Taking my Dad to Lambeau for his birthday (Miami game)

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So my dad, a lifelong packer fan, born and raised in Racine, WI, has a birthday coming up here in a few weeks. He's been a devout Packer fan ever since the Vince Lombardi era... however, he's never once been to Green Bay, not once been to Lambeau. So, I decided after having gone to my first Packer game last year and being blown away by how freaking awesome it was that I HAD to take him this year for his birthday.

So we're going up for the Miami game next weekend!! We are going to drive up Sunday morning for the game, stay Sunday night and then stay Monday for the Lambeau tour and HOF.

I know this get's asked a TON on here, but do you guys have any suggestions on what things we need to do, and see, while in Green Bay??

Thanks All!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So my dad, a lifelong packer fan, born and raised in Racine, WI, has a birthday coming up here in a few weeks. He's been a devout Packer fan ever since the Vince Lombardi era... however, he's never once been to Green Bay, not once been to Lambeau. So, I decided after having gone to my first Packer game last year and being blown away by how freaking awesome it was that I HAD to take him this year for his birthday.

So we're going up for the Miami game next weekend!! We are going to drive up Sunday morning for the game, stay Sunday night and then stay Monday for the Lambeau tour and HOF.

I know this get's asked a TON on here, but do you guys have any suggestions on what things we need to do, and see, while in Green Bay??

Thanks All!
That's real nice of you to do that for your dad.
Have a good time and may the two of you have good memories to share after wards.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of Football check out

• the pancake place
  • brett favre steak house
  • stadium view
Football Related

• packer hall of fame is a must, especially now since they added Bart Starr's Championship rings very recently, including his wife's championship necklace, both were recently donated by them
  • try to obtain a packers tailgate ticket it's about $25 a piece and so worth it, plenty of food & beer in a buffet style by Nitschke Field
  • The Pro Shop is awesome in the atrium
  • Take the Lambeau Field Tour, if you can do it the day before the game, you get to walk through the tunnel, the field, the box seats, sorta by the locker room
I went for my first game there Last year when they played Dallas, drove from NJ to get there, we had no clue what to do when we went, but we figured it out, had an awesome time, and it's going to be real special for your pops, when you approach Lambeau you almost feel overwhelmed by something

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
Yeah, if you get there early enough before the game(up to 3 hours before) go to one of the pregame 'tailgate' parties for $25 at any of the bars near the field or the one at Bart Starr Plaza in front of the Resch Center. After the game be ready to party at all those bars under the tents with live bands and a few thousand people wearing Green and Gold. Like armand34 said the Stadium View is probably the best but I like to visit most of them.

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You MUST Take your dad to Fuzzy Thurston's bar. Fuzzy was the "other" guard besides Jerry Kramer in the Lombardi era, and many say he was the better player. He's a genuinely nice guy, completely approachable, quite a character, and your dad will definitely remember him. Fuzzy also played on 6 world championship teams; not very many have done that.

You'll find Fuzzy sitting at the bar after the game. Then he'll spend a couple hours in the back room signing autographs. No charge, but it would be nice if you guys bought "Fuzzy'z" hats or t-shirts or something for him to sign. I don't think he's a pauper, but he sure as hell isn't loaded like today's players. The first time I went, Fuzzy spent quite a bit of time talking with me. He seemed to like that I'm old enough to have actually seen him play.

Christ, I haven't been up there in a few years now. I hope everything is still the same, especially for your dad's sake. You're a good son.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You MUST Take your dad to Fuzzy Thurston's bar. Fuzzy was the "other" guard besides Jerry Kramer in the Lombardi era, and many say he was the better player. He's a genuinely nice guy, completely approachable, quite a character, and your dad will definitely remember him. Fuzzy also played on 6 world championship teams; not very many have done that.

You'll find Fuzzy sitting at the bar after the game. Then he'll spend a couple hours in the back room signing autographs. No charge, but it would be nice if you guys bought "Fuzzy'z" hats or t-shirts or something for him to sign. I don't think he's a pauper, but he sure as hell isn't loaded like today's players. The first time I went, Fuzzy spent quite a bit of time talking with me. He seemed to like that I'm old enough to have actually seen him play.

Christ, I haven't been up there in a few years now. I hope everything is still the same, especially for your dad's sake. You're a good son.

You know, now that you mention the Fuzzy Thurston thing, I remember my dad talking about going to a bar all the time while he was in college called "The Left Guard" or something, I thought he said something about it being owned by Fuzzy/Kramer??

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Yeah defiantly try and get there early. The best suggestion I have for you is buy a case of beer put it in a cooler walk into lambeau fields parking lot and just tailgate with anyone and jump from car to car. People at lambeau don't care at all they are all welcoming(that even goes for opposing fans) one party u gotta stop at is the titletown swat bus they will b located right next to the bus that has all the bras hanging on it lol. Usually there are around 50-75 people tailgating around the bus, he'll it even has it's own toilet in it lol. After the game(hopefully it's a win) head to stadium view(which was recently just voted in the top 10 for best sports bars in the us) and continue your party there. They have good live bands, only thing I suggest is buy your beer outside because 1.you get it a lot faster than u would inside and 2. For some reason it's cheaper outside it's like 3.75 for a 24 ounce can outside and 3.75 for a 12 ounce bottle inside. But other than that just be ready to party like no other and have your breath taken from you when you first walk into the stadium. I have been to about 50 games n I still get goose bumps when I walk into lambeau.

Also it's awesome that your giving such a great bday present to your pops glad that he will get to enjoy his first packers victory live!!!