SHERMAN FIRED!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
3,371
Reaction score
1
Location
Omaha, NE
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5214572

Sherman, Martz fired
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 4 minutes ago



Black Monday has struck in Green Bay.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Packers have fired head coach Mike Sherman. General Manager Ted Thompson informed his coach that the franchise was heading in another direction early this morning.
The move comes one day after the Packers took a 23-17 win over the Seattle Seahawks, albeit a Seahawks team that was resting for the playoff run. The win left the Packers with a 4-12 season, which ties for their worst record since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978.

Green Bay will move swiftly to begin interviewing candidates to replace him including Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress and former Packers' first-round pick and Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

In Sherman's six seasons as coach, in which he amassed a 57-39 record, he helped the Packers win three NFC North Division titles. He also won two of the six playoff games the team played in under his direction.

With injuries decimating the Packers this year, Sherman was never able to get his team out of the injury-bug rut. Despite the fact that Brett Favre was physically able to lead the troops, his surrounding cast looked terrible at times.

How this move affects Favre's decision is unknown. Does he wait around to see who the next coach is and if so, does he want to play in a new regime? At the same time, does playing for a new coach re-energize the future Hall Of Famer?

The team is expected to announce the move later today.
 

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
2,253
Reaction score
2
Location
North Dakota
You beat me to the punch RY! I was just going to start this thread as well. I have mixed feelings about it only because I'm afraid Favre might be closer to retiring because of it.
 

Ryan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
3,371
Reaction score
1
Location
Omaha, NE
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about Favre... Guess after all the speculation, we can only wait and see what he decides.
 

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
2,253
Reaction score
2
Location
North Dakota
I hope Bates stays on as DC but if the Packers have to make a choice to promote him or lose him, welcome Head Coach Bates.
 

Ryan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
3,371
Reaction score
1
Location
Omaha, NE
NDPackerFan said:
I hope Bates stays on as DC but if the Packers have to make a choice to promote him or lose him, welcome Head Coach Bates.
Exactly what I think ND. He obviously has been a good DC this year (an in Miami) but if he is promoted to HC he will lose some touch with the D as he will just be spread that much more thin. However if it's HC or the Highway I would like to see him have a chance at HC.

Edit - Moved post to a sticky as I'm sure it's going to have a lot of action :)
 

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
1,086
Reaction score
0
Location
Fontana, CA
Wow. I knew it could happen but didn't really think it would. Guess he should have kept the GM job eh? Can't fire yourself! Looks a lot bleaker for the Favre watch now...

Hmm - Tice is available :lol: :lol:

I like the Fisher idea though. He's a good coach in the Cowher tradition... Going to be an interesting off-season for sure.
 

wpr

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
0
Well I guess [email protected] got his wish! Congrats buddy. With Politics being out and SherRossley a dead issue, what is going to fill the void for you this off season?

Hey Ryan, thanks for the broadcast email on this topic. I wouldn't have heard this for a couple of hrs if you hadn't sent it.
 

wpr

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
0
PackerChick said:
wpr said:
Well I guess [email protected] got his wish! Congrats buddy. With Politics being out and SherRossley a dead issue, what is going to fill the void for you this off season?

[email protected] will be lost in the offseason. What will his obsession be now?
Let's all chip in a find him one for the new year. Actually I am confident he will bounce back and find something else to fill his days.
 

Ryan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
3,371
Reaction score
1
Location
Omaha, NE
wpr said:
Hey Ryan, thanks for the broadcast email on this topic. I wouldn't have heard this for a couple of hrs if you hadn't sent it.

You bet wpr, glad to help out!
 

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
1,086
Reaction score
0
Location
Fontana, CA
Ryan said:
wpr said:
Hey Ryan, thanks for the broadcast email on this topic. I wouldn't have heard this for a couple of hrs if you hadn't sent it.

You bet wpr, glad to help out!

Ditto on that Ryan, thanks! My Blackberry started chirping and I called my wife at work right away. Nice job!
 

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
0
Location
Boston, MA
Wow, that's too bad. I didn't really think he was going to be fired. TT gave him a test run this season and Sherman flopped.

I like the idea of going after Childress and Tim Lewis. Favre might stay under Childress. If he doesn't we have someone who has established themselves as a good offensive mind.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bates in there either.
 

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
3,143
Reaction score
1
Location
Ashland, WI
hes going to talk to the assistants individually in the coming time to see what their plans are. I hope he dosent keep Rossley. Bates fine. Kind of surprised Sherman would be gone. WOW. The Packers played better than their record showed. Now lets see about Brett.
 

skibum55

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
181
Reaction score
7
Location
Alexandria, VA
PackinSteel said:
Wow. I knew it could happen but didn't really think it would. Guess he should have kept the GM job eh? Can't fire yourself! Looks a lot bleaker for the Favre watch now...

Hmm - Tice is available :lol: :lol:

I like the Fisher idea though. He's a good coach in the Cowher tradition... Going to be an interesting off-season for sure.

So is Mike Martz... also heard on ESPN is morning that Kirk Ferentz at Iowa would be a possibility as well.
 

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
3,143
Reaction score
1
Location
Ashland, WI
skibum55 said:
PackinSteel said:
Wow. I knew it could happen but didn't really think it would. Guess he should have kept the GM job eh? Can't fire yourself! Looks a lot bleaker for the Favre watch now...

Hmm - Tice is available :lol: :lol:

I like the Fisher idea though. He's a good coach in the Cowher tradition... Going to be an interesting off-season for sure.

So is Mike Martz... also heard on ESPN is morning that Kirk Ferentz at Iowa would be a possibility as well.

but please not Mike Tice.
 

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
3,143
Reaction score
1
Location
Ashland, WI
wpr said:
PackerChick said:
I hope he dosent keep Rossley.

Aww come on now. Let's start a "We want Rossley as HC" petition. We need to keep [email protected] all fired up. :wink:

surely that will keep the dialogue running. but please no rossley. we need to keep an eye on favre now. will he come back? otherwise, its a long road back that will take many years. Hopefully Jim Bates will be considered.
 

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
Thanx Ryan for the message. Rec'd it just in time to catch TT's announcement. Heard his brief statement and then just turned it off. Is really kind of sad. For me, it tarnished yesterday's win and the game-ending Favre hoopla.

Suppose TT knows what he's doing, but for me it's just a clear sign the ride is really over. And what a fun ride it was.
 

cheesey

Cheesehead
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
1,000
Reaction score
3
Location
Wisconsin
Yup!!! THANKS RYAN!
At first i thought it was some kind of a joke......guess not! I tried to go to the Packers site, and couldn't get in.
Mike Tice..............wonder if HE'S calling TT???? :wink:
 

Members online

Latest posts

Top