Studs n duds Rams

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

lambeaulambo - for not listening to Buck/Aikman and instead switching over to the Mannings.

4th Quarter offense - started humming when the D started to wear down.

Tom - has come in and been serviceable, saw a couple of great blocks in this game

Duds:

TE group other than tugboat - Invisible is an understatement

Kick coverage - still not up to par

All in all, the defense played pretty well despite some of the zone calls made by Barry, who is as good as gone. No saving his job and Leonhard is out there for the taking.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: Defense and Return game

Duds: Nobody

Dud-ish: Offense never felt like they hit their stride all night. Rodgers on the INT. Special teams coverage.
Stud defense??? Lol, you should have seen the game thread. You'd have thought we had Arizona's defense.

For those of you that have been saying things like we have the most embarrassing defense in the league, I think you need to check out the points per possession they're giving up compared to the rest of the league as well as comparing it to the last five seasons to lend some perspective. I have no idea what those numbers would say but I'm guessing this season has been very close to average league-wide and close to the median for our past seasons.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud defense??? Lol, you should have seen the game thread. You'd have thought we had Arizona's defense.

For those of you that have been saying things like we have the most embarrassing defense in the league, I think you need to check out the points per possession they're giving up compared to the rest of the league as well as comparing it to the last five seasons to lend some perspective. I have no idea what those numbers would say but I'm guessing this season has been very close to average league-wide and close to the median for our past seasons.
They kept an NFL offense under or around I forget which it was 200 yards...and to 12 points...for this Defense the last 10 years...that's basically a shut out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not stud, but let's acknowledge Deguara and Davis all night were setting up plays very well. For once I wasn't getting mad at Davis for being out there like normal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah they limited a very limited offense. Nice, but I’m not making more of it than need be. We obviously have the players to be good. I mean, we absolutely shut down plays. But then seem to just give up the easiest of easy plays to extend downs or get points. A good team last night? I'm not feeling so confident. They had make shift oline, 2 week old journeyman QB a good RB and i'm not sure who they had at WR. It wasn't exactly an insurmountable task.

The way we give up so many big plays with absolutely zero challenge is frustrating and leaves a bad taste. Those 3rd and 17 easy completions and 3rd and 16 easy completions and letting a guy just run down to the endzone, turn around in front of all the defenders and catch an easy pass not eve touched or challenged in any capacity start to stand out more than the plays they win. at some point it's, who cares about 1st and 2nd down domination when 3rd and 17 seems so easy 3 out of 4 times?

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah they limited a very limited offense. Nice, but I’m not making more of it than need be. We obviously have the players to be good. I mean, we absolutely shut down plays. But then seem to just give up the easiest of easy plays to extend downs or get points. A good team last night? I'm not feeling so confident. They had make shift oline, 2 week old journeyman QB a good RB and i'm not sure who they had at WR. It wasn't exactly an insurmountable task.

The way we give up so many big plays with absolutely zero challenge is frustrating and leaves a bad taste. Those 3rd and 17 easy completions and 3rd and 16 easy completions and letting a guy just run down to the endzone, turn around in front of all the defenders and catch an easy pass not eve touched or challenged in any capacity start to stand out more than the plays they win. at some point it's, who cares about 1st and 2nd down domination when 3rd and 17 seems so easy 3 out of 4 times?
Definitely some things to feel good about last night, but with the Rams offense in its current state, we should have flat out stomped them. The defense playing so far off and consistently failing on 3rd and long to me are the things that will continue to make it difficult for us to beat a quality team, or even a middle of the road team for that matter.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Refs were off tonight.
Especially that one who did not see Jaire get pushed into the knees of the Ram. That ref just did not do a good job and it looked like the head ref was constantly questioning his calls.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of the interception, which was a terrible overthrow, Rodgers didn't have many bad passes. He had only eight incompletions on 30 attempts.
I'm glad to see you called this an overthrow. I don't know what in hell Aikman was talking about. Throw the ball where Lazard will be covered or throw the ball right to him? Not much of a choice.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I feel for our defensive players who have to endure the soft zone Barry continues to call on 3rd and long...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though we had some sacks; It looked like Mayfield had plenty of time most of the time and so our pass rushing is suspect to me. If we give Tua that much time; he will complete a lot of passes.
Douglas has not looked as good this year as last to me. In fact he does not look good to me. Is he being played out of position this year or is the scheme not good for his ball hawking skills?
Doubs looked very good.
I could not believe we didn't kick the field goal towards the end. Go up by 15.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to see Toure in the mix too. There appears to be quite a lot of WR potential in our near future.
And I hate to say because he has done pretty well, but I kind of cringe when Cobb is in there. Not because of him but because ARod seems to focus on him and throws it to him even when he is covered.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad to see you called this an overthrow. I don't know what in hell Aikman was talking about. Throw the ball where Lazard will be covered or throw the ball right to him? Not much of a choice
Because you throw the ball to where they are running on that route. Later in the game you saw a route by Watson down the seam, stop hard and come back for the ball. That's a route. This run hard to the endzone then kind of half *** it, isn't. Get to where you need to be. This wasn't a dig route like Cobb had later in the game going deeper middle and you set down between defenders. This was a post route. Not sure when it's appropriate for a WR to stop and sit in a zone on that route considering the ball was thrown already when Lazard decided to quit the route.

You have 2 HOF QB's seeing a play one way, and then how you see it. Who's likely correct? Go check out highlight reels from every top QB in the league and see how many times they will put a ball up for their receiver against 1 defender? If Lazard runs his route, the safety doesn't get to just run under the ball, he has to play a man and likely try and go thru him to make a play on the ball.

Rodgers decides to throw it short to a spot and Lazard actually runs his route and everyone is calling it an underthrow.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers threw that ball into coverage. Another of his jump balls? He had plenty of time to throw the ball right to Lazard who was wide open. I hate to break it to you but sometimes a QB throws the ball to the receiver. These are all just excuses. But I agree that Rodgers seems to prefer to throw to a spot, even when it is covered.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers threw that ball into coverage. Another of his jump balls? He had plenty of time to throw the ball right to Lazard who was wide open. I hate to break it to you but sometimes a QB throws the ball to the receiver. These are all just excuses. But I agree that Rodgers seems to prefer to throw to a spot, even when it is covered.
THEY ALL DO. Go watch Mahomes, go watch the current MVP candidates in him or Jalen Hurts, watch any of them and see how many times the coverage is tight or they're throwing it into defenders downfield and letting their guy go make the play.

If Rodgers over threw or not, Lazard should not have stopped that particular route IMO, and if he kept running it, it's likely "on him" like it should have been. Maybe Rodgers was wrong. But I don't think it's normal or regular for a receiver running a post route to stop in a zone regardless of if it was a good or bad throw.

Call it a bad throw, worst that should have happened was incomplete pass. with Int certainly a possibility but nowhere near as easy. So was PI or a catch. we'll never know, because he stopped his route. and other times this year with defenders up field we've seen Lazard and others just keep on going and the ball lands 10 yards behind them.
The ball was already gone when Lazard decided to cut the route.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Nixon, Dilion, Jones, P-Smith, Engebarg

Duds Aaron Rodgers with questionable throws

Clown Rasul Douglas with the stupid lateral that could have ended in disaster
That lateral was brainless. Thought he was playing on the sandlot.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad to see you called this an overthrow. I don't know what in hell Aikman was talking about. Throw the ball where Lazard will be covered or throw the ball right to him? Not much of a choice.
I just never remember Peyton Manning ever being so out of sync with receivers on his roster. It was as if they knew and he knew exactly where the ball was going.

Reaction score
I don’t blame Rodgers for anticipating. That’s just what they are supposed to be doing. Yes he makes mistakes there, but not enough % to be a concern. Watson makes that catch on his Endzone blooper and it’s 31-12. Or if we don’t show mercy and be respectful on 1st n goal to end the game?

That score didn’t reflect the flow of that game. We played B- on Offense and still won by 2 scores with relative ease.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just never remember Peyton Manning ever being so out of sync with receivers on his roster. It was as if they knew and he knew exactly where the ball was going.
Kind of how it was with Driver, Jennings, Cobb, Jordy, Adams, J.Jones and now a budding connection with Doubs.
you probably don't remember because you didn't follow the colts, you saw highlights every week. But it's not hard to stay in synch when almost every single year in Indy you had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Pollard etc.

He had his guys when he was hitting his stride and posting 65+% completion percentages. Early on he was around 60%
Then he went to Denver and prior to be carried by defense he had Stokley, Decker and Thomas. Show me when he didn't miss passes with a steady rotation of rookies and a #2-3 level WR as his go to guys.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t blame Rodgers for anticipating. That’s just what they are supposed to be doing. Yes he makes mistakes there, but not enough % to be a concern. Watson makes that catch on his Endzone blooper and it’s 31-12. Or if we don’t show mercy and be respectful on 1st n goal to end the game?

That score didn’t reflect the flow of that game. We played B- on Offense and still won by 2 scores with relative ease.
Not so sure we run that play if circumstances were different. I.E. Different opponent, different quarter, different score, different defense, different point in the season. The Rams were toast at that moment. Turning it over on downs meant an inept offense would have to go 95 yards with no Timeouts and less than 2 minutes to go. And...still get it back with an onside kick and score again. So just run it and let's get the he'll outta here.

Members online

Latest posts