The Beer Sport

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm really confused now. I'm not a beer expert or a beer geek like my son. I just know what I like to drink. When I was in Lutherstadt Wittenberg one year, I ate at an outdoor cafe right by the old city hall with the statue of Luther in front of it. The beer they served me was in a tall glass and was one of the best beers I ever tasted. It was smooth and buttery tasting. Now I've been reading that buttery is bad. If it's bad, why did I like that beer so much? :confused:

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I'm really confused now. I'm not a beer expert or a beer geek like my son. I just know what I like to drink. When I was in Lutherstadt Wittenberg one year, I ate at an outdoor cafe right by the old city hall with the statue of Luther in front of it. The beer they served me was in a tall glass and was one of the best beers I ever tasted. It was smooth and buttery tasting. Now I've been reading that buttery is bad. If it's bad, why did I like that beer so much? :confused:

Buttery flavor is called Diacetyl. It is a flaw in the brewing process. I have not had a German beer with any diacetyl in it ever. I'm wondering if you mistook the creaminess of the beer and called it buttery to yourself. That certainly can happen to certain peoples tastebuds, when in fact it was not diacetyl. I am very sensitive to diacetyl. If there is even a tiny hint of it in a beer, I can pick it up, and to me its a horrible flavor.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Buttery flavor is called Diacetyl. It is a flaw in the brewing process. I have not had a German beer with any diacetyl in it ever. I'm wondering if you mistook the creaminess of the beer and called it buttery to yourself. That certainly can happen to certain peoples tastebuds, when in fact it was not diacetyl. I am very sensitive to diacetyl. If there is even a tiny hint of it in a beer, I can pick it up, and to me its a horrible flavor.

Now that you mention it, "creaminess" might be a good description for it. It was definitely the best beer I ever drank with my plebeian taste buds.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Bit of advice needed really ladies and gents.
American beers can be a bit difficult to come by in England, but i stumbled across 'Blue Moon' which the bottle said was from Colorado, and wasnt too bad, quite a zesty mix between a lager and an ale is how i'd describe it.

Anyway, any other American beers that are good and worth paying for? Hoping to find one from WI or close to if possible too.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
American beers can be a bit difficult to come by in England, but i stumbled across 'Blue Moon' which the bottle said was from Colorado, and wasnt too bad, quite a zesty mix between a lager and an ale is how i'd describe it.

Anyway, any other American beers that are good and worth paying for? Hoping to find one from WI or close to if possible too.

Blue Moon isn't regarded very highly here. It's a Coor's product. It's a watered down Belgian-style Witbier, and it's an ale for sure.

Try to find any American Micro brewery (Maybe Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, Dogfishhead or Sam Adams) and try one of their Pale Ale's or IPA. That will give you a good idea of what good beer drinkers drink here in the USA.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Goose Island brewery, who I think are a Chicago brewery make some nice beers too !! If I say this enough, maybe they`ll send me a case as a thank you ??

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Leini's is nothing more than a single infusion wheat beer, that doesn't taste good so they dump some fruit in there. That's not what good brewers do.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Oops, did I score an own goal ? :oops::D
They have an awesome, local cider on the tap here in this pub and B&B where we are staying for the night. Think I will have one later.:)
http://www.gwaelodinn.co.uk/

LOL... it was unintentional I'm sure.

WOW, that place looks cool! I'd love to be there and try those selections. Brew with a view... nice.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Jeepers. I just looked at the lunch menu for this Gwaelod Inn. What the hell? I thought they spoke English over there? I don't even know what some of this stuff is? Penclawwd Laverbread? Crevettes? Locally made Faggots? What the hell is this?

@buggybill2003

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Jeepers. I just looked at the lunch menu for this Gwaelod Inn. What the hell? I thought they spoke English over there? I don't even know what some of this stuff is? Penclawwd Laverbread? Crevettes? Locally made Faggots? What the hell is this?

@buggybill2003

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Faggots are a delicacy where i'm from - which is also known as 'The Black Country' (might be work a little google seach), i wont tell you what is in faggots, because you definately wont try them if i do!

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

Never was a beer drinker until I was stationed in England in 75, all there was in America back then tasted like **** and had to be served ice cold. Loved going to the pubs, especially over Christmas. Used to start out the night with a Carlsberg special spiked with a bottle of Barley wine. Got the night drinking kick started. Came back to the states and still the same old swill so stopped drinking. Went back in 82 and was a pub crawler again. A Brit opened an English pub near my house and I was thrilled. They had a hundred different beers, if you drank them all you got a plaque on the wall. That's where I met my wife. She was on summer break and was trying to be the first to get a plaque on the wall. Thank god for the Micro brew revolution. Just south of me in San Diego county there are a bunch of breweries. One opened at the Airport near me called hanger 24, go over there on Fridays when they open a new keg. Over the years my tastes have evolved. Started out a stout man, moved on to Browns and Now there's nothing as good as an IPA.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Faggots are a delicacy where i'm from - which is also known as 'The Black Country' (might be work a little google seach), i wont tell you what is in faggots, because you definately wont try them if i do!

Finally was able to google it. Yeah, I don't know about pigs heart and liver... I think I will pass on that one.

Members online

Latest posts