Should TT trade out of first round?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this all depends on whose available when the packers are on the clock. If someone unexpected falls that TT really likes he'll take em. But say nobody falls that TT needs and there are a lot of players he likes so he knows he's gonna get one of them if he drops 5 spots he very well coukd have several willing trade partners. The way things are shaping up it seems like a few qb prospects will be on the board so there may be teams wanting to jump other teams to secure the one they like. further Pittsburg picks 30 and they could be in the market for qb early as Roethlisberger is talking retirement. I know they have a backup they like but who knows how much. Cleveland (33) San Francisco (34) Jacksonville (35) Chargers (37) Jets (38) come to mind as possible trade partners.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any and all scenarios are a possibility :) We know if there's someone they've targeted and they think he's worth it, they'll trade up if they can. We know they'll stand pat and choose from what is available if other options aren't worth it. We know they'll trade back if they think they can still get their guys and gain more picks. Nothing surprises me on draft day :)

Whether he "should" or not, i don't know the draft well enough to have an opinion, but if he can, and still get the guys they want, then yes

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this all depends on whose available when the packers are on the clock. If someone unexpected falls that TT really likes he'll take em. But say nobody falls that TT needs and there are a lot of players he likes so he knows he's gonna get one of them if he drops 5 spots he very well coukd have several willing trade partners. The way things are shaping up it seems like a few qb prospects will be on the board so there may be teams wanting to jump other teams to secure the one they like. further Pittsburg picks 30 and they could be in the market for qb early as Roethlisberger is talking retirement. I know they have a backup they like but who knows how much. Cleveland (33) San Francisco (34) Jacksonville (35) Chargers (37) Jets (38) come to mind as possible trade partners.

My guess is that Red has a handful of names of guys he'd grab at #29, and if none of them are there, then he would look to trade back. Saying it, of course, is easier than doing it; it takes two to tango.

Cleveland is an attractive trade partner because of all the extra picks they have from previous trades. It could be that they might be hesitant to draft a quarterback with their first two picks (# 1 & #12 overall) due to all the talent still left on the board, but might want to grab one at #29 if they don't think their guy will still be there at #33. The 3 teams they would be leap-frogging, barring another trade, would be Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and New Orleans, and it's possible the Steelers at least might be looking for Roethlisberger's heir. Cleveland might be motivated to draft a QB especially if they think their division rival also covets him.

A lot of if's in that scenario, it all depends on what teams want and how the draft falls. It's fun to speculate though.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys like Kizer and Mahomes should be available late in the first, and it would make good sense for a QB needy team to want to move back up into the first to take one of them. As you said, it depends who is on the board, but I don't think there will be a lack of potential trade partners this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

My guess is that Red has a handful of names of guys he'd grab at #29, and if none of them are there, then he would look to trade back. Saying it, of course, is easier than doing it; it takes two to tango.

I believe Thompson will be interested in several players still on the board at #29. He might be inclined to trade back expecting at least one out of that group to still be available at that point.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
players likely to be available early 2nd round but gone by #61

Edge
TJ Watt
Jordan Willis
Tarkarist Mckinney
Carl Lawson
Tyus Bowser
RB
Joe Mixon
Dalvin Cook
Alvin Kamara
Marlon Mack
OL
Forrest Lamp
Dan Feeney
Dion Dawkins
Ethan Pocic
CB
Chidobe Awuzie
Adoree Jackson
Kevin King
Gareon Conley
Sidney Jones
Fabian Moreau
Cordrea Tankersley
WR
Chris Godwin
Cooper Kupp
Zay Jones
Curtis Samuel

I don't personally like ever guy on that list but I do like enough of em that I know if I was picking I could drop and still get one. And I get that a number of these guys will go in mid to late first.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Edge
TJ Watt
Jordan Willis
Tarkarist Mckinney
Carl Lawson
Tyus Bowser
RB
Joe Mixon
Dalvin Cook
Alvin Kamara
Marlon Mack
OL
Forrest Lamp
Dan Feeney
Dion Dawkins
Ethan Pocic
CB
Chidobe Awuzie
Adoree Jackson
Kevin King
Gareon Conley
Sidney Jones
Fabian Moreau
Cordrea Tankersley
WR
Chris Godwin
Cooper Kupp
Zay Jones
Curtis Samuel

I don't personally like ever guy on that list but I do like enough of em that I know if I was picking I could drop and still get one. And I get that a number of these guys will go in mid to late first.

That's an interesting list - It would be nice to be able to get two of those guys rather than just one. Cleveland, btw, has picks 33 and 52 in the second round.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For those who haven't seen this chart, it is a nice reference to look at to see just what draft pick trades are usually valued at. I think Jimmy Johnson was given credit for putting this together in 1991 and it seems to be pretty accurate.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=gb

For instance:

Packers #1 pick is valued at 640 points. If they trade it to San Fran, they would expect the 49er's #2 (560) and their #4 (76) in return.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those who haven't seen this chart, it is a nice reference to look at to see just what draft pick trades are usually valued at. I think Jimmy Johnson was given credit for putting this together in 1991 and it seems to be pretty accurate.

For instance:

Packers #1 pick is valued at 640 points. If they trade it to San Fran, they would expect the 49er's #2 (560) and their #4 (76) in return.

I bookmarked it, thanks for posting it. For those of us how love to follow the draft, that's a great resource.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's an interesting list - It would be nice to be able to get two of those guys rather than just one. Cleveland, btw, has picks 33 and 52 in the second round.
Im not sure pick 29 commands 33 and 52 though. Depends how desperate Cleveland is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

For instance:

Another good place to look is at a chart that shows past draft pick trades. Can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure google knows.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Im not sure pick 29 commands 33 and 52 though. Depends how desperate Cleveland is.
Thinking about that some more leads me to believe we'd have to throw in our 5th rounder for Cleveland 7th as well might get the deal done.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be able to get 34 and 66 from San francisco if Cleveland doesn't take a qb with one of their first 2 picks. That would give TT 4 picks in top 100. Numbers 34, 61, 66, and 93. which would likely land TT solid prospects with the ability to contribute right away at rb, cb, edge, and ol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thinking about that some more leads me to believe we'd have to throw in our 5th rounder for Cleveland 7th as well might get the deal done.

I seriously doubt even Cleveland would be willing to trade two second round picks for the Packers #29 pick. The Browns two picks have a "value" of 960...Packers #29 pick 640. The best the Packers could hope for in that situation would be to swap their #1 and #2 (292 value) picks for both of Cleveland's 2nd round picks. Which, if there was a large group of desirable picks for the Packers at #29, would be worth it IMO.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Edge
TJ Watt
Jordan Willis
Tarkarist Mckinney
Carl Lawson
Tyus Bowser
RB
Joe Mixon
Dalvin Cook
Alvin Kamara
Marlon Mack
OL
Forrest Lamp
Dan Feeney
Dion Dawkins
Ethan Pocic
CB
Chidobe Awuzie
Adoree Jackson
Kevin King
Gareon Conley
Sidney Jones
Fabian Moreau
Cordrea Tankersley
WR
Chris Godwin
Cooper Kupp
Zay Jones
Curtis Samuel

Get a running back and Aaron will be better than he is know can you imagine that!!!!!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Get a running back and Aaron will be better than he is know can you imagine that!!!!!!!

Imagine the Packers with Ezekiel Elliot in the backfield! Now...imagine the Packers 2016 Defense trotting out onto the field!

Once again, the Packers don't have the luxury of an offensive pick in the first round, so for the 6th straight year, I see them having to go defense with the first and possibly the second pick as well.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine the Packers with Ezekiel Elliot in the backfield! Now...imagine the Packers 2016 Defense trotting out onto the field!

Once again, the Packers don't have the luxury of an offensive pick in the first round, so for the 6th straight year, I see them having to go defense with the first and possibly the second pick as well.
If Dom plays the 3/4 instead off gimmicks guys can and will get better sub 3 DL in and 3 out and defense will be fine ,play that price kid more he didn't look bad for 10 plays ,I think he's going to develop like lane Taylor did.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Dom plays the 3/4 instead off gimmicks guys can and will get better sub 3 DL in and 3 out and defense will be fine ,play that price kid more he didn't look bad for 10 plays ,I think he's going to develop like lane Taylor did.
Will give you credit, you have far more confidence in Capers and the current group on the defense improving enough to get the Packers to the Super Bowl, than I do.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys like Kizer and Mahomes should be available late in the first, and it would make good sense for a QB needy team to want to move back up into the first to take one of them. As you said, it depends who is on the board, but I don't think there will be a lack of potential trade partners this year.

I think that Mahomes kid is gonna be a superstar. He's got elite arm talent.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares Aaron has 6 good years if he gets mixon or the guy from Stanford what's the need for a qb !!!!

Wasn't talking about Mahomes for the Packers. Just in general.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The fifth year option on first round picks as opposed to just 4 year rookie contracts is important for some positions and teams also.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who cares Aaron has 6 good years if he gets mixon or the guy from Stanford what's the need for a qb !!!!

Wasn't talking about Mahomes for the Packers. Just in general.

Then again, who would have thought with Brett Favre, the Packers would have drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round, that turned out ok. ;)

I too am not saying the Packers should draft Mahomes, than again, I was scratching my head when they did draft Rodgers, so what do I know! :confused:

D

Deleted member 6794

The last time a team traded the 29th pick was in 2013 when the Patriots received Minnesota's second (52nd), third (83rd), fourth (102nd) and seventh (229th) round picks in return.

Latest posts