Simulated Mock Scenario #2 (Huge trade up)

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may have gone off the deep end with this mock, but if ever Gute was going to go all in this is the year. I had us trading all the way up to #8 giving up a slew of picks in the process. The Panthers get 2 1sts, a 2022 3rd, 2 4ths, and a 5th, Packers get #8 and a 6th...

Anyway, adding Waddle to this offense would be an absolute dream. In R2, Holland is an absolute ball hawk who should force many turnovers, and Williams is a specimen on the DL with tremendous upside. I would be absolutely over the moon if Gute were to pull this off.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't htink any WR is worth trading up to the top 10 for. OT or Aaron Donald type player, sure. WR? no thank you.

OP
OP
G

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starters/key contributors after the draft:

QB: Aaron Rodgers
HB: Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon
WR: Devante Adams, Jaylen Waddle, Marquez Valdez-Scantling, Aaron Lazard
TE: Robert Tonyan, Josiah Degura
LT: David Bakhtiari
LG: Elgton Jenkins
C: Lucas Patrick
RG: Jon Runyan/Kendrick Green
RT: Billy Turner

DE: Kingsley Keke
NT: Kenny Clark
DE: Milton Williams

OLB: Za'Darious Smith
ILB: Kris Barnes
ILB: Kamal Martin/Derrick Barnes
OLB: Rashan Gary, Preston Smith

CB: Jaire Alexander
NB: Javon Holland/Chandon Sullivan
CB: Kevin King/Javon Holland
FS: Darnell Savage
SS: Adrian Amos

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't htink any WR is worth trading up to the top 10 for. OT or Aaron Donald type player, sure. WR? no thank you.

Thats the mind set the Packers have had for decades it seems like. Its time we go all in and put pieces around Rodgers that will set us up for immediate success. Also, the last time a team made a bold trade up like this for a WR it was the Falcons for Julio Jones, that worked out pretty well for them. Also, Waddle reminds me A LOT of Julio. If you had a chance to add a young in his prime Julio to this team, would you, and how much would you be willing to pay? Also, no OT is worth trading all the way up for when there are plug and play guys you can take in R1 or even 2. There is a pretty steep drop off at WR after the first 5 come off the board. Unlike last year...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers needs a good oline going forward more than julio jones. Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, all very, very, very good WR's and all taken rd 2 or later. WR's are not hard to come by.

OP
OP
G

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers needs a good oline going forward more than julio jones. Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, all very, very, very good WR's and all taken rd 2 or later. WR's are not hard to come by.

And all those WRs you mentioned took 2 or 3 years to develop into reliable #1 or #2 WR's...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

Waddle is awesome, but trading that much draft capital for anything other than a franchise QB just doesn't return value.

And wide receiver is probably the most overvalued position in the league.

Say you trade all those picks to get Waddle or you stay put and take Elijah Moore. Is Waddle so much better that he’s going to make up for all that extra capital?

It’s like if you were shopping for houses, and comparing two that were identical, except that one was 15% bigger. But the bigger one cost 3X as much.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Doing this would make less sense than the Jordan Love pick did.
Just for the record, I’m one of those who is glad we drafted Jordan Love. I didn’t fully appreciate it until I saw his tape. Then I fully understood the pick. A side benefit may have been that it provided Rodgers the impetus to get his throwing mechanics back in order, plus it gave him a nice sized chip on his shoulder.

OP
OP
G

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can easily see us trading Jordan Love and the 29th pick to a team like the Patriots for their 1st. Having the 15th pick puts us in striking range for Parsons, Slater, Davante Smith, even Kyle Pitts. If we don't have to add any picks to the Love deal other than 29, we can use that capital to then trade up into the top 5 and definitely top 10. More than one avenue to do this. Only problem I see with dealing Love is that it would almost guarantee we would have to draft a QB at some point, Trask possibly? I don't know if there are any accomplished backups still out there. Beathard? Mullins? Barkley? (loose use of the word accomplished i know lol)I would definitely be ok with trading a future first to move up for "Our" guy. This team is tantalizingly close to a SB.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even get under the moon for any draft that does not include an OT somewhere in the 1st 4 rounds. I believe Beathard has been signed but Mullens is still available. I do like Holland as well as a couple of other DBs at 62. I like Williams, Smith & Dalman in the spots you chose them.

Reaction score
I can easily see us trading Jordan Love and the 29th pick to a team like the Patriots for their 1st. Having the 15th pick puts us in striking range for Parsons, Slater, Davante Smith, even Kyle Pitts. If we don't have to add any picks to the Love deal other than 29, we can use that capital to then trade up into the top avenue to do this. Only problem I see with dealing Love is that it would almost guarantee we would have to draft a QB at some point, Trask possibly? I don't know if there are any accomplished backups still out there. Beathard? Mullins? Barkley? (loose use of the word accomplished i know lol)I would definitely be ok with trading a future first to move up for "Our" guy. This team is tantalizingly close to a SB.
Indeed, It’s fun to dream about a trade with Jordan. It would make sense in a “win now” culture and this season actually has a significant need at QB when looking around the league.
That said I just don’t see GB trading him this early. It would leave them exposed at backup QB and both imply they had made the selection in haste. It would have to be a blockbuster trade alright.

In a dream world, we’d be offered a top #20 overall (or earlier) plus a day 2 selection without giving up anything outside a day 3. That’s an area we might sniff at. You have to remember that Love was a top 15 area projection by many analysts, so GB very possibly sees him such and now he’s entrenched in their system. They aren’t going to trade him this season for anything but a deal they can’t refuse (top 10 type). That would show they have good business sense, recouping from the loss of last years selections for a profit.

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I’m one of those who is glad we drafted Jordan Love. I didn’t fully appreciate it until I saw his tape. Then I fully understood the pick. A side benefit may have been that it provided Rodgers the impetus to get his throwing mechanics back in order, plus it gave him a nice sized chip on his shoulder.
Same. I had Love mocked to the Packers in Amish's draft. What I liked about Love's college tape was the fact he made difficult NFL throws look VERY easy and effortless.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ I second Mondio.
RB, QB, DL, WR & CB are among the highest draft busts (First round with less than 50 games).
If anything DL & WR are some of the "safest" picks after the first round to grab.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, adding Waddle to this offense would be an absolute dream. In R2, Holland is an absolute ball hawk who should force many turnovers
Adding Waddle is definitely a pipe dream but I love the Holland pick. Packers did go to Hollands pro day and had a virtual interview with him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Same. I had Love mocked to the Packers in Amish's draft. What I liked about Love's college tape was the fact he made difficult NFL throws look VERY easy and effortless.
I saw one mock having Love picked at #6. Mel Kiper said he had the best arm skills of all the QB’s in the 2020 draft. It’s possible that the Packers had Love at the very top of their draft board.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had no idea who he was until after we drafted him :) But I agree, watching him make throws it looked like he and a legit NFL arm. Of course there is a lot more that goes into it, but I wasn't as upset with the pick after I saw him throw.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I discovered that Love has the talent of a future Hall of Famer as soon as he became a Packer.

Alternatively, I decided that he can't play a lick as soon as they took him and not the player I wanted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats the mind set the Packers have had for decades it seems like. Its time we go all in and put pieces around Rodgers that will set us up for immediate success. Also, the last time a team made a bold trade up like this for a WR it was the Falcons for Julio Jones, that worked out pretty well for them. Also, Waddle reminds me A LOT of Julio. If you had a chance to add a young in his prime Julio to this team, would you, and how much would you be willing to pay? Also, no OT is worth trading all the way up for when there are plug and play guys you can take in R1 or even 2. There is a pretty steep drop off at WR after the first 5 come off the board. Unlike last year...
Well I applaud you for thinking out of the box and giving us something different to look at and discuss.

I'm in the camp that you never take a WR high in the draft. I seem to recall an article that analyzed it and found that teams who did that were generally less successful. Having a great WR did not correlate to wins as much as other positions.

I think Waddle could be different as he is more pro-ready than most WRs coming out, but I would still be against the trade. Too many eggs in one basket.

Although Julio Jones did work out, they still never won a superbowl. Would thay have won a SB if installed of 1 great WR they picked up a good WR as well as a good CB, OT, and DE with the picks they gave up? Who knows. Maybe.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well there you have it. If Mel Kiper said so.
Lol, I hear ya. Watch his tape for yourself on YouTube. I was stunned. The kid has a lot of confidence in his ability to get the ball into tight and narrow spots and does so with fluidity and ease of body movement. He’s got natural tools that can’t be taught.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well I applaud you for thinking out of the box and giving us something different to look at and discuss.

I'm in the camp that you never take a WR high in the draft. I seem to recall an article that analyzed it and found that teams who did that were generally less successful. Having a great WR did not correlate to wins as much as other positions.

I think Waddle could be different as he is more pro-ready than most WRs coming out, but I would still be against the trade. Too many eggs in one basket.

Although Julio Jones did work out, they still never won a superbowl. Would thay have won a SB if installed of 1 great WR they picked up a good WR as well as a good CB, OT, and DE with the picks they gave up? Who knows. Maybe.

While I'm not against taking a WR high, I am against trading a ton of capital to get up there for one.

So to add to your point on Julio-- the player absolutely hit, but the move really did not. They essentially spent two 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and two 4th round picks on Jones. The lull in success that they suffered in 2013-2015 (18-30 overall), while multi-factorial, was most directly a result of missing that draft capital.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pike I hear ya. He does some Mahomesesque things. They say the NFL is copycat league. My guess is if Love were in the draft before Mahomes had become such a successful NFL QB Gute does not fall so much in love with Jordan.

Members online

Latest posts