Shields to Start

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I watched a bit of the first half of the game last night. Shields looked good, but on a couple of plays I noticed him opting out of making a big hit. If he can play well and still play a bit safe, he could play for several years. But as we all seem to feel, a big risk for sure in the game of football.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a bit of the first half of the game last night. Shields looked good, but on a couple of plays I noticed him opting out of making a big hit. If he can play well and still play a bit safe, he could play for several years. But as we all seem to feel, a big risk for sure in the game of football.
If he wants to stay in the game, it's probably not a bad strategy. With all the guys the Rams have, though the haven't hit stride yet in their defense, if there is one team that can tell a guy, "you're playing pass, you can avoid some contact" it's the Rams. I hope he stays healthy

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he wants to stay in the game, it's probably not a bad strategy. With all the guys the Rams have, though the haven't hit stride yet in their defense, if there is one team that can tell a guy, "you're playing pass, you can avoid some contact" it's the Rams. I hope he stays healthy
One of the plays I saw him really pull up on to avoid any contact, there were 2 other Ram defenders around the receiver. While the Rams didn't really overly impress me on defense, man that offense was smoking the Vikings. I just love Cooper Kupp. I had him on my "want to draft list" way back when. Would have loved to have had him, but we got Josh Jones 8 picks before at the end of the 2nd Rd. :(

D

Deleted member 6794

I watched a bit of the first half of the game last night. Shields looked good, but on a couple of plays I noticed him opting out of making a big hit.

Shields hasn't performed at an even decent level so far having allowed a passer rating of 130.3 when targeted this season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields hasn't performed at an even decent level so far having allowed a passer rating of 130.3 when targeted this season.
The few times we were able to see him play last night he reminded me of the way he often played in Green Bay... out of position and relying on his speed to close and try to make a play ... sometimes it worked.. other times... he gets burned.

D

Deleted member 6794

The few times we were able to see him play last night he reminded me of the way he often played in Green Bay... out of position and relying on his speed to close and try to make a play ... sometimes it worked.. other times... he gets burned.

Don't get me wrong, Shields was a great cornerback while in Green Bay and I would love to have him on the roster if he would have been able to stay healthy. It's too small of a sample size to fairly evaluate how it will work out for the Rams this season.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody said he was done after his last concussion though.

This is true. I said it as well, but mainly because I'd never seen someone miss so much time from a concussion. That just made me think it was pretty bad, or he'd personally decided it was too bad. Idk. It does freak me out though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody said he was done after his last concussion though.
He basically missed a season and a half because of concussion symptoms for us the last 2 seasons he was with us. It took him over a year to get over symptoms of his last one that came from a fairly regular football play. How confident would you be in betting he won't have a return to symptoms or another concussion? I don't really know, the brain is a goofy thing. More goofy for some than others. With the trend of concussions being sustained by less contact and lasting that long, it's a bet I wasn't wanting to take. But maybe he never has another one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Can't argue with stats, but that is surprising to me, just based on what I saw against the Vikings. As you said in a later post, limited data though and he may need some time, if he stays healthy, to get back into playing shape. I was impressed by a few plays he made, but really noticed that he was doing everything he could to shy away from too much contact, so that could be a problem going forward.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he looked good. Still has speed and was covering close.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought he looked good. Still has speed and was covering close.

Shields was targeted a total of 13 times vs. the Vikings giving up nine receptions for 162 yards and two touchdowns. That's not good by any means.

Reaction score
I wish him well he’s been on a roller coaster career.
I’m also glad we parted ways, I’d would’ve felt lousy if he ended up with more health problems. Time will tell, but I believe GB showed in their actions that player safety is a top priority. I think that’s a great position to take.