Sports Illustrated article on the porus defense

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1192447/index.htm

This was my argument back when we had the whole defense sucks

Teams with high-scoring offenses typically don't rank in the upper echelon in total defense because they surrender a lot of yards late in games, while the other team is playing catch-up—the Packers give up roughly 20% more yards in the fourth quarter than they do in any other.

The Saints won the Super Bowl two years ago with the league's highest-scoring offense and its 25th-ranked defense. The Colts won the title in '06 after tying for second in scoring and ranking 21st in total D. And the Patriots claimed their first Vince Lombardi Trophy while ranking sixth in scoring and 24th in total defense.

A statistic more connected with postseason success—even more than points allowed—is scoring differential (points scored minus points given up). Fifteen of the past 21 Super Bowl champions have finished first or second in that category. The Pack was second in 2010 and is No. 1 this year with an average differential of 14.3 points a game.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just checked up the league point differential stats. I was suprised to see Houston at the top of the AFC.

NFC------------PF / PA / Diff.
Packers --------382 / 227 / +155
New Orleans --362 / 252 / +110
San Francisco -262 / 161 / +101
Detroit ---------316 / 246 / +70
Chicago --------288 / 232 / +56
Dallas ----------270 / 225 / +45
Atlanta ---------259 / 227 / +32

AFC
Houston -------293 / 179 / +114
New England --331 / 223 / +108
Baltimore ------272 / 182 / +90
Pittsburgh -----233 / 188 / +45
Cincinnati -----259 / 215 / +44
New York ------256 / 241 / +15

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah so far the Texans have been kicking butt on defense. Wade has really turned things around, great DC and horrible HC. Texans had issues in New Orleans (but who doesn't on defense) but they have been good all around. They get a better test this weekend though with the Falcons offense but it's in Houston. Houston still may be able to win games with the rookie QB if they can play great D and run the ball effectively.

And yes I have noticed the Packers when they get the lead give up the yards more often at times in garbage time/prevent. Stats can be misleading at times for this D IMO.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston still may be able to win games with the rookie QB if they can play great D and run the ball effectively.
This is why I really like teams with big Ds and running games. They're not so QB dependent. If the QB goes down those pass first offenses are fracked.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
This is why I really like teams with big Ds and running games. They're not so QB dependent. If the QB goes down those pass first offenses are fracked.

I am sorta hoping Houston can suprise in the AFC and have a small Cinderella story that may even take attention away from the likes of Tim Tebow! I like the sound and swagger at times from the rookie QB from what I have heard. And he
still has Andre to throw to.....Hey he is a rookie but I am not convinced he can be worse then Leinart either. And as solid as Schaub can be at times he can also choke and I hate to say that.

I guess I sorta have a soft spot for the Texans as my little brothers of the AFC so to speak.

If any team in the AFC deserves some luck it is Houston.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True enough, but this has become a QB-centric league. Offenses like you've described don't win Super Bowls in this day and age. The 2000 Ravens were a lifetime ago.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
True enough, but this has become a QB-centric league. Offenses like you've described don't win Super Bowls in this day and age. The 2000 Ravens were a lifetime ago.

No they don't usually win a SB but they are also the sort of team that gives fits to a team like the Patriots for example in the AFC lately in the playoffs. A run heavy/defensive heavy team with a game managing QB not turning it over has beaten then 3 straight times in the postseason going back to the SB against the Giants.

For GB I am not sure I see a history of a certain style of team being a huge problem for them so far? Also the Packers offense to me has the most weapons and depth I have seen on an offense I think since the 2005 Colts who had Harrison/Wayne/Stokely and Clark all in the passing game, but behind those guys the depth was poor.

I still think the GB defense is going to be fine. I know they have had some issues but sometimes a D has to gel too. It's not a dramatically different set of guys on defense from last year is it? I also thought they looked solid enough at times vs. the Lions offense on the road.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the Patriots have been coming up against in the past is a defense that is too old and tired to perform well against effective ball control offenses after such a long season. They're gassed. The Patriots D of the past few years is not comparable to the Packers', in my opinion.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh... 2000 was yesterday. I don't buy that, bro.

But that's why we play the game. Ain't it great?!? :D

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Meh... 2000 was yesterday. I don't buy that, bro.

But that's why we play the game. Ain't it great?!? :D

Honest question. How do you feel about Saints at Niners in the divisional round if this game happens?

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honest question. How do you feel about Saints at Niners in the divisional round if this game happens?
I hope the weather is bad.

The Saints have a great passing AND running game. That could make them even tougher than the Packers. It all comes down to the 9er D. If the D can keep them from scoring more than 24 points, then the Niners will have a chance. But I'd say that's true of any team they play.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year's 49ers are the same story as last year's Falcons. And I didn't say 2000 was a lifetime ago. I said the 2000 Ravens were a lifetime ago.

Members online