Should TT trade out of first round?

H

HardRightEdge

Good points HRE, thanks. I guess I am a guy that keeps thinking the Packers have needed a better punter for several years now and always viewed the 7th round pick as a way to at least lock up one of the top college guys, a position where the pool of talent is much smaller. Last year we tried Mortell, maybe this year they will hit better with another try at a few UDFA Punters. But I still would like having that pick in my back pocket, just in case there was still a punter or any specific guy I really liked but feared I couldn't land him in the UDFA market. This year I am sticking with my desire to draft a punter and hope Austin Rehkow is available in the 7th, although, if the Packers really like him, they might have to use a 6th.
Well, like I said before, Thompson can take a punter with his 7th. rounder if he sees fit. It shouldn't be a deal breaker in any first round trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

The value potentially in the 7th round pick is packaging it with another pick to move up higher for someone you want.

Well, according to the chart Pokerbrat linked to the Packers can't even move up a single spot in the third round by adding their seventh rounder to a package though.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, according to the chart Pokerbrat linked to the Packers can't even move up a single spot in the third round by adding their seventh rounder to a package though.
Whether 1 point, 2 points, 7 points or 14 points, the value is so marginal as to be a rounding error.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Whether 1 point, 2 points, 7 points or 14 points, the value is so marginal as to be a rounding error.
I agree the "Chart" value is marginal, but to me the actual value is the ability to hold the rights to another player, who otherwise is a FA after the draft concludes. I am sure some teams value that more than others and it probably depends on how many UDFA's they actually covet. TT has set the roster up so far, to have plenty of space for UDFA signings. Hopefully, he can hit on a few of them.

FrozenTakesInGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The closer the draft gets the more likely it is looking to me like the Packers will trade their first round pick. I typically would be upset about trading out of the first round, but here is a trade that I would love. The Cleveland Browns trade for #29 and the Packers recieve #33 and #108. According to the Draft trade chart the Packers would "win" the trade 658 to 640. The other aspect that I would love is, we would hold the first pick on days two and three of the draft, something about that is really appealing to me.

Called it?

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ted your on clock....Ted....Ted....TED!!!! Awe crap his no button is stuck...oh hell trade down dammit!!!

FrozenTakesInGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it! It's the exact trade that I called for earlier. Now we have 9 picks in a super deep draft. Here are the guys we are looking at through those 9 picks in my opinion.

1. Dalvin Cook
2. Alvin Kamara
3. Kevin King
4. Joe Mixon
5. Chris Godwin
6. Marcus Maye
7. Chad Hansen
8. Josh Carraway
9. Dan Skipper
10. Trent Taylor
11. Javancy Jones
12. Ezra Robinson
13. Freddie Stevenson

Reaction score
Someone else mentioned this but... it makes sense that we also have the luxury of stepping back and re-evaluating our options now that we know exactly who is on and off the board.
We open the games tomorrow with the first overall of our 3 picks.
Then we open the event again Saturday with the 1st overall of six additional picks including a pair 4th rounders and a pair 5th rounders.
In a draft class that is deep in several key focus position groups this trade back allows us to beef up our depth across the board and grab a player or two that we might normally pass on due to limited picks.
While I'll admit I was a bit frustrated at first because I personally wanted TJ, the more I considered this move the more it makes sense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I found the timing interesting. I think the trade was made with pick 27 on the clock. That tells me that either they had no one else left they felt had pick 29 value, or quite a few were still remaining.

Imo, I think there board may be holding up very well. Trying to get as many of their higher targets as possible.
Edit: I only say that because I was surprised that offensive skill players dominated the first half of the round. Wasn't expecting that at all. There is still a lot of desperation out there in some of the franchises.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is it too late to say yes?

I think the Falcons got our guy and when he was gone there was a a huge pile of guys that view similarly so they picked up the extra picks. In a draft considered so deep, it's not a bad strategy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
is it too late to say yes?

I think the Falcons got our guy and when he was gone there was a a huge pile of guys that view similarly so they picked up the extra picks. In a draft considered so deep, it's not a bad strategy.
That could very well be the case. The news came across the wire earlier than I was expecting. Mc Kinley may have been pretty high on their board.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I found the timing interesting. I think the trade was made with pick 27 on the clock. That tells me that either they had no one else left they felt had pick 29 value, or quite a few were still remaining.

Imo, I think there board may be holding up very well. Trying to get as many of their higher targets as possible.
Edit: I only say that because I was surprised that offensive skill players dominated the first half of the round. Wasn't expecting that at all. There is still a lot of desperation out there in some of the franchises.

The trade came in either while Dallas was on the clock or right before, but I think it tells us that TT had decided that there were still plenty of players he was interested in and none of them were an absolute "have to have". I think if Charlton, Watt or Foster were one of those guys, TT would have sat on the pick until after Dallas made theirs. I also have this gut feeling that TT might have his eyes on a RB, possibly Cook or Mixon and he knew that with the teams left on the board, he would probably get a crack at one of them with the #33 pick. That is just a hunch :) It also wouldn't surprise me if TT gets an offer from another team, that he can't pass up, to trade that pick for someone that is still on the board that another team covets.