Something special is happening...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Dynasty is something frankly, that is bestowed after the act. I doubt that any Packers fan, in 1962, was thinking DYNASTY! I doubt that any Steelers fan in the 70's after winning their first Super Bowl was yelling "DYNASTY"... same with the 9'ers in the 80's ... Cowbags in the 90's, nobody really in the 2000's .... it's sort of like the Congressional Medal of Valor ... always awarded AFTER the fact (and usually involves death).

You guys talk dynasty ... and I'll just sit here and hope they beat the Vikings on Monday. :)
Hey Weeds, not to be picky but as we close in on Veterans Day allow me to point out that it's the Medal of Honor and it's for:
"Conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States"
It is in fact more likely to be awarded posthumously but it is not overwhelmingly so and you are correct that it is always after the fact. There is a strict and thorough process by which individuals are suggested for and selected for all military decorations.
I don't mean to imply you're not sensitive to that fact, but real heroes of the United States should never be confused with heroes of the gridiron.
Might I suggest using the Nobel Prize? It's never awarded posthumously but always after the fact when the world can sit back and appreciate it's contribution as a whole?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'll go along with that, DD....you know though, nobody really gives a rat's *** about the Nobel Prize anymore...ironic that the Nobel Peace Prize is named after the guy who perfected the use of gun powder, isnt' it?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Might I suggest using the Nobel Prize? It's never awarded posthumously but always after the fact when the world can sit back and appreciate its contribution as a whole?
Unfortunately that's not true. A recent recipient of their "peace" prize did absolutely nothing to earn it save get elected and has done nothing to justify the award since. IMO it's been politicized to the point of irrelevance and that's why weeds is correct in my view: Few give a rat's behind about it.

As far as the designation of dynasty goes, it is "awarded" after the fact but that doesn't mean we can't say/post we see its beginnings again in Green Bay.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I can stand tall and be corrected when I'm wrong. Thanks Weeds and Jack for clearing it up. The prize isn't what it used to be. Still, one can hope for tradition's sake it returns to exalted status. The Nobel prize is named after Alfred Nobel who did indeed invent TNT but there are as many peaceful uses for it as destructive. The element Nobelium is named in his honor. The Lombardi is still what it was and the Pulitzer is still worthy.
As for the rat's circular exit reference one has to wonder where that came from. I recall a reference to a person's unsavory character as "he's likely to sell a rat's *** to a blind man as a wedding ring"
Agreed Jack in re: Dynasty. I'm thinking the Packers have already established the requisite success to proclaim them a dynasty well in advance of any further success.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'll go along with that, DD....you know though, nobody really gives a rat's *** about the Nobel Prize anymore...ironic that the Nobel Peace Prize is named after the guy who perfected the use of gun powder, isnt' it?
Actually he invented dynamite.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I can stand tall and be corrected when I'm wrong. Thanks Weeds and Jack for clearing it up. The prize isn't what it used to be. Still, one can hope for tradition's sake it returns to exalted status. The Nobel prize is named after Alfred Nobel who did indeed invent TNT but there are as many peaceful uses for it as destructive. The element Nobelium is named in his honor. The Lombardi is still what it was and the Pulitzer is still worthy.
As for the rat's circular exit reference one has to wonder where that came from. I recall a reference to a person's unsavory character as "he's likely to sell a rat's *** to a blind man as a wedding ring"
Agreed Jack in re: Dynasty. I'm thinking the Packers have already established the requisite success to proclaim them a dynasty well in advance of any further success.

You know something guys? I think we need to get lives. :) Good dialogue though. ;) Hahahaha...

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I got the feeling after the SB win that Steve Young was feeling a potential dynasty starting with the Packers. Just how he was talking to Rodgers and hinting at the idea.