Tebow Better Than Rodgers In Espn's Qbr

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • QBR is a per-play evaluation, so it evaluates what Rodgers did on 47 "action plays." Tebow had 16 "action plays." It's a little bit like comparing a pinch hitter in baseball to someone who played nine innings. QBR is explained as a measure of efficiency at any given moment, not necessarily over the same time period.
  • QBR evaluates a wider spectrum of quarterback play than completions and yards, including sacks, scrambles and passing yards after the catch.
  • Tebow scrambled six times for 38 yards and a touchdown, giving him considerable credit. Rodgers' only "carry" was a one-yard kneel-down to end the game.
  • Rodgers took four sacks. Tebow did not have a play that resulted in negative yardage. Quarterbacks are given a share of blame for sacks.
  • Almost half of Rodgers' passing total, 197 of 396, was judged to come after the catch, for which quarterbacks receive less credit.
  • QBR weighs a quarterback's performance relative to the game situation. Here's how Bennett described the difference between how QBR viewed Tebow's clutch performance and how it viewed Rodgers': "Rodgers performed about the same as Tebow in bringing his team back from a 14-0 deficit (QBR of 83.6 from start of 2nd qtr). However, unlike Tebow, Rodgers was on the field when he team went into as 14-0 hole. Since those plays count towards his overall [performance], his QBR was 82 for the game."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/32570/explaining-the-rodgers-tebow-qbr-caper

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/28374/tebows-diverse-skills-boost-total-qbr

It comes down to it was one game, Until Tebow puts together a total season and plays well (3k yards, 20+ TD's) he's nothing but potential

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Now why would go post something like that? It makes to much sense, after all the true measure of a QB is the old passer rating. The QBR sucks. Haven't you heard? Why would you take what a QB would do other than pass the ball? After all, QB's never run for first downs, TD's or extra points. They never leave the pocket to extend plays. That stuff is just not important. And if his WR's drop 5 passes during the game, it should count against him because he should have thrown the ball better. So the QBR sucks.

Oh, I know, because people at home have no idea how it's done. So it has to suck. Funny, I didn't hear anyone complaining about Rodger's QBR after the Denver game. Wonder why?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Dang Bogart, tell us how you really feel

On a side note: Well said.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

ESPN wants him to sell jerseys, that's all. He's a marketing tool.

Sad thing is, not even good quarterbacks in history lived with so much media attention (Elway, Aikman, Young, Kelly) and they did more than Tebow has done at this point.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
You know, come to think about it, we need quarterbacks like Tebow and Vick that get 80% of the media coverage.

This take the spotlight off the real talent and real teams that put W's on the board.

Also builds a target on another team thanks to super media coverage (Dream Team Eagles rather than where the target should be at (Defending Super Bowl Champions).

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
ESPN and QBR system sucks. "If you don't want to accept that, I don't know what else I can do for you"

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Can we please just admit that we would all trade Rodgers and Jennings just for one season of tebow.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
ESPN and QBR system sucks. "If you don't want to accept that, I don't know what else I can do for you"
For all of you that think it sucks, I don't want to hear you complaining about Rodgers not getting credit for running plays or running TD's in.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
For all of you that think it sucks, I don't want to hear you complaining about Rodgers not getting credit for running plays or running TD's in.
And besides, what kind of junk is that Rodgers doesn't get credit for running plays or running TDs?

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
TOuchy touchy are we? I hear praise on rodgers everytime he is mentioned on ESPN.

All the hate for tebow? Why?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's just a bogus irrelevant other way to rate the QB which isn't very accurate.
Makes it seem like all I have to do is complete just one pass and somehow I had a better game than all other 32 QBs combined.
Nothing to see here folks. Move along. Move along.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOuchy touchy are we? I hear praise on rodgers everytime he is mentioned on ESPN.

Because this guy has the qb mechanics of a gorilla, stares his receivers down like a laser beam, has happy feet, and an overinflated fan base. He is not a better qb than Rodgers, and never will be. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Bottom line this is all media hype. I'm not buying that Tim Tebow has what it takes. I've heard too much to the contrary by good NFL sources, including a plethora of retired QB's. About the only thing that I think goes in Tebow's favor is his leadership and ability to scramble.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Because this guy has the qb mechanics of a gorilla, stares his receivers down like a laser beam, has happy feet, and an overinflated fan base. He is not a better qb than Rodgers, and never will be. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Bottom line this is all media hype. I'm not buying that Tim Tebow has what it takes. I've heard too much to the contrary by good NFL sources, including a plethora of retired QB's. About the only thing that I think goes in Tebow's favor is his leadership and ability to scramble.

Totally agree.

There's quarterbacks that don't even get mentioned much but why Tebow?

What about Fitzpatrick? He wasn't that bad last season and so far he's impressing this season.

But instead we get Tebow, Romo, Vick, Kolb....ugh

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If they ever did extend passing ratings by applying rushing stats, then Randall Cunnigham would be the greatest quarterback of all time. Guys like Vick would be very over inflated in stats.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just a bogus irrelevant other way to rate the QB which isn't very accurate.
Makes it seem like all I have to do is complete just one pass and somehow I had a better game than all other 32 QBs combined.
Nothing to see here folks. Move along. Move along.

how is the Passer rating any better? guys have ****** passer ratings that played great games and ones that have great passer rating after a ****** game. Sure it would be nice to see what is behind the QBR, but it was designed to give a complete picture of the QB's and what they do.

If the NFL had come out with it instead of ESPN, there wouldn't be as much hate for it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
how is the Passer rating any better? guys have ****** passer ratings that played great games and ones that have great passer rating after a ****** game. Sure it would be nice to see what is behind the QBR, but it was designed to give a complete picture of the QB's and what they do.

If the NFL had come out with it instead of ESPN, there wouldn't be as much hate for it.
Actually they explained it pretty well. They look at each play and put a value to what the QB did on that play. What they didn't do is put out how everything is valued and that is what most people don't like about it. Nor did they put out the formula for putting it all together. It's not just QB rating with rushing stats. It's QB rating with, hey, he rolled to the left out of the pocket, avoided a sack and passed for 25 yards and a TD on that play. Which has a higher value than say the QB rating of a 25 yard passing td. But because it came from ESPN and they don't put the formula out there people want to call it bogus. In order to apply it to older QB's you would have to go back and watch every game they ever played. Therefore they will never be able to do it to guys like Starr. But to each is own. Once Rodgers ends up at or near the top at the end of the year some will be bragging it up. Same thing happened when the QB rating came out.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think it matters who had come up with this.
I think the reason why this is hated is because Tebow is ranked above Rodgers which seems wonky because Rodgers had a better game.
Completed more passes.
Won the game.
Threw for more touchdowns or longer ones.
Etc etc.

Even though it's not a conspiracy, it just seems like ESPN came up with a way to reach and find a way to rank Rodgers lower.

At the end of the day, this ESPN ranking thing doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It's not going to be noticed in official NFL record books. And Rodgers won and is better, way better than Tebow.
That's all that should really matter.
I'm done with this thread because it's now irrelevant to me.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't think it matters who had come up with this.
I think the reason why this is hated is because Tebow is ranked above Rodgers which seems wonky because Rodgers had a better game.
Completed more passes.
Won the game.
Threw for more touchdowns or longer ones.
Etc etc.

Even though it's not a conspiracy, it just seems like ESPN came up with a way to reach and find a way to rank Rodgers lower.

At the end of the day, this ESPN ranking thing doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It's not going to be noticed in official NFL record books. And Rodgers won and is better, way better than Tebow.
That's all that should really matter.
I'm done with this thread because it's now irrelevant to me.
Rodgers had a better game "Passing the ball". Rodgers also played a full game, Tebow played a half. When the only thing a QB does is stand in the pocket and pass the ball the QB rating is fine.

ESPN came up with a way to make what the QB does on every play relevant. Not just how many passes he completes.

Even the NFL admits the QB rating is not a measure of the QB.
As the NFL notes, "It is important to remember that the system is used to rate passers, not quarterbacks. Statistics do not reflect leadership, play-calling, and other intangible factors that go into making a successful professional quarterback."
http://www.nfl.com/help/quarterbackratingformula

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a better game "Passing the ball". Rodgers also played a full game, Tebow played a half. When the only thing a QB does is stand in the pocket and pass the ball the QB rating is fine.

ESPN came up with a way to make what the QB does on every play relevant. Not just how many passes he completes.

Even the NFL admits the QB rating is not a measure of the QB.

http://www.nfl.com/help/quarterbackratingformula
OK
Gotchya.
Thank you.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

I don't know...because I'm an Alabama fan and saw him crying after they whipped Florida's butt? There's no crying in the NFL! (Until your brother is inducted into the HOF, and says he was only the SECOND best football player in the family!)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know...because I'm an Alabama fan and saw him crying after they whipped Florida's butt? There's no crying in the NFL! (Until your brother is inducted into the HOF, and says he was only the SECOND best football player in the family!)
Or if your a flip-flopping wishy washy waffle head who retires and un-retires as often as one changes their socks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts