1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Should the Xtra Point be Eliminated

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by melvin dangerr, Jan 13, 2014.

1. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    Well yes, since all the new rules are poofing the the game, and more scoring is happening all over the place just my novel idea(mine only) the goal post was moved to the back of the End Zone, I guess the purpose was for more TD's less field goals, why not have teams go for 2pts, 99.99% of extra pts are gimmies, why not let the teams earn more pts, field goal kickers will kick field goals but 2pts might throw more interest in extra pts. thoughts out there

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Yes. And kneel downs as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    So they take away the extra point option.
    Then does the team get 6 or 7 points?
    And can they still go for two? Which would mean that they would end up with 8 or 9?
    Or are they just going for one? To have 7 or 8?

I kinda like the extra point. It puts the exclamation point at the end of a long drive.
    Maybe they could move it back farther to make it seem more worth it or else give them the option to fake it and if they get it in then they get 3 points.

4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I agree with taking away the kneel downs.
    Have them play to the bitter end.
    I guess the kneel downs is to prevent injuries.
    But to not have them play all the way down to zero then why bother having a clock at all?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    I think they should get rid of pointless plays. I think bud grant might be pushing this if memory serves correct.

6. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +362
    I would rather get rid of spiking the ball to stop the clock.
    At any other point in the game it would be called intentional grounding.

7. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +362
    In answer to the original question: NO!

8. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    I don't think you can get rid of the extra point. otherwise, if you were to keep the 2pt conversion (would it be 1pt conversion then?) somehow, there would be no risk/reward consideration for the conversion. teams would have no reason not to go for the conversion and would go for it all the time. Unless, if you went for the conversion and failed you went back to 6.

I'm all for eliminating the PAT for the purposes of it being a time waster and basically pointless since it's hardly missed, but not at the expense for altering the way the game is scored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    I always wondered why when the q/b takes a knee with out being touched it can't be a live ball still

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    This thread is too funny. I was just thinking about this last week. I was thinking "Man, it sucks that an entire year can rest on the foot of a fricken kicker." I really hate that. I know it's part of the game and so on.... but I would vote to do away with all FG and extra point kicking! lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I think to make it more interesting they should bring back the old fashioned goal posts that look like an "H" or make the cross bar higher.
    The way it is now, that cross bar is too low making it less challenging or too easy for the FG.
    They bring back the H style goal posts and there may not be as many high scoring games or the game would be more exciting since it would force teams to try and get it farther down the field before going for a very long FG.

12. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Get rid of the kicker would end our debates on how good or bad Mason Crosby is and that takes away some fun from the forum right there.

13. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,044
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    I hate the kneel downs, throw in your back ups if you are afraid of injury. Though we are all Packers fans and know they would get hurt followed by their starter the next game first set of downs. Make a field goal from inside the 20 1 point, from the 20 to inside the 40 2 points and past the 40 3 points. Extra points can be the same as the field goal and if you want to go for 2, make it go for 3.

Wait too many changes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. melvin dangerr

Ratings:
    +105
    Hate the kneel downs too, 60 mins of football, kneeling is for church…...

16. melvin dangerr

Ratings:
    +105
    Take away 1 (for good) go for 2, miss the 2, U have only 6, you can be tied but the 2 pts ahead forces you too score a TD to go ahead possibly eliminating tie games, and more offense, and better D-fense could make the game more interesting(crossing fingers) no more kicking for a pt….

17. DON BARRETT

DON BARRETT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    How about making the hash marks wider and instead of a 15 yard extra point make it a 30 yard. kicking game is too easy these days.

18. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I don't like the idea of teams always having to go for two. It would dramatically change the game.

I'm also not bothered by how automatic short fields goals are. If a team doesn't want the other team to have a gimme three points, they shouldn't let them get so close.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. USArmyParatrooper

USArmyParatrooper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    You can't do away with kneel downs. The QB has the ball and brings himself down. The best you can do is make him have to wait for a defender to touch him, which is fine by winning team. Just more time off the clock.

20. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +153
    He is giving himself up kinda like a slide.

21. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,044
    Actually any player at any time can take a knee & down himself. Witness last play interceptions when the defender hits the deck in a fetal position with the ball. I've also seen ball carriers do it when they get a game clinching first down. Any kickoff that is caught and not returned out of the endzone is basically a kneeldown.

22. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983

Yes I know, but it is strange to me that all game long a player has to be tackled to be down..But to end a game all the q.b has to do is kneel...