suspensions versus fines

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okay, I watched the andre johnson/finnegan brawl. Goodell fines them each 25k? Ahh helmets were off and fists were flying. Lets contrast that with Nick Collins being fined. To me - there is no comparison. The fists flying should resulted in a more punitive course of action. Thoughts?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, but the nfl is thinking more about concussions than black eyes. If Andre would have landed that upper cut I think he would have been docked a game.

The nfl really dropped the ball on this

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fights should be automatic suspension and fine..

For the most part you can walk away or not engage in a fight

Tackling is such a fast action sometimes hard to avoid helmet to helmet hits

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I see a lot of gray area here. In terms of the helmet to helmet fines and suspensions, the NFL really needs to be clear, concise and consistent in rendering judgments, otherwise they open the field for argument. However the johnson/finnegan fines were the result of a different infraction than Collins's fine. That doesn't fall under the helmet to helmet rule, I suppose the league has different parameters for brawling. Those two should just be glad they didn't rack up a suspension each. Had they league wanted to play hardball and go all ****, they both would be sitting on their sofas watching their respected teams play without them this week.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fines don't hurt a rich guy, suspensions hurt the team. In this case I favor suspensions, you decide.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As a retired accountant, I had not thought of this before. Fines imposed on the players by the NFL are tax deductible . Therefore, in theory, the fans are paying part of the fine.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why was Finnegan fined?

He never threw a punch..

Johnson threw 3 and connected on all 3..Shouldnt he have been fined more?

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure that the punishments would have been a little different if Andre Johnson and the Texans weren't playing a huge game on the NFL network this thursday. people might be less likely to tune in if one of the league's best players was sitting out

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fines? Suspensions?

It's my opinion these actions warrant assault charges. Anytime you take off your helmet on the playing field it's a penalty. Anytime you rip off an opponent's helmet it's a personal foul and expulsion from the game.

When you punch a person in the head with your fists it's criminal assault.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure that the punishments would have been a little different if Andre Johnson and the Texans weren't playing a huge game on the NFL network this thursday. people might be less likely to tune in if one of the league's best players was sitting out

I smell a conflict of interest here. The National Football League owns the NFL network....perhaps that is why no suspensions?

Members online

Latest posts