Target Jadeveon Clowney?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching the Week 10 match-up between the 49ers and Seahawks from last season, and I'm imaging how Clowney could wreak havoc along the D-Line.

This defense would be formidable with Clark, the Bros. Smith and those ball hawks in the secondary.

With Lane Taylor restructuring his contract and the Packers nearly $14M under the cap, should Green Bay make a call?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robrei...ve-the-green-bay-packers-a-lift/#238388485771

As of today 6/1/20, draft picks from rounds 1-5 are unsigned, but would Clowney entertain a $9-11 one year deal?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d be happy to let someone else pay him the money he’s looking for

Bobby D

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need a big body that can plug the middle cause that’s where every team’s test is coming from after debacle #2 in the city by the bay
Can’t afford Clown and not our greatest need by a long shot

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need a big body that can plug the middle cause that’s where every team’s test is coming from after debacle #2 in the city by the bay
Can’t afford Clown and not our greatest need by a long shot

I think if he's willing to come down on his price for a one year deal, he fulfills many needs. He is a big body, great against the run, can pass rush, and creates a ton of pressures. He would be a great fit along the D-Line and would add to a position of strength.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowney has injury problems and is similar in size and plays the same role as the Smiths. What the Packers need is a DT that can plug the run and make tackles for loss. The Packers are counting on Gary to be edge rusher number 3. If he proves to be a bust, then looking at a guy like Clowney next year might make some sense but not this year.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are better players at bigger positions of need available for less money so this is going to be a pass from me.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of those guys that my gut tells me is going to cash in big, and then take it easy.

No interest except an 1 year incentive laden deal. The guy can play at an extremely high level.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching the Week 10 match-up between the 49ers and Seahawks from last season, and I'm imaging how Clowney could wreak havoc along the D-Line.

This defense would be formidable with Clark, the Bros. Smith and those ball hawks in the secondary.

With Lane Taylor restructuring his contract and the Packers nearly $14M under the cap, should Green Bay make a call?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robrei...ve-the-green-bay-packers-a-lift/#238388485771

As of today 6/1/20, draft picks from rounds 1-5 are unsigned, but would Clowney entertain a $9-11 one year deal?
Clowney would not and will not even give the Packers a thought - lucky for them.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If as a hypothetical at least, this is an interesting option.

I confess I am not very familiar with his game and have the impression he's more of a pass rusher and similar to the Smith brothers as Sanguine Camper noted, (What the hell kind of name is that, by the way?) though he is a very good player.

The Packer's D needs to stop the run-- hell, the team's only real need is to stop the run-- and having done very little to strengthen this area during FA and the draft, I think Gute should be exploring every possibility.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packer's D needs to stop the run-- hell, the team's only real need is to stop the run-- and having done very little to strengthen this area during FA and the draft, I think Gute should be exploring every possibility.

The team has other areas to improve over last year's squad as well but Clowney wouldn't address any of them.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if he's willing to come down on his price for a one year deal, he fulfills many needs. He is a big body, great against the run, can pass rush, and creates a ton of pressures. He would be a great fit along the D-Line and would add to a position of strength.
How many $$$ is he looking for?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team has other areas to improve over last year's squad as well but Clowney wouldn't address any of them.
And you have to consider the price tag. I don’t know what he wants but I’d guess it’s in the $15 mil per range. And we have the Smith Bro’s and hopefully an ascending Rashan Gary.

And what does he do for the run D? Very little IMO. The interior D line needs help. I’d say were fine with OLBs/Edge rushers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If as a hypothetical at least, this is an interesting option.

I confess I am not very familiar with his game and have the impression he's more of a pass rusher and similar to the Smith brothers as Sanguine Camper noted, (What the hell kind of name is that, by the way?) though he is a very good player.

Agreed Jon. Clowney would be an excellent, but expensive edge rusher. We have those guys. GB needs interior D-linemen to help with the run.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because no one in our organization is asinine enough to think this is a good idea and call him.
Exactly, and end of story. GB needs interior D-line help for the run. Clowney doesn’t;’t help much with that, does he? Not to my knowledge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many $$$ is he looking for?

I think the closer the season gets to training camp, the more desperate Clowney could become. I can't see him sitting out the season. A multi year contract is out the window. I think he will have to take less money and a 1 year deal.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and I think it raises a red flag that he hasn’t signed yet. As far as I know, he’s a very good player at his position. He didn’t help his cause by clobbering the Steelers’ QB with the QB’s own helmet. Even if the Packers needed an edge rusher, and they don’t, I’d pass on this guy.

Uh...yea. You've got the wrong guy. You're talking about Myles Garrett.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the closer the season gets to training camp, the more desperate Clowney could become. I can't see him sitting out the season. A multi year contract is out the window. I think he will have to take less money and a 1 year deal.

I heard he turned down $15 mil from the Seahawks for a one-year deal, sorry I don't know the details. The devil is always in the details.

He's talented, but the Packers have needs elsewhere, so I think I'd pass.

MolineGeneseo12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowney has injury problems and is similar in size and plays the same role as the Smiths. What the Packers need is a DT that can plug the run and make tackles for loss. The Packers are counting on Gary to be edge rusher number 3. If he proves to be a bust, then looking at a guy like Clowney next year might make some sense but not this year.

MolineGeneseo12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Gary is a bust, and will not make the roster, next year 2021. Whoever, drafted him should be fired. For Clowney, I would not be against a performance based contract, if on the field paid, not, no incentives. To spell the Smiths, Clark etc., our open spread run defense must improve or no serious playoff run.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Gary is a bust, and will not make the roster, next year 2021. Whoever, drafted him should be fired. For Clowney, I would not be against a performance based contract, if on the field paid, not, no incentives. To spell the Smiths, Clark etc., our open spread run defense must improve or no serious playoff run.

Unless he gets a career-ender like Collins or Finley, then Gary will be on our roster for at least 4 years regardless of how he performs.

Someone will eventually give Clowney what he wants, and what we don't have. And that's $$$. Clowney is a game-breaking talent and someone will pay him.

MolineGeneseo12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless he gets a career-ender like Collins or Finley, then Gary will be on our roster for at least 4 years regardless of how he performs.

Someone will eventually give Clowney what he wants, and what we don't have. And that's $$$. Clowney is a game-breaking talent and someone will pay him.