Tae Adams

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thats my point..he signed it.. Now did the team promised something? Thats why its an issue now?
They might have, but if it's not in writing, well.....I guess it doesn't mean much. I am still guessing they tried to pacify Rodgers after the Love pick with something like "you know, if you aren't happy in a year or 2, we can talk about trading you to another team". Rodgers took that as a "promise".

The other aspect of this is his trade value. His trade value would be a lot higher if the Packers could trade him under his current contract terms. Technically, they can, but he will make it clear that he won't play. So all these draft picks people expect the Packers to get for him are going to be reduced when a team finds out how much it's going to cost to sign him to a new deal. His latest attitude doesn't help the Packers in negotiations either.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again though, they mutally agreed on a deal that was beneficial to both parties. What if Rodgers game went to hell? What if he suffered a career ending injury? Should the Packers be able to say "see, we were afraid this might happen and we talked about it, so I think we should get a lot of that up-front money back." It's life, it's contracts, I do think feel sorry for the Packers when they lose out on a guy like Mo Bennett and I surely don't feel bad about Rodgers.

Oh yeah I don't feel bad for anyone involved I'm just saying both sides knew this was gonna be a problem. Which likely had at least something to do with the decision by the front office to draft love when they did. In order to decrease Rodgers leverage and hedge their bets just in case

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again though, they mutally agreed on a deal that was beneficial to both parties. What if Rodgers game went to hell? What if he suffered a career ending injury? Should the Packers be able to say "see, we were afraid this might happen and we talked about it, so I think we should get a lot of that up-front money back." It's life, it's contracts, I do think feel sorry for the Packers when they lose out on a guy like Mo Bennett and I surely don't feel bad about Rodgers.

Yeah I don't feel bad for anyone involved at all. But I'm just saying both sides knew this was gonna be a problem at this time...hence the Packers hedged their bets by selecting love when they did while at the same time decreasing rodgers leverage

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They might have, but if it's not in writing, well.....I guess it doesn't mean much. I am still guessing they tried to pacify Rodgers after the Love pick with something like "you know, if you aren't happy in a year or 2, we can talk about trading you to another team". Rodgers took that as a "promise".

The other aspect of this is his trade value. His trade value would be a lot higher if the Packers could trade him under his current contract terms. Technically, they can, but he will make it clear that he won't play. So all these draft picks people expect the Packers to get for him are going to be reduced when a team finds out how much it's going to cost to sign him to a new deal. His latest attitude doesn't help the Packers in negotiations either.

I believe someone reported that there is no new money involved in this deal...and if they had agreed on something and as you say it wasn't in writing so the packers didn't honor the agreement...is that somewhere you'd continue to want to work?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh yeah I don't feel bad for anyone involved I'm just saying both sides knew this was gonna be a problem. Which likely had at least something to do with the decision by the front office to draft love when they did. In order to decrease Rodgers leverage and hedge their bets just in case
I think the pick was probably a year early, but totally understand them doing it if they got a guy they thought they wouldn't get a shot at in years. Thus year, what QB would they have taken? Next season? I don't think the pick was intended to freeze out Rodgers or hedge against what he is doing now. It was a logical Football move and very similar to the one that brought Rodgers to Green Bay. I hope in a few years people are talking about hiw brilliant the pick was. If not, it shouldn't ever be viewed as "They should have known that this pick not only will send Rodgers packing, but it will be a bust to boot". Packers drafting Dillion didn't seem to bother Jones. Still hard to fathom why Rodgers is so insecure about his job.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe someone reported that there is no new money involved in this deal...and if they had agreed on something and as you say it wasn't in writing so the packers didn't honor the agreement...is that somewhere you'd continue to want to work?
Who is saying there was a "deal"? What were the terms? Until you get sworn statements of something from both sides, it's nothing but conjecture.

If both sides actually made a verbal deal and it was clear cut, sure I would be pissed at the other side and more pissed at myself I didn't get it in writing. I just don't think it happened that way.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the pick was probably a year early, but totally understand them doing it if they got a guy they thought they wouldn't get a shot at in years. Thus year, what QB would they have taken? Next season? I don't think the pick was intended to freeze out Rodgers or hedge against what he is doing now. It was a logical Football move and very similar to the one that brought Rodgers to Green Bay. I hope in a few years people are talking about hiw brilliant the pick was. If not, it shouldn't ever be viewed as "They should have known that this pick not only will send Rodgers packing, but it will be a bust to boot". Packers drafting Dillion didn't seem to bother Jones. Still hard to fathom why Rodgers is so insecure about his job.

No it was because they liked the player, he was available late first and to plan for this contract situation arising...because once again everyone knew this was coming so much so that Rodgers publicly commented on it at all

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL and the NBA a contract is a contract, until it's not. An elite player like Rodgers can simply say he wants to be traded and will be so unhappy if he isn't, and hey, that could affect his play. The team can't dictate his level of play and so they almost have to give in to his demands. LeBron James has done this twice now. They're nothing but divas.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the NFL and the NBA a contract is a contract, until it's not. An elite player like Rodgers can simply say he wants to be traded and will be so unhappy if he isn't, and hey, that could affect his play. The team can't dictate his level of play and so they almost have to give in to his demands. LeBron James has done this twice now. They're nothing but divas.

Nba contracts until very recently were all fully guaranteed. Still today I believe most if not all of the big ones are still fully guaranteed

That's a big difference between NFL contracts which are almost never fully guaranteed especially the big ones. Only instance I can think of is Curt Cousins Vikings contract. Believe that was 3 years 90 million fully guaranteed...

NFL contracts are heavily skewed to favor the employer NBA contracts heavily skewed to favor the players

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams will not be paid 27 m per by any team and DeAndre Hopkins isn't either...his deal is 5 years 95 million that comes to 19 m per not 27

He signed a 2-year, $54.5m extension with the Cardinals. So the money was correct but the team to be blamed was incorrect. Hopkins is averaging $27m per year, it's why receiver contracts are going to be tough.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah over 2 years while he had 3 years remaining on his current contract...so you see what I'm saying it ain't 27 m per. The extension was 2 years 54 million but the other 3 years aren't at 27 m per. You have to take into account the entire contract not just the 2 year extension

No, you don't. The new extension is a new contract. That's the money he's earning per year on the extension, which is a new contract. Otherwise every new contract with a current team would just be an extension.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Rodgers is insecure about his job but was disappointed the Packers rather took a chance of his successor years down the road than to upgrade a roster that made the NFCCG the previous year.

No, you don't. The new extension is a new contract. That's the money he's earning per year on the extension, which is a new contract. Otherwise every new contract with a current team would just be an extension.

Hopkins was still under contract for another five years at the time he signed his contract. That should be considered when talking about average salary per season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ok but he doesn't even get to those 2 extension years for another 2 seasons. Hes still on his old deal thru 2022...so he's not getting 27 m per until 2023 and 2024. But the signing bonus he received on the extension was spread out over the 2020 thru 2024 seasons for cap purposes

So I'm not sure how you conclude he got 27 m per last season or this season or next season

Further the cardinals can release Hopkins following the 2022 season and have only paid him 60 million over 3 years

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopkins was still under contract for another five years at the time he signed his contract. That should be considered when talking about average salary per season.

If we're doing that then literally no re-signed player ever should be considered as a new deal. So, keeping that in mind, what's Rodgers' average per year at QB for the Packers since he's apparently only ever been on one deal?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok but he doesn't even get to those 2 extension years for another 2 seasons. Hes still on his old deal thru 2022...so he's not getting 27 m per until 2023 and 2024. But the signing bonus he received on the extension was spread out over the 2020 thru 2024 seasons for cap purposes

So I'm not sure how you conclude he got 27 m per last season or this season or next season

Further the cardinals can release Hopkins following the 2022 season and have only paid him 60 million over 3 years

I'm just telling you what other receivers see when they're looking at their contracts. Hopkins signed a new deal and that new deal was for two years and $54m. It's a ridiculous number compared to any other receiver but I guarantee other receivers are using that number as leverage for their new contracts.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it the most recent blockbuster deal (new contract or extension) was Hopkins 2 year 54 million dollar deal which makes it a 27 million dollar a year average. That's the number players and agents are going to be looking at. however, his full current contract, which includes the extension, is 5 years 94 million, which make it a 19 million dollar a year average. That's the number team will be looking at. I think it's six of one half a dozen of the other how you want to look at it Personally I think the Hopkins deal is an outlier. Even if you consider the extension to be the latest deal to set the bar I think it is unrealistic. IMO the target that should be aimed at is Julio Jones's 22 million per year and I honestly think if the Packers could hit that Adams would stay. I do think someone will give him that much and given the inevitable increases in contracts I think he deserves it. In another two years when Metcalf or Brown get theirs they will probably make more. Whether any WR is worth that much is a matter of opinion and doesn't really have anything to do with whether it will happen or not. It's just the way things go. Now that the Rodgers situation has more clarity it would not surprise me if talks between Adams and the Packers picked up again. I still haven't seen any numbers for Rodgers so its hard to say what they gained in cap space for this year or what they may have lost for next year

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it the most recent blockbuster deal (new contract or extension) was Hopkins 2 year 54 million dollar deal which makes it a 27 million dollar a year average. That's the number players and agents are going to be looking at. however, his full current contract, which includes the extension, is 5 years 94 million, which make it a 19 million dollar a year average. That's the number team will be looking at. I think it's six of one half a dozen of the other how you want to look at it Personally I think the Hopkins deal is an outlier. Even if you consider the extension to be the latest deal to set the bar I think it is unrealistic. IMO the target that should be aimed at is Julio Jones's 22 million per year and I honestly think if the Packers could hit that Adams would stay. I do think someone will give him that much and given the inevitable increases in contracts I think he deserves it. In another two years when Metcalf or Brown get theirs they will probably make more. Whether any WR is worth that much is a matter of opinion and doesn't really have anything to do with whether it will happen or not. It's just the way things go. Now that the Rodgers situation has more clarity it would not surprise me if talks between Adams and the Packers picked up again. I still haven't seen any numbers for Rodgers so its hard to say what they gained in cap space for this year or what they may have lost for next year

Yeah I thinking between 20 and 23 million per year in the end

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Could be on the lower end with more guarantees. Depends on how big his ego is.

I don't think ot depends on how big his ego is I mean once again he's trading his time for money and I think anytime you do that you wanna get as much money as you can...

Kenny golladay just got 4 years 72 million 40 million guaranteed

That's 18 m per, it would have been interesting to see what Allen Robinson got but unfortunately he's on the franchise tag.
Julio Jones got 3 years 66 million 64 million guaranteed according to sportrac...if correct... I'd say this is the deal Adams representatives will insist on beating

So yeah 23 million per is probably right on target. 4 year deal at 23 m per 92 m total

The guaranteed part is where ot gets tricky 64 m fir Jones is a huge number. That's gonna complicate things with adams I think

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think ot depends on how big his ego is I mean once again he's trading his time for money and I think anytime you do that you wanna get as much money as you can...

Kenny golladay just got 4 years 72 million 40 million guaranteed

That's 18 m per, it would have been interesting to see what Allen Robinson got but unfortunately he's on the franchise tag.
Julio Jones got 3 years 66 million 64 million guaranteed according to sportrac...if correct... I'd say this is the deal Adams representatives will insist on beating

So yeah 23 million per is probably right on target. 4 year deal at 23 m per 92 m total

The guaranteed part is where ot gets tricky 64 m fir Jones is a huge number. That's gonna complicate things with adams I think

What I meant about the ego thing is will he trade a smaller average salary for more guarantees or will his ego demand he be the highest paid which seems to be what most people judge by the average yearly salary. The difference between 20 million and 23 million per year isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things but if the 23 million means he's looking at the last two years as either a cap casualty or a renegotiation he may accept a contract that makes it more likely he does play it out. Will he rather have 4 years 23 million with 40 million guaranteed or 4 years at 20/21 million with 50 million guaranteed, or will he want 4 years 23 million with 60 guaranteed? The first will give him bragging rights, depending on you you view Hopkins' deal. The second will give him more guaranteed money and the third will give him both. What will his ego demand?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I meant about the ego thing is will he trade a smaller average salary for more guarantees or will his ego demand he be the highest paid which seems to be what most people judge by the average yearly salary. The difference between 20 million and 23 million per year isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things but if the 23 million means he's looking at the last two years as either a cap casualty or a renegotiation he may accept a contract that makes it more likely he does play it out. Will he rather have 4 years 23 million with 40 million guaranteed or 4 years at 20/21 million with 50 million guaranteed, or will he want 4 years 23 million with 60 guaranteed? The first will give him bragging rights, depending on you you view Hopkins' deal. The second will give him more guaranteed money and the third will give him both. What will his ego demand?

I think his agent will want to top Julio Jones in both avg per year and guaranteed money...I'm not sure its always the players ego that comes into play here. The agents are probably just as ego driven if not more so. Plus if Adams is pretty much the consensus top wr in the NFL and his agent doesn't get top dollar for him...that looks bad on the agent I think and could cause that agent to lose out on future buisness

D

Deleted member 6794

If we're doing that then literally no re-signed player ever should be considered as a new deal. So, keeping that in mind, what's Rodgers' average per year at QB for the Packers since he's apparently only ever been on one deal?

In my opinion it makes most sense to look at the remaining years of a player's contract once an extension is signed to figure out the average salary per year.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just telling you what other receivers see when they're looking at their contracts. Hopkins signed a new deal and that new deal was for two years and $54m. It's a ridiculous number compared to any other receiver but I guarantee other receivers are using that number as leverage for their new contracts.

No I get that...which is exactly why adams and the Packers are having trouble agreeing...but I'm sorry I want adams to get paid I just can't go against the facts. Which are Hopkins gets less than 20 million per.

If the players agent wants to argue that Hopkins gets 27 m per that's fine. I'd say yeah ok he does in 2023 and 2024 only issue is what if they cut him after the 2022 season...so he'll never see that 27 m per

And that also means Hopkins is only getting 13.3 million per year this season and next. So if adams wants a 4 year deal...with 13.3 per for the first 2 years and 27 m per for the final 2 years of the deal that'll work

That's roughly 4 years 81 million although I'd be willing to actually make him highest paid wr above Julio jones' 22 m per at 23 m per

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I could see a 5 year extension. Guarantee this year plus the next 3 at $15, $20, $25m each and 2 years at about $27m with escalators. This year and $60m guaranteed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts