Sydney on Ted

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:D Sydney Speaks! A take on Ted Thompson, scouts

Ted Thompson By Harry Sydney
Date: Jun 28, 2005

In recent weeks, I've written about the players, the head coach and his coordinators. Now it's time to write about the new GM Ted Thompson and his scouts!

General Manager
I've known Ted Thompson since 1992 when I played in Green Bay under Mike Holmgren and Ron Wolf. Thompson

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harry has some very interesting thoughts. He has hit some right on the head and others are way out of bounds. I believe he's right when talking about free agents. I'm not sure what to think about this draft. The guys they drafted by and large are quick, but can they play the game? The past few drafts haven't been very good so I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in their hands.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of what Sydney has said.

Another thing is that a lot of people are putting all their egss in Jim Bates' basket.

If Bates' defense doesn't show up in 2005, the sh#t will hit the fan in Green Bay.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one of the most confusing articles I've read in awhile. It looks like he was making things up as he went along. He begins by saying that Thompson is a "great fit" for the Packers and then speculates about how things could go wrong. This guy's got all his bases covered.

OP
OP
S

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gregg I have to agree. I didnt say I liked sydneys articles, I just post them from the sight. The guy is way to negitive for me. Im not trying to look through rose covered glasses either, but he basically writes doom and gloom.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean for this to sound harsh/condescending, but if you guys want to read watered down articles about how Carroll or Terrell Buckley are still showing promise, then go to Packers.com. Yeah, he's really negative, but I like to read his article because it's so blunt and honest which you don't hear from many other sources.

Steelwheels...You raise an excellent point. I, along w/ EVRYONE am pulling for, and trusting Bates to work miracles...but man does he have some expectations to produce right out of the gates!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels again is wrong.If Bates does not turn it around,which he without a doubt will,the Packers will be fine.Steel Wheels must have spent the last few years sitting in his closet with his Favre Jersey on playing with his Ahman Green Bobblehead.

Newsflash idiot........We won the division WITH Slowick and Donatell! If you think Slowick is an upgrade over Bates you are AS ignorant as it appears.

Obviously we have no place to go with our Defense but up and we have brought in one of the finest coaches to lead them.

We have found a way to turnover our staff and players while still being the best in our division.The Bears,ViQueens and Lions suffer from down years all the time.As a Packer Fan winning the division and losing in the first round is a down year.It just shows our commitment to excellence.The Bears would love to just have a shot at it in November.

Just the difference between a franchise that will not settle for Mediocre and a few Franchises that will.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that Harry wants desperately to be a Packer insider again. Problem is, his thinking is a bit off the mark.

First he talks about all the positives of TT. Then proceeds to subtlely say picking Aaron Rodgers was a flop.

I think he's the 'source' so many of these 'insiders' are using, and I think they better find another source.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One man's ramble. Obviously Sydney believes "heart" trumps "speed" when analyzing a draft pick. Whatever.

I disagree, however, with his comments about the Rodgers pick. Wished he would have explained why he believes TT's explanation--that Rodgers was the best available--was and still is a joke.

IMO the Packers had a surprise opportunity to select a 1st round QB and they took it. Is way too soon to call it a foolish pick. Rest assured that, had the Packers passed on Rodgers and then Favre called its quits, Sydney would be all over TT like white on rice.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
This is one of the most confusing articles I've read in awhile. It looks like he was making things up as he went along. He begins by saying that Thompson is a "great fit" for the Packers and then speculates about how things could go wrong. This guy's got all his bases covered.
Greg -
If you follow PackersNews at all - then you'd see that Sydney is all about keeping his glass half-empty - or as my Boss says - "there is no glass" --- this isn't the first time Harry Sydney has writen articles like this and it won't be the last. He's one of the most negative Writers out there for the Packers - you almost get the impression that no one will hire him down in Chiago.... but he's still tryin'.... I tend to gravitate more towards Chris Havel for some realism with Packers articles.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Newsflash idiot........We won the division WITH Slowick and Donatell! If you think Slowick is an upgrade over Bates you are AS ignorant as it appears.

Obviously we have no place to go with our Defense but up and we have brought in one of the finest coaches to lead them.

We have found a way to turnover our staff and players while still being the best in our division.The Bears,ViQueens and Lions suffer from down years all the time.As a Packer Fan winning the division and losing in the first round is a down year.It just shows our commitment to excellence.The Bears would love to just have a shot at it in November.

Just the difference between a franchise that will not settle for Mediocre and a few Franchises that will.

I agree with you. The defense has nowhere to go but up and we brought a man in with a proven record of being able to do that. His system will not produce a top 5 defense in the NFL with the players he has, but an improvement will definitely happen, giving GB another shot at the NFC North and another playoff run.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
His system will not produce a top 5 defense in the NFL with the players he has, but an improvement will definitely happen...
I think we're denigrating the new Defense - scheme and all - waaay too early.
I'd rather sit back - drink a few Leinies - and watch what happens next.
My take - is that Bates is very much like Shurmur - You watch!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he is like Shurmur Prez, I'm just looking at this like taking this defense and moving it to the middle of the pack or even in the top third would be an unreal job and I hope it happens.

I'm not denigrating the defense though. Just looking at some of the other clubs out there with the defenses they already have. Ravens, Patriots, Redskins, Broncos, Panthers, etc. (those are all pretty darn good defenses).

If Bates produces a top 5 defense with this bunch of players, I'll be the happiest man alive because I think it will mean another trip to the SB for the Packers!!!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody was as brillant as Shurmur because he designed the defense to maximize the players he had at the time. Shurmur was flexible. Bates scheme appears to keep things basic and force the other team to beat you. he picks his spots for a fancy blitz.

As to the article, Rogers could be sitting around for 4 years sucking up cap space with no productive contribution on the field. Valid point.

What was not mentioned is the Packer propensity for stupid players. He did not mention Wonderlic scores and why the Packers have been signing retards. Example Marshall-fast, strong, and stupid. Washington, Barry, Collins, Walker etc it is a long list. The Wonderlic is a very easy test.

The Patriots have the highest team average in Wonderlic scores. Corrolation? Miamia was successful for many years because Don Shula did not want stupid players. Wonderlic matters. Discipline matters.

As to Ted no one forces him to do anything. He is patient and deliberate. Some say slow. No draft day panic. He let Ruegamer "twist in the wind" a bit. He will do the same with Sherman and he holds the cards against Rosenhaus when it comes to Walker.

Rosenhaus is due for a fall and the Walker situation is a big trap. Ted Thompson uses time to his advantage in these situations.

As to the scouting department I think there is some change needed. Perhaps if the Packer scouting department was more racially mixed they might not overlook some guys with better Wonderlic scores. (Just an idea so no liberal mind control screaming please)

On the whole the article lacked specificity which all politicians and brown nosers avoid. You know the old saying the devil is in the details.

Andrew Brandt sure dosen't get to talk to the press like he has in the past.

On the whole I think criticism of the Packers is like getting upset at a B+ on a report card. The standards are high and we expects "A's" across the board all the time.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stump5454 said:
Im not trying to look through rose covered glasses either, but he basically writes doom and gloom.

With Mike Sherman in Green Bay what else can he write...

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
His system will not produce a top 5 defense in the NFL with the players he has, but an improvement will definitely happen, giving GB another shot at the NFC North and another playoff run.

The Packers haven't had a playoff run since 96 and 97, unless you want to count going out in the 1st or 2nd round.

Packers lost 2 wildcard playoff games @ Lambeau 2 out of last 3 seasons.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new guy calling the shots can help but you still have to have the players. I just don't see any improvement player wise to this defense. They better be pretty inspired or it can get ugly. There are going to be some very good offensive players in the division alone for them to contain this year not to mention the rest of the schedule.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts