Shields to be cut

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man this sucks, I think it was going to happen anyway when they put him on IR. His health is the real issue he's darn near 1 concussion away from having an egg for a brain. I honestly think the guy should retire. He has been nothing but productive for the packers since 2010 the guy is a top tier corner rarely do you see him get out ran. Man :(

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is now a 3 year old article, so a few more names to add, but seems like the Packers have had their fair share of head and neck injuries that prematurely end careers.....especially on the defensive (tackling) side of the ball.

http://www.totalpackers.com/2014/06/green-bay-packers-long-history-neck-injuries/

another article (also old):

CAREER-ENDING NECK INJURIES
Since 1986, 11 Packers' careers have ended due to neck injuries — 13 if Jermichael Finley and Johnny Jolly never return to the NFL. Here's the list:

Player, Position, Injury, Date of injury

Johnathan Franklin, RB, spinal bruise, Nov. 24, 2013

Johnny Jolly, DE, herniated disc, Dec. 15, 2013

Jermichael Finley, TE, herniated disc, Oct. 20, 2013

Nick Collins, S, herniated disc, Sept. 18, 2011

Jeremy Thompson, OLB, spinal trauma*, Dec. 4, 2009

Tony Palmer, G, bone fracture, Sept. 16, 2007

Terrence Murphy, WR, spinal trauma*, Oct. 3, 2005

Gary Berry, S, spinal trauma*, Sept. 31, 2000

Mark Chmura, TE, herniated disc, Sept. 20, 1999

Roland Mitchell, CB, herniated disc, Sept. 4, 1994

Sterling Sharpe, WR, disc looseness, Dec. 24, 1994

Johnny Holland, LB, herniated disc, Jan. 16, 1994

Tim Lewis, CB, spinal trauma*, Sept. 22, 1986

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Shame. He'd have been invaluable this season. Could have gone out with a ring!

If the Packers win the SB, I believe he still could get a ring. I could be wrong, but I think it is at the teams discretion if IR, PS and cut/traded players receive a ring.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man this sucks, I think it was going to happen anyway when they put him on IR. His health is the real issue he's darn near 1 concussion away from having an egg for a brain. I honestly think the guy should retire. He has been nothing but productive for the packers since 2010 the guy is a top tier corner rarely do you see him get out ran. Man :(
getting outrun was never an issue with Shields... he was arguably the fastest man in the NFL when he came out of college. He did often get caught out of position but was able to rely on his speed to recover. His problem has always been durability.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While a lot of Packers fans believe Thompson has been extremely successful in undrafted free agent that is actually a myth. Shields is by far his best signing out of those players.

Shields, Lane Taylor, Joe Thomas, Gunter, Brice, and Allison are all undrafted guys who have helped this team this year. So three guys who are currently starting. 1 guy who was our best db going into the year. A guy who looks like he will stick at safety and another who will stick at wr.

Shields was the best of the bunch but Gunter has had some very good games and I shudder to think where the secondary would be without him. Thomas has improved a ton at ilb. Taylor has been solid and saved the team a bunch of money. I would say that is successful

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Shields, Lane Taylor, Joe Thomas, Gunter, Brice, and Allison are all undrafted guys who have helped this team this year. So three guys who are currently starting. 1 guy who was our best db going into the year. A guy who looks like he will stick at safety and another who will stick at wr.

Shields was the best of the bunch but Gunter has had some very good games and I shudder to think where the secondary would be without him. Thomas has improved a ton at ilb. Taylor has been solid and saved the team a bunch of money. I would say that is successful

None of the guys you mentioned is even close to being in the same ballpark as Shields.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of the guys you mentioned is even close to being in the same ballpark as Shields.

They don't need to be for TT to be successful at finding undrafted guys who help the team.

Shields and then all the other guys is a great success

D

Deleted member 6794

They don't need to be for TT to be successful at finding undrafted guys who help the team.

Shields and then all the other guys is a great success

Let me put it this way, none of the guys you mentioned other than Shields make me believe that Thompson has been more successful in undrafted free agency than other GMs in the league.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me put it this way, none of the guys you mentioned other than Shields make me believe that Thompson has been more successful in undrafted free agency than other GMs in the league.

So you think every team has 3 udfa starting on their team? Taylor isn't a stud be is a fine player. Thomas has solidified the Packers ilb position. Shields was great. Are there a lot of other teams that have 3 of 22 starting spots filled by udfa?

D

Deleted member 6794

So you think every team has 3 udfa starting on their team? Taylor isn't a stud be is a fine player. Thomas has solidified the Packers ilb position. Shields was great. Are there a lot of other teams that have 3 of 22 starting spots filled by udfa?

I don't know and therefore will try to figure it out later in the week.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This post will avoid a disagree with your original post on the subject. I do think TT has been very successful with his UDFA but no, I don't know if he has been any more successful than other GMs. That still doesn't mean his perceived success is a myth it just means he may not be the only one.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually 104 undrafted players started at least eight games for their respective teams this season. Therefore the Packers having two (Taylor and Gunter) is below the league average.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shame. He'd have been invaluable this season. Could have gone out with a ring!

I never understood this. Technically he would've got a ring. What meaning does it have if you didn't contribute towards it? It's like the lefty who gets traded from a WS winning team in July. You still get a ring..but does it mean anything? If I were him, I would've sold it. Too late now.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually 104 undrafted players started at least eight games for their respective teams this season. Therefore the Packers having two (Taylor and Gunter) is below the league average.

Thanks. That is informative. Does that count punters and kickers?

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How could anyone not remember him getting a ring that year. He got the freakin thring tatted across his entire neck. He would get one this year too for being a member of the team. Sitton would not but Shields is still a member of the team. All the IR guys would get one.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
13 Packers have had their careers cut short by head and neck injuries since 1986. How does that stack up against other teams? Seems as of the Packers are just snake bit by the career ending injury. I would have to think that the Packers would have another SB had Jmike and Collins not gone down with neck injuries not to mention Bishop's career ending injury. While other teams get bit by the injury bug, it seems like no team loses more great players to career ending injuries than the Packets in the past 20 years.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understood this. Technically he would've got a ring. What meaning does it have if you didn't contribute towards it? It's like the lefty who gets traded from a WS winning team in July. You still get a ring..but does it mean anything? If I were him, I would've sold it. Too late now.

What are you on about?

I meant him being available can be a game changing difference in the coming match up (and even Dallas). He could have gone out on top with a ring.

As you say, that ring will be a bit hollow this season for him, if does get one.

Members online

Latest posts