The importance of a running game

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Me neither, just happened to watch the last one (parts of it) and then I have seen them on 2 other occasions (full game viewed)

I just don't think he is that good. Not a bias to the 9ers, because I like a lot of their players. A.Smith is just over fluffed.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says the passing attack in Green Bay is carrying the offense, and it’s past time for the Packers to get things going on the ground. Rodgers said during his weekly radio show on WAUK-AM that the Packers can’t just throw the ball on every play, and so they’ve got to get…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Look, teams need some type of running game. Period. Without one it makes it tougher to win. Will you win with just a a running game, not likely. But just about every QB that won the SB in the last few years had some type of running game to back him up. Running 3 times in a half, Seattle, does not cut it. I said it then, I'll say it now. You have to run the ball. Do you need a 5.0 yard average? No. But I would say that if you don't get at least 3.4 - 4.0 then you might be in trouble. Although I have nothing to back that up. The NFL average for runs from 2006 to 2011 is about 4.2 yards per rush, but that includes all attempts. Ivo says it matters not how well you rush but the numbers of rushes that count, and some article he posted makes some claims to the same. Although a few statements in it are backed up by nothing. But it makes some good points. If you have 30 rushes per game and all go for -2 yards I don't think it will help you. Do you need a top back? No. Anyone remember who ran for the Patriots when Brady won his first Super Bowl? (No fair going to my list) If you never run the ball the play action pass but becomes another passing play with now other options, so why run it? Just use and empty backfield and get over with it.

Currently the top 6 teams throwing the ball for a higher percentage of passing plays over running plays are Atlanta 63%, Cleveland 65%, Detroit, 65%, Oakland 65% New Orleans 69% and Tennessee 65%. While Atlanta is doing well now, I would be willing to bet they don't make it far in the playoffs. Somewhere between 55% and 61% passing plays to running plays seems to be the magic numbers these past few years.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I glanced over the topics list, I initially thought this thread was called "The impotence of the running game," which made perfect sense to me at this point...

H

HardRightEdge

But we cant see that from just his stats..

Actually, you can measure this with some credibility using yards after catch (YAC) together with yards per catch. ESPN.com conveniently records YAC for each player and totals it for the team.

YAC can come on long balls as well as short, so it's important to look at the two stats together.

Green Bay receivers have recorded 2192 receiving yards this year with 930 YAC, or 42% YAC. Green Bay's average yards per completion is 10.6.

San Francisco receivers have recorded 1748 receiving yards this year with 628 YAC, or 36% YAC. SF's average yards per completion is 11.7.

The evidence is that GB has relied more on short pass completions and YAC than SF this season.

I find this a little surprising. It is clear that GB is more West Coast ****-and-dunk than last season and not connecting as frequently on long balls, but I did not expect ****-and-dunk to be more pronounced than with SF. But there it is...I would rely on this data more than anecdotal evidence from watching SF play twice.

The SF-****-and-dunk vs. GB-long-ball argument seems to be biased based on last season. In 2011, GB was 45% YAC, but with a 13.7 yards per catch average reflecting greater long ball success than this year. In 2011, SF was also at 45% YAC but with 11.5 yards per catch.

The fact GB is recording 29% fewer yards per completion is a very large and meaningful drop off, albeit from a very high level.

Members online

Latest posts