The 3 Fullback Thing Is Bothering Me.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
-Ruvell Martin

-Jamon Meredith

-Anthony Smith

3 players that aren't on our team anymore. 3 players that could contribute. All 3 of them more valuable than Korey Hall or Jon Kuhn.

I'm beginning to feel like we're hamstrung, roster-wise, by carrying 3 fullbacks. It's odd to have that many and I really think it's hurting our roster. Ted, it's time to man up and cut one. I don't care that you like both Hall and Kuhn, only 1 of them will actually contribute in a game so get rid of one. The team is better off with 2 fullbacks and an extra O-linemen or Safety.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it meant an improvement in ST play, I would be fine with it. Agaist the bears, we played really well. We plain sucked against the bengals.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is really going overboard in his belief in Quin Johnson. He better turn out to be a stud, that roster spot is hurting our depth at other key positions.

Hobbes09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that we may have focused too much on ST with this season's roster. ST can be surprisingly impactful, but so can depth. On the flipside, Meredith would not have contributed anything this year whatsoever and it's surprising someone actually signed him and Smith obviously had some question marks outside of his field of play which might have been or already was cancerous because there's no way guys like Bush outplayed him. Martin's the only guy I might waffle about, but he wasn't in any sort of competition with a FB.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
I agree that we may have focused too much on ST with this season's roster. ST can be surprisingly impactful, but so can depth. On the flipside, Meredith would not have contributed anything this year whatsoever and it's surprising someone actually signed him and Smith obviously had some question marks outside of his field of play which might have been or already was cancerous because there's no way guys like Bush outplayed him. Martin's the only guy I might waffle about, but he wasn't in any sort of competition with a FB.

Actually the Packers still have Merideth. He was activated for the game against the bengals because of the healthy scratches.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnson will be a devastating blocker once he gets to know the scheme. Personally, I think they should keep Kuhn cut Hall and bring in Meredith to see what hes got esp with this O Line debacle.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they kept Smith would he have been entitled to more pay then the other guys? The packer organization loves to save money remember.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow. well congrats to whoever made this decision i am pretty convinced he could be a pretty decent player and was during the draft. ugh what a way to start the year. the bills should be happy they got a player with some versatility and possibly starting potential.
Just looks like another wasted draft pick that could have been used for a trade on a veteran OL.

bklynzwhitestrican

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he would've cut either hall or kuhn, i guarantee a team would have picked them up off of waivers right away. i think TT realized that and decided that it would be better to hold onto them for their value.. it would be smart to trade one of them this season for a draft pick or some depth at a needed position.. but if he just ends up releasing one of them at the end of the year, then i don't see the logic in his move

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he would've cut either hall or kuhn, i guarantee a team would have picked them up off of waivers right away. i think TT realized that and decided that it would be better to hold onto them for their value.. it would be smart to trade one of them this season for a draft pick or some depth at a needed position.. but if he just ends up releasing one of them at the end of the year, then i don't see the logic in his move

You mean just like Anthony Smith, Aaron Rouse, and maybe also Jamon Meredith?

bklynzwhitestrican

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well i don't think anybody would have offered anything for meredith (rookie 5th round pick who is very raw) and smith (the packers had just picked him up off of waivers, plus he has a knack for getting burnt downfield). i was honestly kind of surprised by rouse getting cut though and i think they could've gotten maybe a 7th round pick or a backup player for him, but maybe management saw something that we didn't.. or maybe they're just trying to shake things up by sending a message to the other players that nobody's job is safe. but either way, only time will tell whether management made the right decisions

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

People don't trade for fullbacks. They'll sign one off the street before giving up a draft pick or a player at a more valuable position. Frankly, it's the least valuable position on the field.

Also, it's not like Kuhn and Hall are in the league of Lo Neal and Tony Richardson. They aren't even that good at their position. There is no team that would give you a pick or player for either one of them.

The fact is that two of the fullbacks will rot on the bench all year while one of them plays. Also rotting on that bench: an extra roster spot.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People don't trade for fullbacks. They'll sign one off the street before giving up a draft pick or a player at a more valuable position. Frankly, it's the least valuable position on the field.

Also, it's not like Kuhn and Hall are in the league of Lo Neal and Tony Richardson. They aren't even that good at their position. There is no team that would give you a pick or player for either one of them.

The fact is that two of the fullbacks will rot on the bench all year while one of them plays. Also rotting on that bench: an extra roster spot.
I would like to know how many of the people we cut have been picked up by another team within a matter of a week. This could be TT's downfall with keeping 3 FB's and not backups for other positions that are in need.

minnypacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is really going overboard in his belief in Quin Johnson. He better turn out to be a stud, that roster spot is hurting our depth at other key positions.

I think it's a wierd fettish with FB's. I have no problem keeping Quinn, but how in the heck do we need Kuhn and Hall. Pick one and go for it.

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with the lead post. Swain for Martin was the right choice and Meredith to the PS was the right choice. Waiving Smith - not so much. Meredith had a lot of questions coming out of college. Many draft EXPERTS had him going in the 2nd, but rumors were out there that he did not play hard enough and coaches at SC did not give him a glowing endorsement. I did not see him do anything during the preseason to earn a roster spot. Picking between Kuhn, Hall, Johnson would be tough, but I think I would of went with Kuhn and Johnson, waived Martin and Meredith and kept Smith. He looked good in the preseason games - could not be any worse then Rouse or Bush. I read someplace that Smith got the axe because he was unwilling to play special team - I find that hard to believe.

Members online

Latest posts