Shields and Concussion Protocol

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Shields is out again this weekend so this will be what, 4 weeks now? Now I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but how is this possible?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on where he is it could be his symptoms never stopped, they might be coming back with some light biking, or maybe he's running and waking up with headaches. Without specifics all we can tell is he isn't able to physically exert himself without symptoms returning.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're still learning about concussions. It seems some are different then others, and different people are effected differently. One thing I learned is that you're more vulnerable with each one. Chris Prongersuffered a concussion 4 1/2 years ago. It didn't even seem like a hard hit, yet he never played again, and to this day suffers from blurred vision, headaches and memory loss.
We can only hope for the best.
Depending on where he is it could be his symptoms never stopped, they might be coming back with some light biking, or maybe he's running and waking up with headaches. Without specifics all we can tell is he isn't able to physically exert himself without symptoms returning.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luke Kuechly missed 3 1/2 games

I was talking about it because I find it concerning for his health, just seems like a really long time to be dealing with the concussion symptoms. I more concerned for his actual health than whether he is able to play or not.

The other things it makes me think of is wondering how many times I had a concussion when playing football in high school. The amount of time my bell was rung on a collision and continued playing is at the rate of at least 2-5 a game.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This obviously isn't good news for Shields now or his future prospects since he'll likely be more susceptible to being concussed again. I would guess the more severe the concussion the greater the susceptibility but as PackerDNA posted, we're still learning about concussions. From the less important football point of view, Thompson's use of the first two picks in the last draft looks prescient.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This obviously isn't good news for Shields now or his future prospects since he'll likely be more susceptible to being concussed again. I would guess the more severe the concussion the greater the susceptibility but as PackerDNA posted, we're still learning about concussions. From the less important football point of view, Thompson's use of the first two picks in the last draft looks prescient.

Ya, his overall health was my main concern. As far as the picks go, I was a bit concerned with using both picks on DB's but not only does it look prescient, so far it looks like they may have been two pretty solid picks.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was talking about it because I find it concerning for his health, just seems like a really long time to be dealing with the concussion symptoms. I more concerned for his actual health than whether he is able to play or not.

The other things it makes me think of is wondering how many times I had a concussion when playing football in high school. The amount of time my bell was rung on a collision and continued playing is at the rate of at least 2-5 a game.

Yeah I know..

But I was surprised Luke missed that many games and seems to be fine..

I am pretty sure I had 3 concussions..One as a kid, I was flipped onto a cement block and was knocked out...Came to in the nurse's office at school....Then in wrestling was flipped off mat onto hard floor..again knocked out, came to while running laps..Last timewas hit by forktruck..Knocked out and came to in bathrooms that were 100 yards from where I got hit.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't become a career ending injury or affect him in future seasons.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda weird that he is having so many problems and yet never looked to have lost consciousness after the hit to the ground.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no such thing as degrees in concussions. There's no severe or moderate concussion, it's just a concussion. Whether you lose consciousness or not doesn't really affect how long it takes a particular person to get over a concussion. Just so happens that Shields is taking a while to get over it. Doubt it's anything that will adversely affect him next year outside of increasing his susceptibility to future concussions (wonder how long it will be before that factor is accounted for when discussing contracts).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anybody seen any follow-up articles regarding Sam Shields? I assume that he's better but his late-season concussion really seemed to affect him, so I wonder if he's had any long term or lingering effects.