Should Packers claim Dj Swearinger ?

Should the Packers claim safety DJ Swearinger on waivers?

• Yes

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Released by Washington today the 6th year safety has 53 tackles 1 sack 4 ints 10 pd and 3 ff this season. In 2017 he had 79 tackles .5 sacks 4 ints and 10 pd. Over the last 3 seasons he has 11 ints and 38 pd 3.5 sacks and 4 ff pretty good for a strong safety who is known as more of a hitter.
I'd say gute should use his decently high position on the waiver wire to claim and hopefully be awarded Swearinger. It's definitely worth having him in the roster for 2019 to battle for the starting strong safety spot.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard he’s like a $4.5M guy next year. No problem idea if he’s worth that or not

D

Deleted member 6794

It might be smart to claim Swearinger off waivers and take a look at him next offseason before deciding on whether he's worth being part of the 53 next season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep Dix and release him? Something doesn't seem right LOL

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep Dix and release him? Something doesn't seem right LOL

Yeah Washington is a disfunctional organization.
Their mistake could be the Packers gain. 4.5 million is a steal for a guy that puts up that stat line. I say claim and see if he fits in if not you can always cut him and lose nothing

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know enough about him, but he'd have to be absolutely terrible for me to say no. Apparently competent safety? Yes please.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It might be smart to claim Swearinger off waivers and take a look at him next offseason before deciding on whether he's worth being part of the 53 next season.
He has 5+ accrued seasons. Isn't he a free agent now?
But otherwise, as I said in the FA thread, I'd take him for the next two seasons for up to $15m. Who cares if he vented at the coaches game plans.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes! This team needs talent everywhere. He vented to a coach Tom Brady and Josh McDaniel bark at each other all the time. This organization needs to turn over every rock to find talent. Bring him in.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has 5+ accrued seasons. Isn't he a free agent now?
But otherwise, as I said in the FA thread, I'd take him for the next two seasons for up to $15m. Who cares if he vented at the coaches game plans.

That's what I thought too but everything I've seen says he's subject to waivers. And he has 1 year left on his contact at 4.5 million

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like he's worn out his welcome everywhere he's went. Talented guy, but he just doesn't seem to get it....

I think I'd pass.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like he's worn out his welcome everywhere he's went. Talented guy, but he just doesn't seem to get it....

I think I'd pass.

I think it seems to be the opposite he does get it and he doesn't just stand by and not say anything. I tried to upload the ESPN article about this situation it's pretty telling

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it seems to be the opposite he does get it and he doesn't just stand by and not say anything. I tried to upload the ESPN article about this situation it's pretty telling

Released by Houston. Released by Tampa Bay. Released by Arizona. Released by Washington.

Color me skeptical.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Released by Houston. Released by Tampa Bay. Released by Arizona. Released by Washington.

Color me skeptical.

I agree certainly reason for skepticism. And maybe he wouldn't fit in Green Bay but no harm in claiming him and finding out.
Another key part of this is that when he was released by the Texans after 2 seasons there were rumors that it was because he had become too close to jadaveon clowney. And the organization didn't want an outspoken guy like swearinger to have so much influence over there new prized #1 draft pick employee.
Well fast forward and Swearinger is subject to waivers and clowney his close friend is a free agent after this season.
Adding clowney for big money and Swearinger at a bargain with no long term implications, to this defense could take the team to the next level.
With a lack of true pass rusher talent, pettine made the 2018 defense the number 3 pass rushing unit in the league with 50 sacks. Add clowney and Swearinger to that coupled with all the draft capital gute has available and you have the serious makings of a dominant defense

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think after the trade deadline or so, everyone is subject to waivers if released regardless of vet status. But i've been wrong before.

and I haven't looked into why he was released at all. Too crazy around this morning :)

Mdos19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi y’all I’m new to the forum... but love the idea of swearinger a solid passionate safety that hates to lose our defense could use that fire and I do not care he ripped the coach. Also I have been on the redskins forums reading about how bad haha has been, it makes me smile lol....redskins fans feel that got ripped off in that trade now

H

HardRightEdge

Breeland already recruiting
Breeland recruiting Swearinger to the Packers? That would be odd given that Breeland will be a free agent. That would imply Breeland is just a signature away from an extension, would it not? That would be news.

Anyway, Swearinger was a weekly paid commentator on The Fan radio show where he was speaking his mind. He's been a repeat offender calling out his coaches, 3 strikes you're out so the story goes. Constant second guessing in the media divides the locker room and undermines coaching authority. A public incident where your $34 million QB blames everybody but himself has to be tolerated, but that's as far as it goes.

It seems to me bringing in a guy like Swearinger would require extracting certain promises: no radio shows, no social media and no interviews with the understanding that breaking that promise would result in release.

"The coaches think I'm too smart or I'm a weapon with my smarts," Swearinger said.

Indeed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Breeland recruiting Swearinger to the Packers? That would be odd given that Breeland will be a free agent. That would imply Breeland is just a signature away from an extension, would it not? That would be news.

Anyway, Swearinger was a weekly paid commentator on The Fan radio show where he was speaking his mind. He's been a repeat offender calling out his coaches, 3 strikes you're out so the story goes. Constant second guessing in the media divides the locker room and undermines coaching authority. A public incident where your $34 million QB blames everybody but himself has to be tolerated, but that's as far as it goes.

It seems to me bringing in a guy like Swearinger would require extracting certain promises: no radio shows, no social media and no interviews with the understanding that breaking that promise would result in release.

"The coaches think I'm too smart or I'm a weapon with my smarts," Swearinger said.

Indeed.
I don't care how it looks.

The new scapegoat welcome to club my boy @JungleBoi_Swagg ***** starting to be ridiculous self destruction much love to em it is wat it is come on down to Green Bay https://t.co/NAgxJXqMlR

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

I don't care how it looks.

The new scapegoat welcome to club my boy @JungleBoi_Swagg ***** starting to be ridiculous self destruction much love to em it is wat it is come on down to Green Bay https://t.co/NAgxJXqMlR
I have no idea what that garbled sentence is supposed to mean. I was interested in whether Breeland is about to sign an extention.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agent after the season or how does this all work? I feel for anyone headed to AZ.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea what that garbled sentence is supposed to mean. I was interested in whether Breeland is about to sign an extention.
He was telling dj to come to GB..

So if he was telling him to come maybe he is going to re up

Status
Not open for further replies.