Super Bowl XXXI Celebration: Brett Favre

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
In Favre They Trust: Quarterback Leads Team To Best Finish In 30 Seasons
by Nathan Hager, Packers.com
posted 07/29/2006
[align=right]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/align]

Brett Favre

Front Office/Bob Harlan

# Player Pos
82 Beebe, Don WR
34 Bennett, Edgar RB
87 Brooks, Robert WR
93 Brown, Gilbert DT
36 Butler, LeRoy S
89 Chmura, Mark TE
54 Cox, Ron LB
67 Dellenbach, Jeff C
72 Dotson, Earl T
71 Dotson, Santana DT
33 Evans, Doug CB
4 Favre, Brett QB
86 Freeman, Antonio WR
55 Harris, Bernardo LB
40 Hayes, Chris S
30 Henderson, William FB
17 Hentrich, Craig P
90 Holland, Darius DT
56 Hollinquest, Lamont LB
81 Howard, Desmond WR/KR
13 Jacke, Chris K
88 Jackson, Keith TE
32 Jervey, Travis RB
96 Jones, Sean DE
53 Koonce, George LB
65 Knapp, Lindsay G
94 Kuberski, Bob DT
25 Levens, Dorsey RB
80 Mayes, Derrick WR
95 McKenzie, Keith DE/LB
9 McMahon, Jim QB
77 Michels, John T
85 Mickens, Terry WR
28 Mullen, Roderick CB/S
21 Newsome, Craig CB
18 Pederson, Doug QB
39 Prior, Mike S
84 Rison, Andre WR
62 Rivera, Marco G
41 Robinson, Eugene S
75 Ruettgers, Ken T
59 Simmons, Wayne LB
73 Taylor, Aaron G
83 Thomason, Jeff TE
63 Timmerman, Adam G
92 White, Reggie DE
64 Wilkerson, Bruce T
98 Wilkins, Gabe DE
51 Williams, Brian LB
37 Williams, Tyrone CB
52 Winters, Frank C
Other Contributors
Practice Squad/Bill Schroeder
Injured Reserve/Mike Flanagan
Mike Holmgren
Offensive Coaches
Defensive Coaches
Special Teams Coaches
Strength Coaches
Ron Wolf

As part of the Green Bay Packers' celebration of the 10th anniversary season of the Super Bowl XXXI Championship, Packers.com is running a series of stories about the people responsible for bringing the Vince Lombardi trophy back home to Titletown.

Three-time MVP. Eight Pro Bowls. 52,615 passing yards. 4,678 completions. 396 touchdowns. 139 regular season wins.

In case you were wondering, the aforementioned numbers all belong to Brett Favre. Spectacular accomplishments to be sure, but anyone who has watched the legendary quarterback play -- even for five minutes -- understands that the most important, if not most impressive, feat of his career is the Super Bowl XXXI victory.

Of course, you'd need a dump truck to carry around all of Brett Favre's awards and accomplishments throughout his 15-year career, but make no mistake about it, bringing the Vince Lombardi trophy back to Green Bay had been his primary goal since he first donned the Green and Gold in 1992.

In fact, Favre has spent his whole career focusing so ******* winning it all that even he admits he doesn't know where the time has gone since that Jan. 26, 1997, evening.

"You know what I honestly think?" he said. "Damn, that was a long time ago, but it doesn't seem like that long ago. How quickly time goes by. I mean, it's been 10 years. I know that's a long time in some respects, but it seems like it was yesterday. And over those 10 years, I think about the changes that have occurred.

"You know, you lose Reggie (White), you keep in touch with some guys and lose touch with others. I think about all the guys I've played with in those 10 years. I'm still standing here in this locker room and most of those guys are gone now, but those memories will be there for a long time. I'm thankful of how far I've gone, but it's kind of an eye-opener to think about. It doesn't seem like 10 years."

Making the game even more special for Favre was the fact that it was played in the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, a short distance from his hometown of Kiln, Miss. But beyond the win, and beyond being surrounded in the company of family and friends, Favre topped his day off with another spectacular performance.

It's safe to say that expectations were high for the Packers and their 6-foot-2, 225-pound gunslinger entering the game, but it didn't take very long to realize what kind of day Favre and his teammates were in for. He passed for 246 yards, connecting on 14 of 27 attempts, with two touchdown passes and a rushing touchdown.

It certainly was an impressive day overall, but according to Favre, his first pass of the game was his favorite. It also turned out to be a tone-setter and gave the Packers the early momentum boost, as Favre found wide receiver Andre Rison down the sideline for a 54-yard bomb that gave the Packers a quick 7-0 lead with 11:28 left in the quarter.

At that very moment, it was the epitome of everything Brett Favre stood for as a football player: great play call at the line of scrimmage, beautiful throw, and then a celebration that symbolized exactly how much the game he grew up playing as a young boy still meant to him.

Favre immediately removed his helmet, clutched it above his head and ran down the sideline like a kid who had waited his whole life for that very moment. It certainly was a time that Packers fans will never forget, and it meant just as much to Favre.

"Probably throwing the touchdown pass to Andre, the first one," Favre said when asked what his favorite memory of the game was. "The one to Antonio was awesome, too, and was a record for a long time. But with Andre, here we are in the Super Bowl and I audible to this play ... It was everything you dream of, and it worked on top of that, so that's probably my fondest memory."

The aforementioned pass to Antonio Freeman was an 81-yard touchdown completion in the second quarter. It gave the Packers a 17-14 lead and was a Super Bowl record until Carolina's Jake Delhomme hooked up with Muhsin Muhammad in Super Bowl XXXVIII for an 85-yard touchdown pass.

Favre has continued to rewrite the history book as he has set almost every passing record in Packers' annals and is closing in on several of Dan Marino's NFL records, including touchdown passes and passing yards.

Brett Favre According to Favre, it's always been about winning and having fun, not setting records. His 221 consecutive starts make it easy to believe him when he says that he's always played for his teammates and given everything he's had in the name of victory.

However, it's the memories with those teammates that make Favre, 36, feel a little old.

"You know you're getting old when some of the guys you played with are now coaching," he said, referring to running backs coach Edgar Bennett (1992-96) and assistant offensive line coach James Campen (1992-93).

Favre primarily keeps in touch with former center and longtime roommate Frank Winters and is also close with Doug Pederson, now the head football coach at Calvary Baptist Academy in Shreveport, La. He also had remained in touch with Reggie White and even spoke to White during the week prior to his death.

As Favre mentioned, a few things have changed since the Super Bowl win 10 seasons ago. He possesses more records, has played in several games since, and most of his teammates have moved on or retired.

However, there is one thing that still remains the same.

Favre was the leader of a team that will undoubtedly go down in Packers history as one of the best ever, and in such a storied franchise, that just might be all you need to know to understand his legacy.[align=center]
[/align]

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:
Flanny was on the injured reserve during the SB, poor guy

Robert Brooks too.

Robert Brooks was still the most talented WR I think Green Bay had. It's a shame that injuries really slowed him down too the point fo retirement. :cry:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:
Flanny was on the injured reserve during the SB, poor guy

Robert Brooks too.

Robert Brooks was still the most talented WR I think Green Bay had. It's a shame that injuries really slowed him down too the point fo retirement. :cry:

During that season, perhaps although I think Andra Rison was the most talented WR we had that year.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure doesn't seem that long ago. I won $350 dollars during that game at half time by rolling and signing in at the club,haven't done it since then either...

Members online