwing a hail mary at the end of a game or half compared to Love throwing one at that point.

Whether a HMary or a routine back shoulder it takes a receive
I agree. He sure is making it difficult to let him go though. He has been fantastic these last two seasons.
Two would be good. What is the longest tenure of a Packer RB since FA started

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stand corrected regarding Aaron Jones being here for 2 years. He's still "cheap" next year with a cap of $9Mil and there's no cap savings for keeping him in '22. 2023 his cap # is $19.25Mil and if cut or traded leaves $6.5Mil dead money and a cap savings of $12.75Mil so he's realistically here through 2022 unless renegotiated.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stand corrected regarding Aaron Jones being here for 2 years. He's still "cheap" next year with a cap of $9Mil and there's no cap savings for keeping him in '22. 2023 his cap # is $19.25Mil and if cut or traded leaves $6.5Mil dead money and a cap savings of $12.75Mil so he's realistically here through 2022 unless renegotiated.
Well that is one year anyway.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nor should you be sold on him NOT developing into a decent starter at the pro level after his performance against the Chiefs.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure the only one with significant time and/or starter designation was Ahman Green

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a realist, capt. He IS the Packer's future as there's no way to "keep the band together" after '21. Gone will be AR, Adams, both Smiths, Cobb and possibly other high-cap guys. The OL is in place for a while, the D front core guys (Clark, Keke, Gary, Slaton) are in place, Jones & Dillon are here for next 2 years, so while the cap gets reset Love will guide the offense.

Re-signed UFA's will be Alexander, Tonyan (on a 1 or 2 yr "prove it" deal), Campbell and hopefully Bojo.

ERFA & RFA players re-signed to help keep consistency are: Lazard, Nijman, Taylor, Dafney, Black and Barnes. Yes, there will be a drop-off in overall talent and performance but IMHO there's no way around it but to reset the cap in one year & build back up.

Clearly they have to extend Rodgers...Love not gonna be ready fir another 2 years and that is if hes ever ready

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly they have to extend Rodgers...Love not gonna be ready fir another 2 years and that is if hes ever ready
That's a pretty definitive statement that he won't be ready until year 4. Was Justin Fields ready 6 games ago behind a garbage Chicago line? No, but he sure looks 500% better now after 6 games. Was Justin Herbert ready week 2 last year? What makes Love so much mentally slower or incapable of playing until 4 years into his career?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a pretty definitive statement that he won't be ready until year 4. Was Justin Fields ready 6 games ago behind a garbage Chicago line? No, but he sure looks 500% better now after 6 games. Was Justin Herbert ready week 2 last year? What makes Love so much mentally slower or incapable of playing until 4 years into his career?

Some guys just arent ever ready...i think we have to understand thats a possibility in fact the far more probable possibility

Im not ready to give up hope on the guy but idk despite the constant pressure he had some shots to make some big plays and didn't

Especially the one to Adams he threw out of bounds, just throw it inside and that's an easy td...still I really wish the defense had made one more play and got him the ball back with a chance at his first career 4th quarter comeback that would of told us a lot and honestly i feel like he would of made a play he was just seeming to get comfortable

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some guys just arent ever ready...i think we have to understand thats a possibility in fact the far more probable possibility

Im not ready to give up hope on the guy but idk despite the constant pressure he had some shots to make some big plays and didn't

Especially the one to Adams he threw out of bounds, just throw it inside and that's an easy td...still I really wish the defense had made one more play and got him the ball back with a chance at his first career 4th quarter comeback that would of told us a lot and honestly i feel like he would of made a play he was just seeming to get comfortable
I'm very confused...because he didn't get one more chance, which you feel he would've been successful, that now he won't be ready to lead the team for another year and a half? It only took him a half to get rid of the nerves and his 2nd half was much better than the first. I hope he sees more game action this year, whether it's final series of in-hand games or better yet, much of the 4th quarter of blowout victories. He needs to play to keep making strides.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very confused...because he didn't get one more chance, which you feel he would've been successful, that now he won't be ready to lead the team for another year and a half? It only took him a half to get rid of the nerves and his 2nd half was much better than the first. I hope he sees more game action this year, whether it's final series of in-hand games or better yet, much of the 4th quarter of blowout victories. He needs to play to keep making strides.

Ive said the whole time he needed 3 or 4 years behind rodgers to develop...just because I think had the Packers gotten the ball back they would of scored doesnt mean i think love is ready to play at the level Rodgers did in his first year as a starter

Whats your confidence level thst if love starts in 2022 his play will be up to that level?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive said the whole time he needed 3 or 4 years behind rodgers to develop...just because I think had the Packers gotten the ball back they would of scored doesnt mean i think love is ready to play at the level Rodgers did in his first year as a starter

Whats your confidence level thst if love starts in 2022 his play will be up to that level?
I believe the first 3 games will be a bit rough but MLF will adapt the playcalls to suit Love's strengths and games 4-17 GB will be competitive. Probably 7-10 wins, probably no playoffs, but cap-hell will be short and '23 will be 10-12 wins & playoffs. Pretty specific but I'm confident in a short rebuild.

Reaction score
I would suggest watching this fully and some of you rethinking those Love comments, our protection was awful.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It shows you what little I know. I picked on Love for tossing the ball out of bounds towards Adam’s on what could’ve been a TD there. Looking at that film he’s being assaulted by a free runner right through the B Gap and barely a chip shot on the DE on C gap. So both coming free made him throw .5 sec early.
Someone said Love should’ve been calling protections. But there were 14 free runs at him out of 34 and in every one I’ve seen reviewed? We either had a shortage of personnel to block (with 7 rushers) or our OL just plain failed. The only conceivable way out was to change it to a running play (where we likely get contested behind LOS) or call a Timeout.
When Love has time (like all QB) he seems to do fine. He did miss a few throws that I’d put in him (I think he’d admit that). However the receivers not running crisp cut routes, the OL not adjusting and the pure lack of personnel to handle the heat? Those are not directly on Love.

I know Love needs to make better throws. He had about 3-4 that he clearly missed and I put the fumble on him. That’s 5 plays. However the bigger picture was he couldn’t get in any rhythm because of our failure to give him proper time and that’s as much on the play caller as it is on the QB. It’s pretty obvious they were going to send the house

That said, I’ll have to argue, .8 sec isn’t enough time for a QB and he doesn’t have the experience to change all these plays. He had 2 days perpetration! Brady in his first contest would’ve ended up in a body cast with that poor blocking.

Next time we need to do a better job early in the game and use more plays with 12 personnel and also balance the run better until the game settles in. MLF was not just being nice taking blame he should have as this was as much his puppy that pooped everywhere. he’s been spoiled with a house trained doggy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I can see some on here will only be happy when Love is gone disregarding what he does. Instead of looking for faults, we need to get behind the guy and give him support. He didn`t steal anybodies job, he was the younger guy brought in for the future.

I'm quite sure there's not a single poster around here wanting Love to fail. That doesn't mean everybody needs to agree with the Packers decision to draft him in the first place though.

I'm a realist, capt. He IS the Packer's future as there's no way to "keep the band together" after '21. Gone will be AR, Adams, both Smiths, Cobb and possibly other high-cap guys.

There's a decent chance Love will be the Packers' starter next season. On the other side there are ways to create enough cap space to keep the band together for 2022 as well.

Of course a receiver must make a play for a pass to be completed as well but that doesn't mean the quarterback should throw a lot of passes up for grabs.

Both Green and Levens spent eight seasons with the Packers after the start of free agency in 1993.

Nor should you be sold on him NOT developing into a decent starter at the pro level after his performance against the Chiefs.

It would be foolish to do that after only one game. With that being said Love looked more like a bust than a future HOFer vs. the Chiefs.

Justin Herbert definitely looked way better in his first start than Love did.

The only conceivable way out was to change it to a running play (where we likely get contested behind LOS) or call a Timeout.

It seems Love was allowed to audible at the LOS. He should have changed to running plays more often.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the only one with significant time and/or starter designation was Ahman Green
I would have guessed Bennett or Levens. Maybe one of our forum historians has the right answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts