Shields to be cut

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was just a formality as far as I was concerned before he was even put on IR.

D

Deleted member 6794

This move was to be expected. It's ery unfortunate for Shields but best for his long-term health.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think article talks about the pot as it was a factor.. I don't believe it was.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion is on the team so is Allison, and probably 60%+ more. i'm sure they could look past it if he was physically able to play again.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah it really is a shame for it to end like this, Shields was a great player for us.

Best of luck to him moving forward. Hope he never picks Rodgers off.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While no move has been made yet, this article could have easily have been written right after Sam was placed on IR and have been just as accurate. No new news with it to me. Guessing Starks and Barclay will be right there with him when the cuts start happening.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While no move has been made yet, this article could have easily have been written right after Sam was placed on IR and have been just as accurate. No new news with it to me. Guessing Starks and Barclay will be right there with him when the cuts start happening.
No.. Starks and Barclay haven't had as many.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Barclay doesn't need to be cut as he will be a free agent in March.
Good point on Barclay....I didn't look up his contract, forgot it was a one year deal....a good thing for that.

I still think someone should be there to open the door for him, oh wait, he is pretty good with being able to swing doors wide open.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields was yet another of TT's amazing free agent finds. The coaching staff did a remarkable job continuing his development as a defensive player. His speed was his best asset. All of his concussions were a real shame for such a talented player, and I hope that he doesn't continue dealing with the after effects too much longer. That said, his lasting memory in my mind is of a player who "answered the door while smoking a blunt, a marijuana-laced cigar, and had another in his pocket." While I don't really care and it actually made me chuckle, that's not the image that the Packers want to convey to their fan base of their team. He would have had to retire or been released this season anyway, I just wish it could have ended differently.

Maybe he'll still get another fancy ring from management before being released.

D

Deleted member 6794

Shields was yet another of TT's amazing free agent finds. The coaching staff did a remarkable job continuing his development as a defensive player.

While a lot of Packers fans believe Thompson has been extremely successful in undrafted free agent that is actually a myth. Shields is by far his best signing out of those players.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Shields took a month or more to recover from his concussion against Dallas last year the writing was already on the wall. If he's smart he'll hang it up and not temp fate with any more concussions. Best of luck to him going forward. Shields was a very good player and decent guy who put the team first.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While a lot of Packers fans believe Thompson has been extremely successful in undrafted free agent that is actually a myth. Shields is by far his best signing out of those players.
Don't forget all of the experts that perpetuate what you call a myth

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a surprise at all that Shields will be cut. I doubt he will ever play another NFL game. Teams are going to be very leery to sign a guy who has had 5 concussions.

Thanks for your contributions Sam but its time to move on.

Members online

Latest posts