Surprise Starters

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why I clicked on the link to this article: https://nflspinzone.com/2017/07/05/green-bay-packers-predicting-5-surprise-starters-2017/

However, I wanted to know which five players they thought would start this year. They were:
5. Kyle Murphy
4. Kyler Fackrell
3. Aaron Jones
2. Dean Lowry
1. Geronimo Allison

Pretty good list. I think that Spriggs will continue to improve despite what the author thinks. He also didn't mention anybody in our secondary such as King or Josh Jones. Any other surprises out there that you all see?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why I clicked on the link to this article: https://nflspinzone.com/2017/07/05/green-bay-packers-predicting-5-surprise-starters-2017/

However, I wanted to know which five players they thought would start this year. They were:
5. Kyle Murphy
4. Kyler Fackrell
3. Aaron Jones
2. Dean Lowry
1. Geronimo Allison

Pretty good list. I think that Spriggs will continue to improve despite what the author thinks. He also didn't mention anybody in our secondary such as King or Josh Jones. Any other surprises out there that you all see?
If King starts, that would not be too big of a surprise.

Jones would have to replace Haha or Bennet. Not very likely, although he could be in the slot or ILB

Aaron Jones would be my pick. He has the tools, but is raw. If he really focuses on learning blocking and blitz pick up, he could be the man

D

Deleted member 6794

There are only a few spots available for a potential surprise starter either on the defensive line, at inside linebacker and possibly perimeter cornerback. If I had to take a guess mine would either be on Jordan Tripp or Cody Heiman.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd be surprised if any of those 5 were starters day 1.

barring preseason injury i think the starters are probably set. area that a mild surprise might occur...secondary.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no way barring injury anyone but ty montgomery starts at running back. as a running back prospect he has elite measurables and size. 4.50 40 at proday, 40.5 in vertical, 6.97 3 cone, 121 in broad jump, 4.21 20 yard shuttle. at 6'0 and 221 pounds with 10 1/8 in hands and 31 in arms hes prototypical star running back size. if you were weird sciencing a rb youd create 88. i see a chance for playing time on 3rd down for aaron jones if he can pass block because hes nearly as good as montgomery as a reciever and 88 is struggling to block right now. i also see a opportunity for williams, mays, or stanback to get some carries as the number 2 back. but i dont think tt would have let lacy walk if he wasnt supremely confident in 88. bottom line the things mm can do with 88 at rb because of his ability to be a wr are limitless. with bennett and montgomery in the game the defense will not be able to avoid having mismatches in multiple spots on the field

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Interesting list. I would love to see Dean Lowry steppings up, because pass rush is a big concern for me at this point. Is it crazy I am more worried about pass rush then secondary? Feel free to call me out.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting list. I would love to see Dean Lowry steppings up, because pass rush is a big concern for me at this point. Is it crazy I am more worried about pass rush then secondary? Feel free to call me out.

Since the two kind of go hand in hand, it isn't crazy, especially if you view what the defense did/didn't do last year. However, keep in mind that if you are grading the defense purely on "sacks", last year the Packers had 40, which ranked 6th in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers has proved time and again, if he can get enough time, he will find someone open, no matter who is covering the receivers. However, if the coverage is tight and the pass rush is quick, even the great AR throws the ball away. While I would love a beast of a pass rush, which would no doubt help to improve the stats of the secondary, you still need to have guys that can cover quick slants/routes and be assignment sure, we didn't have that last year, despite the 40 sacks.

Reaction score
Yes! Another chance for me to push my "more than 22 starters" agenda!

With the number of sub-packages we use and rotational personnel groupings, and given the fact that we use them so freaking often that there's actually a name for not using them, I still attest that the metric of "who has their name on a sheet at the start of the year" is a terrible way of looking at who is and who is not a starter. It would be better to determine a baseline snap count per each of our primary packages and groupings, and determine who is used on a majority of those snaps. Thus, we could easily name 24-28 starters overall on offense and defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no way barring injury anyone but ty montgomery starts at running back. as a running back prospect he has elite measurables and size. 4.50 40 at proday, 40.5 in vertical, 6.97 3 cone, 121 in broad jump, 4.21 20 yard shuttle. at 6'0 and 221 pounds with 10 1/8 in hands and 31 in arms hes prototypical star running back size. if you were weird sciencing a rb youd create 88. i see a chance for playing time on 3rd down for aaron jones if he can pass block because hes nearly as good as montgomery as a reciever and 88 is struggling to block right now. i also see a opportunity for williams, mays, or stanback to get some carries as the number 2 back. but i dont think tt would have let lacy walk if he wasnt supremely confident in 88. bottom line the things mm can do with 88 at rb because of his ability to be a wr are limitless. with bennett and montgomery in the game the defense will not be able to avoid having mismatches in multiple spots on the field
Pass blocking appears to be high on the list of attributes MM looks for in a RB. If Williams can continue to block well in pass pro, I don't think it will be too surprising that he will pass Ty on the depth chart. Already he has taken away significant number of snaps from Ty with the #1s. I am thinking at this point, that Jamaal will get more snaps during the season opener at RB than Ty. I have heard nothing but good things about Jamaal - his play on the field as well as he is a very likable guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

no way barring injury anyone but ty montgomery starts at running back.

The Packers coaching staff puts a premium on runnibg backs being able to pass protection. If Montgomery doesn't improve in that area it's highly possible Williams moves ahead of him on the depth chart.

I don't think that's crazy at all as the pass rush is definitely an area of concern entering this season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Clark and Lowry playing well would improve the production of the entire defense and get opponents in more 3 and out situations.

Members online

Latest posts