Sherrod

packersfan152

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I read the other day that Sherrod was in for a couple plays last game. What are the chances he picks up some playing time these last couple of weeks at RT and potentially gives us a boost for next year with the book ends we've needed for years?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why the Packers wouldn't play him a series or two a game. Obviously Don Barclay isn't the future at right tackle. Marshall Newhouse may be the worst offensive lineman in the league. Why not see what Sherrod can offer.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM's typical loyalty BS on display again. Though it contradicts his "can't lose a job to injury" crap. When a guy plays as bad as Newhouse does you have to explore all options....and in the game. MM will just roll out his usual company lines about Newhouse giving them the best chance to win, earning the right to play, practicing well....blah blah blah.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I like to know why or how they know it is loyalty?

Wish to god I could spill crap I know, some people here would really be speechless

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why the Packers wouldn't play him a series or two a game. Obviously Don Barclay isn't the future at right tackle. Marshall Newhouse may be the worst offensive lineman in the league. Why not see what Sherrod can offer.

Sherrod was out of football for two years and couldn't exercise his leg. He plays a position that requires phenomenal lower body strength. While he may be healthy, it's optimistic to think he'd be in proper shape to play this year. Give the guy a year to get his strength and wind back before throwing him to the wolves.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Sherrod was out of football for two years and couldn't exercise his leg. He plays a position that requires phenomenal lower body strength. While he may be healthy, it's optimistic to think he'd be in proper shape to play this year. Give the guy a year to get his strength and wind back before throwing him to the wolves.
On the other hand, when a guy is medically cleared to play you play him.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
On the flip side of that coin though, Sherrod is essentially a rookie -- and a rookie OT at that (a rookie in the sense that he's been out so much with injury, that he may or may not be an upgrade from Newhouse (who IS poor) at this stage of his career. Grinds my beans that we've got Bulaga (again) and Sherrod out -- two HUGE guys, both 1st rounders ... and our QB1 goes down because neither can stay on the field long enough to make a real difference. Bakhtiari has been a pleasant surprise (save Thanksgiving Day, but that applies to everyone on the roster and sideline) -- I like this guy's attitude -- he's going to be around a while. After the Thanksgiving Day debacle, the Journal-Sentinal offered up this quote:

"Bakhtiari said his run blocking was inconsistent as well. He also refuted the notion that he was tired after having played 94 snaps four days earlier against the Vikings.

"No excuses. No excuses," he said. "It's not fatigued at all. It's blocking and execution."

As Bakhtiari zipped up his travel bag, he paused to consider what would be important for him in the final month.

"Best thing you want to do in a roomful of negativity is find some positives and you can grow from it," he said. "This is a growing experience.""

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...back-b99152209z1-233800351.html#ixzz2msjxJzBl http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=dGsdbm88mr4OI0acwqm_6l&u=JournalSentinel

Point is that I have a feeling that Sherrod, at this point anyway, would be chasing defenders from behind or grasping at defenders as they run by - the kid needs full 'camp' and OTA time. It's his lack of practice with his footwork that will kill him.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like to know why or how they know it is loyalty?

Wish to god I could spill crap I know, some people here would really be speechless
I would love to know why Newhouse is #1 on the roster and #2 ever allowed to actually play in a game when he is terrible.....and we wouldn't even be having the Newhouse discussion if he didn't allow for his leg to be destroyed 2 years ago.

I would rather see Lane Taylor in the game...I would rather see whomever is on the practice squad get to play...I would rather some street free agent play over him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, when a guy is medically cleared to play you play him.

Assuming this is a veiled shot at me saying that about rodgers? I hope you were just trying to be combative and snarky and you actually understand the difference between the two circumstances, right?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm talking like two series in a row, not whole game. Give him a chance to pass block a few times.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking like two series in a row, not whole game. Give him a chance to pass block a few times.

He's played a few snaps each game on the kicking team. Our QB depth is a little weak right now and we're fighting for a playoff spot. Now isn't the best time to try experimenting with the oline. I'm sure they give him plenty of reps in practice.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was veiled... pretty direct

Yeah,I was attempting to give him the benefit of the doubt on a comment that was obviously poorly thought out. I did notice you agreed with it though, so maybe the difference between a broken clavicle and a broken tibia/fibula isn't as obvious as I thought. I assumed that pretty much anyone could tell that one is FAR more catastrophic than the other, but that's what you get for assuming. Rather than explain it in detail I'll just note that Rodgers shoulder doesn't have to support five to six hundred pounds of pressure on every play.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he isn't recovered or back up to game speed/strength then why wouldn't they IR him? Roster spots are valuable and there might be someone out there that is serviceable off another squad. Wasn't Barclay brought in off the street last year?

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres no reason why Sherrod cant play in games. If he werent able to play they wouldnt be taking a roster spot for him. Especially as thin as they are on the O-line. I hope they work him in more each week. Get him some game experience and lets see what he can do.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I normally trust our guys on this kind of thing, but I have to agree with the general consensus on Newhouse. I can't understand why he's still on the roster. He's one of the worst offensive lineman I've ever seen. He's going to get someone killed.

I'm hoping that Tretter is activated before Tuesday and Newhouse gets the ax. Then we could could have Tretter back up EDS at C and Sherrod and Taylor can back up at tackle rather than having to shuffle Lang around to accommodate. Lang is a good guard, but a lousy center.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Assuming this is a veiled shot at me saying that about rodgers? I hope you were just trying to be combative and snarky and you actually understand the difference between the two circumstances, right?
You're just always pissy aren't you? I was pointing out that if Sherrod is medically cleared, you play the man. That's his job. He plays football. Someone else could go down on the OLine and where do you get the next guy. That's all Sunshine. Just my opinion. Have a Coke and a smile.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're just always pissy aren't you? I was pointing out that if Sherrod is medically cleared, you play the man. That's his job. He plays football. Someone else could go down on the OLine and where do you get the next guy. That's all Sunshine. Just my opinion. Have a Coke and a smile.

No, it appeared to be a shot. Heck, if you look above you another poster even said it wasn't veiled at all.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume MM knows that winning is the only thing that guarantees his job, so I suspect he's playing every player that gives him job security--this year and in the future.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm presuming he was exercising his leg plenty during rehab, as well as the rest of his body and mind.
I have heard that he has played some on special teams, I don't know if that is fact.
All I know is, I would like to see Sherrod play a meaningful number of snaps on the o-line during the remainder of this season.
Maybe I'm being selfish but I want to see what his guy has got.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts