So does this years 1 and 2 picks mean 2015 was a waste?

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im wondering if this is some admission that they screwed up picking Randall and Rollins...not feeling too good about what we are seeing here,,,,maybe nothing and having backups are great but hopefully you can get my point..

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced one of the picks from 2015 can play. Haven't figured out which one. Also both were forced to do heavy lifting that they weren't prepared for. This could be a coaching issue. I'm not saying both are great picks, I'm just saying I think one of the 2 might not be a bust.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, they looked promising in their rookie seasons. Could just be soph slumps mixed in with not being fully healthy. Last season was a weird one, all the cbs were injured at some point and forced a guy who was supposed to be 4th on the depth chart to take over the number 1 role. I'm expecting bounce back seasons and even wouldn't be surprised if secondary was a team strength next season.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why people keep saying this. Even if the rookies would have had good years we still would have had to replace Shields and Hyde. It means they are not stars but they are definitely not a waste yet.

It means there were not huge holes on this team outside certain spots on defense. The offense didn't have holes the staff deemed worthy of a pick before the late 4th and I agree with that. This team came in with the need for depth, talent, and athleticism in the secondary and it seems like they got that. They needed help at Olb and they may have waited too long in most people's mind although I was high on Biegel from the start. Loved his value in the middle rounds compared to what was available late first and in the second.

The defense got an influx of players who have the tools to help. Time to coach them up. Whitt has pieces to make a secondary now.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see this as Ted preparing to negotiate with Burnett and Dix from a position of strength next season. Might also see Burnett playing ILB full time.
I was thinking Burnett might take Hyde's spot at nickel. Opening up room for Jones to play safety... but Burnett at ilb out of a base 3-4... sounds like a great way to get Jones on the field, get Burnett closer to the action. And keep three dlineman and Perry to get push still.

I'm trying to find ways to keep 3 dlineman and Perry rushing, while still being in a dime. Capers always pulls the dlineman. And I think it's a mistake. Perry needs to be rushing.

I was thinking Randall will fill Hyde's role. I thought Gunter before that. Add the rookie Jones and wondering where Brice fits in too. King and house are going to start imo.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would be great if most picks were for certain? wished that would help with stocks, as well!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to preface this by saying that I really hope that all of these guys work out so that the Packers can finally stop drafting defensive backs. I'm hoping next year that the Packers draft killer receivers or something.

I do not believe that the 2015 draft was a waste. I believe that the Falcons NFC Championship Game, as well as most of the regular season, showed that the Packers left both quality starters and depth at defensive back. The Packers were playing a secondary full of injured and undrafted players in the playoffs last yea. The Packers went from Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, and Casey Hewyard to Damarious Randall, Quentin Rollins, and LaDarius Gunter. The Packers needed playmakers and needed depth. Joe Whitt is an excellent secondary coach. I believe he will get Randall, Rollins, Gunter, King, and Jones to play up to their abilities.

Anybody else find it strange that the Milwaukee Sentinel Journal had Randall and Rollins rated as the #2 and #4 safeties in the 2015 draft? http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...ts-defensive-backs-b99487251z1-301633761.html

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have said, I don't think it means it was a waste just that it didn't appear to solve all the problems Ted thought were there when he picked R&R in the first place. We are still looking for 2 quality starters at CB. Assuming King will be one of them that means either Rollins or Randall will have to step up not needing both of them to do so is a big help. I think Ted is still confident that they can both work out but by taking King he lessens the need for that to happen.

Its still too soon to make a definitive decision on Randall or Rollins but this season will be big for both of them. Best case scenario we come out of it with 2 quality starters and a quality backup. Worst case we are drafting a CB with our first pick again next year

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why people keep saying this. Even if the rookies would have had good years we still would have had to replace Shields and Hyde. It means they are not stars but they are definitely not a waste yet.

It means there were not huge holes on this team outside certain spots on defense. The offense didn't have holes the staff deemed worthy of a pick before the late 4th and I agree with that. This team came in with the need for depth, talent, and athleticism in the secondary and it seems like they got that. They needed help at Olb and they may have waited too long in most people's mind although I was high on Biegel from the start. Loved his value in the middle rounds compared to what was available late first and in the second.

The defense got an influx of players who have the tools to help. Time to coach them up. Whitt has pieces to make a secondary now.

He's not saying he is asking and so far no one has said it. It is not difficult to see why some people might be leaning that way though. When you take 2 CBs with 2 high picks and 2 years later you take another one it might raise some red flags. It doesn't mean it was a waste and it doesn't mean Ted thinks he blew it it just means, like you said, we had 1 apparent really big weakness last year and Ted addressed the situation.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm one who totally believes Rollins was a WASTE of a second round pick...and that Randall was DEFINITELY a REACH pick in the 1st.

Rollins had an ok rookie season, but I'm 99% sure he will play out his rookie contract in GB and then be outta there. Randall is not a #1 but I do have confidence that he can be a solid #2. But I believe that if they let Casey Hayward go? Then like Rollins, Randall will play his 4 seasons in GB and be shown the door.

I hear ppl talk about Jones being the replacement for Burnett? I don't think that's the case at all...in fact I believe Brice is the SS in waiting and that Jones is actually somebody who will add strength to special teams and be a backup to HaHa. Burnett however I do believe will play a rover role this season. Meaning on passing downs he will play LB due to his ability to cover tightends and defend the run while Brice slides in at SS.

Sky King

Reaction score
The injuries made it impossible to properly evaluate Randall and Rollins last season. They may still have a bright future with the team. Those injuries also proved how risky it is to rely so heavily upon inexperienced UDFAs for depth behind the starters. TT & Co. presumed they were prepared to weather the typical injury ill-winds. They weren't prepared for the storm that actually did occur. To me, the first two picks of the 2017 draft were a strong reaction to such an unfortunate miscalculation.

Generally, I prefer not to look at the addition of draft picks and those rare FA pick-ups by TT as (assumed) replacements for the top of the roster unless free-agency/the cap are what depleted the top of the depth chart directly. Instead, I view a draft pick as being more useful to serve as a replacement who will eventually strengthen the bottom-end of the depth chart with talent and greater versatility. It allows the team to upgrade to having more talented backups at the ready.

Performance and injury will continuously cause adjustments to the depth chart which, as always, will be far more dynamic than static in nature. That does not mean that the draftees cannot become starters as rookies the way that King probably will right from the get-go. And it's also possible that another of the most recent acquisitions, such as Jones or House, could also secure one of the primary starting positions (if there is such a thing anymore with all the packages and sub-packages) based soley upon their progression along the way. Finally, perhaps a few of those raw but athletic UDFAs from last year -- Brice, Hawkins, Whitehead, Waters and Marwin Evans will actually make that much ballyhooed but never guaranteed second-year jump.

Along with personal growth and the addition of the two new DBs from the recent draft, an abundance of bonafide talent would be a welcome pendulum swing in the other direction in helping to even-out last year's unmitigated disaster at DB. We know that injuries will inevitably strike again somewhere. We just don't know when, how many, nor whom they will affect most and for how long. This year and on paper the DB position group looks to be in much better shape than it was for most of last season, especially in the playoffs.

DBs are going to go to IR once again. Others that are eligible will also make it to the practice squad. Some players simply won't be good enough. There could even be some talent healthy and worth keeping around that will get lost in a numbers game at cut-down time. That's a good "problem" to have IMHO.

As last season proved, it would be far better to have an abundance of healthy, experienced and versatile talent on the DB roster from top to bottom than to not have enough -- especially when, purely out of necessity, the bottom of the roster may need to serve as the pool of starting players. A dearth of talent and availability adversely affected the RB position last season, as well. The season before it happened with WR.

This season keep your fingers crossed regarding injuries to the DL, LB and especially within the OL group, which may arguably have the least proven talent now sitting at the bottom of its depth chart. If cluster injuries hit hardest at any one single position once again this season we may see a repeat of the kind of struggles that we have witnessed occur over and over during the course of the last few seasons.

A little bit more dabbling into free-agency (for mid-level-type backups with experience) might help to better ensure covering a mass injury situation than raw UDFAs are capable of providing, but that's another topic altogether.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As stated, they needed to replace Hyde and Shields, Gunter has limitations and Goodson is well.. Goodson. They needed DB help regardless and last year has shown you can never have enough DBs.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those two guys were drafted in 2015 when we expected Shields to be around. For all we know, having them become the #1 and #2 was never part of the plan.

Reaction score
It was a waste long before this draft!
J/k! (I think?)
Seriously though, I think it's kinda half and half, meaning either Randall or Rollins steps up while the other regresses.
With some luck, King could develop and Be a starter by year's end if either veteran doesn't improve markedly his 3rd season. My guess is that Randall will lift his game some this year barring another nagging injury.
I might add that.. I think it was brilliant getting a tall guy like King without sacrificing athleticism. These WRs are not getting any shorter. A 6'3+ Wideout has a clear advantage over a 5'10 1/2" DB and this will eventually alleviate several matchup nightmares.

Last edited: