Shea McClellin

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower might go to the Steelers but several recent mock drafts I've seen show him still being available at # 28.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower might go to the Steelers but several recent mock drafts I've seen show him still being available at # 28.

Hightower looks like he could be an impact player from day 1. The real deal. McClellan might still be there at #59 too.

Hightower could either take Hawk's starting position away from him or could jump in at OLB.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like McClellin but I don't think Thompson should pick him at #28. Part of drafting well in the NFL is getting value at each pick, meaning Thompson could trade down in the 2nd round, get an extra pick and select McClellin there. He should be available in the early to mid 2nd round. Of course things can change from now till draft time(his stock may go up more) and McClellin looks like a very solid and safe pick.

Everything I read about this kid says he lacks "elite" athleticism. I worry about using a 1st rounder on a guy who is deemed to lack in this area, would prefer we got someone who has the tools to be something special.

I know there are plenty of "high effort/low athleticism" guys who are good NFL players, but I don't think many of them are taken in the first round. That said...his stock is rising apparently and he could be taken at the end of the first.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like this guy! Especially his versatility intrigues me, because Capers NEEDS
our OLBs to have good cover-skills if he wants to run all his schemes. One-trick pony = BUST

But........we can't draft him!!
His grandmother believes this blond, burly 6-foot-3, 260-pounder has "Viking" descent because, well, the Vikings raided Scotland
Grandma knows more than she lets on!!! Trust me!!!
The Vikings were an expansion-team in 1961. We don't know where they've been before.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
His Grandma also hopes he ends up with the Packers. If we could somehow grab this guy in the 2nd, that would be amazing!

topmark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hightower looks like he could be an impact player from day 1. The real deal. McClellan might still be there at #59 too.

Hightower could either take Hawk's starting position away from him or could jump in at OLB.

That is complete BS. Hightower has very poor agility, he will be a liability in coverage. 4.68 Short shuttle, 7.55 3-cone, that is very poor for a LB.
Hawk performed better than a lot of other players on the Packers defense.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is complete BS. Hightower has very poor agility, he will be a liability in coverage. 4.68 Short shuttle, 7.55 3-cone, that is very poor for a LB.

4,68 is impressive for a LB his size, give me a break. If you think he's not that good maybe you ought to consult a few scouting reports on him. I pick this one as one of the latest:

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/ilb/donta-hightower/

Hightower has proven effective as a edge rusher and could be used in that regard opposite Clay. Also as I said, getting someon like McClellan or Irvin in round 2 would be a great combination of ILB and OLB.

And your comment about Hawk truly makes me LOL. Hawk is a liability in both coverage AND on the run. THe only reason why Hawk was on the field last year is because he had the headset and knows the defense. DJ Smith and Francois outplayed him when he was out. Hawk was late to everything.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The guy I would really like us to get at #28 is Dont'a Hightower. He is extremely solid, and has shown that he can play both ILB and OLB. We may have to trade up a few to get him, to about #24 I'm guessing. He would give us great flexibility at LB. We could always draft someone like Bruce Irvin in round 2 as an OLB, or Kendall Reyes at DE.

I'm just sorta wondering what a LB group of Matthews, Bishop, Hightower and Irvin would be like :)

You Sir, dare to dream, but such a sweet dream it is

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...h_who_starts_for_the_packers_in_2012/10409479

http://greenandgoldtickets.com/news/packers-might-cut-a.j.-hawk-in-2012/

Hawk has horrible this season, and it's only going to get worse. Put him on the trade block, and ask for a 3. probably going to post this in a Hawk thread... He would make a decent enough back-up though if only we didn pay him so much. #capcasualty

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

After reading this line from the second link you posted, I couldn't take that tiny article seriously. Both paragraphs sound like they were written by a middle schooler:

Green and Gold Tickets said:
Do you remember the Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk? He was once a rising star on the Green Bay Packers defensive line, but has recently fallen off the radar

Link: http://greenandgoldtickets.com/news/packers-might-cut-a.j.-hawk-in-2012/

topmark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...h_who_starts_for_the_packers_in_2012/10409479

http://greenandgoldtickets.com/news/packers-might-cut-a.j.-hawk-in-2012/

Hawk has horrible this season, and it's only going to get worse. Put him on the trade block, and ask for a 3. probably going to post this in a Hawk thread... He would make a decent enough back-up though if only we didn pay him so much. #capcasualty

Childish hit pieces on Hawk. Raji was far worse than Hawk.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142086283.html?page=1
The Packers' defense didn't take a step back solely due to the loss of Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. Some of their best players didn't play at their 2010 form. In a recent study by ProFootballFocus.com, B.J. Raji ranked 46th of 46 interior defensive linemen who played at least 200 snaps in run defense. Raji played plenty of end, as the article notes, but had a run-stop percentage of 2.4%.

The GB DLine and the secondary was far worse than the LBs . The DLine couldn't stop the run, couldn't get any pass rush, and the secondary was beyond awful, they couldn't cover anybody. And who gets the blame? Hawk. LOL

In the loss to the Giants, it wasn't Hawk who gave up the first TD, it was the awful secondary.
In the loss to the Giants, it wasn't Hawk who gave up the Hail Mary, it was the awful secondary.
It wasn't Hawk who dropped numerous passes.
It wasn't Hawk who fumbled the ball in the 4th quarter inside the Packers part of the field, it was Grant. That fumble led to a TD for the Giants from the 4yard line, and put the Packers in a huge hole, down 3 scores with less than 7min remaining, all but sealing the loss. And who gets the blame? Hawk.

topmark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4,68 is impressive for a LB his size, give me a break. If you think he's not that good maybe you ought to consult a few scouting reports on him. I pick this one as one of the latest:

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/ilb/donta-hightower/

Hightower has proven effective as a edge rusher and could be used in that regard opposite Clay. Also as I said, getting someon like McClellan or Irvin in round 2 would be a great combination of ILB and OLB.

And your comment about Hawk truly makes me LOL. Hawk is a liability in both coverage AND on the run. THe only reason why Hawk was on the field last year is because he had the headset and knows the defense. DJ Smith and Francois outplayed him when he was out. Hawk was late to everything.

Those agility numbers are NOT impressive for a LB, they are horrible. Many OLs, 300lbs players, had better agility numbers than Hightower. And Hightower refused to do the agility drills at the combine, because he knew how horrible those numbers would appear compared with other LBs. There are plenty of scouts who have reported that he is not a sideline to sideline LB, and he will be a liability in coverage. Hawk is better as a every down LB than Hightower.

Hawk was not the problem with the GB defense last year. The problems were the awful DLine "led" by an awful Raji, and the awful secondary who couldn't cover anybody. Not much the LBs could do, when the DLine couldn't get any push and the secondary couldn't cover anybody. Opposing QBs would just throw over the LBs to their open receivers, and that was that.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Childish hit pieces on Hawk. Raji was far worse than Hawk.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142086283.html?page=1
The Packers' defense didn't take a step back solely due to the loss of Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. Some of their best players didn't play at their 2010 form. In a recent study by ProFootballFocus.com, B.J. Raji ranked 46th of 46 interior defensive linemen who played at least 200 snaps in run defense. Raji played plenty of end, as the article notes, but had a run-stop percentage of 2.4%.

The GB DLine and the secondary was far worse than the LBs . The DLine couldn't stop the run, couldn't get any pass rush, and the secondary was beyond awful, they couldn't cover anybody. And who gets the blame? Hawk. LOL

In the loss to the Giants, it wasn't Hawk who gave up the first TD, it was the awful secondary.
In the loss to the Giants, it wasn't Hawk who gave up the Hail Mary, it was the awful secondary.
It wasn't Hawk who dropped numerous passes.
It wasn't Hawk who fumbled the ball in the 4th quarter inside the Packers part of the field, it was Grant. That fumble led to a TD for the Giants from the 4yard line, and put the Packers in a huge hole, down 3 scores with less than 7min remaining, all but sealing the loss. And who gets the blame? Hawk.

Hawk was not the problem
I think you mean Hawk was not the ONLY problem. The same secondary you probably praised in 2010 for winning a superbowl, with one major difference, Nick Collins was out, so Peprah got exposed, and it seems that Williams and Shields just gave up. CM3 got double and even triple teamed all year, the journeymen at olb were ineffective and hawk WAS a major issue. YES, our Dline was practically non-existant,. I believe that the 3-4 line should focus on the run, not the sack, but Raji didn do either. though that may have been a result of the pieces around him, or the fact that he never was an every down guy. Our Oline left an open door to Rodgers blind side, Finley couldn catch a ball if his contract depended on it (pun intended). One thing to look at with your criticism is that GRANT IS GONE. I thought Peprah was a liability last year, I was simply proven right this year. Finley just doesn't play well in his contract year from what I hear, so barring the madden curse on Rodgers, we should see an improvement this year otherwise in two years it's likely he too will be gone. Peprah (upon whom I levy the blame of the secondary) must go, Hawk must go. Grant Walden Green Peprah. RB OLB DL S. Newhouse would probably do better at guard, and we'll have to wait to see with Sherrod. we had a great record, but as the year went on, and teams realized our soft spots,you could honestly say that we just had a bad year. Stop focusing on 1 game where we hadn't played for two, rust inducing weeks. yes, you did **** me off, and I may very well be the biggest idiot here.
Wait, wasn this thread about Shea? We really should take this elsewhere...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like this guy! Especially his versatility intrigues me, because Capers NEEDS
our OLBs to have good cover-skills if he wants to run all his schemes. One-trick pony = BUST

But........we can't draft him!!

Grandma knows more than she lets on!!! Trust me!!!
The Vikings were an expansion-team in 1961. We don't know where they've been before.

http://packersinsider.com/2012/04/packers-1st-round-target-olb-shea-mcclellin/

Also, from NFL Draft Scout/CBS Sportsline:
32 Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State: McClellin made a name for himself as a terror off the edge for the Broncos (20.5 career sacks) but it wasn't until he made the move to outside linebacker at the Senior Bowl that his true versatility was shown. Possessing the athleticism, technique and work ethic necessary to be successful in any scheme, McClellin is quietly among the safer prospects in the 2012 draft.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the draft day approaches McClellan does keep looking better and better. I'm now pretty much in agreement that he won't be there past the first round.

If we take McClellan in the 1st it would be nice to get a solid DL in the second. Would have been nice to land Jerel Worthy but he's looking more like a 1st rounder-early second rounder too. Chandler Jones has been getting a lot of attention lately so I won't expect him to be there in the 2nd. Plus there's a few opinions that Jones is being way overrated. Maybe Kendall Reyes?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
One thing to point out about Mclellan is that the Broncos have a very solid defensive line. If you have a good defensive line doing their job, your linebackers will typically have an easier time doing theirs.

This is a reason I've been taking a liking to their Defensive Tackle, Billy Winn who's responsibilities of eating up blockers and collapsing the pocket would be great for us.

To be honest, next week we'll see more clearly who will be around when we pick. I just hope it's someone who can come in and be a playmaker for us. I'm still holding out for Mercilus because I really like him both as a player and as a person seems like he brings a lot of good character qualities and his stats show he's a playmaker. You can have a lot of good players on your team, but having a playmaker that can get sacks and force fumbles like they are going out of style, it's going to help you win games.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing to point out about Mclellan is that the Broncos have a very solid defensive line. If you have a good defensive line doing their job, your linebackers will typically have an easier time doing theirs.

This is a reason I've been taking a liking to their Defensive Tackle, Billy Winn who's responsibilities of eating up blockers and collapsing the pocket would be great for us.

To be honest, next week we'll see more clearly who will be around when we pick. I just hope it's someone who can come in and be a playmaker for us. I'm still holding out for Mercilus because I really like him both as a player and as a person seems like he brings a lot of good character qualities and his stats show he's a playmaker. You can have a lot of good players on your team, but having a playmaker that can get sacks and force fumbles like they are going out of style, it's going to help you win games.
Very important attributes for Teddy Thompson.
The thing that Teddy does, has done, best IMO is take guys with much higher character as people than ANY other team in the NFL.

Only Johnny Jolly turned out to be a thug.
Walden had one incident that I don't think was much in all honestly.
Brandon Underwood was just a ***** idiot.

But compared to all the other teams, I think Teddy has done the best job in this area.
Look at our WRs. No diva's.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is guy is FLYING up draft boards right now. Per Kiper's latest mock draft, he's going to New England at #27.
Both Bengals and Browns have 2 1st rd picks. Give one of them our 4th rd pick and move upto either 17,21 or 22 to get McClellin. Although Poe has fallen a little I think he to will be a beast

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McClellin is about 20 pounds heavier than Matthews is, combine-performance wise.
His 40-time was identical, while his shuttle and 3-cone were slightly less. But remember he's a bigger man, 20 pounds is a lot.
While he may not be quite as agile as Clay was, remember Clay is ultra-special.

Brooks Reed had a very fine rookie season for the Texans, including some big plays in the playoffs.
Many wanted us to take him last year and many still say we should have.

Shea's numbers are almost identical to Reed's.
Don't be fooled by the position that Shea had to play at Boise. What you should be is impressed that he was able to still be so productive.... he's very versatile, and willing. As Clay was at USC.
From NFL Draft Scout (combine results):

Shea McClellin (2012)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/4, 260
40-yard dash: 4.63
Shuttle: 4.33
3-cone: 7.07
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70853&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

Clay Matthews (2009)
#3-rated OLB
6-3 1/8, 240
40-yard dash: 4.62
Shuttle: 4.18
3-cone: 6.90
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57020&draftyear=2009&genpos=

Brooks Reed (2011)
#3-rated OLB
6-2 1/2, 263
40-yard dash: 4.65
Shuttle: 4.28
3-cone: 7.11
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74933&draftyear=2011&genpos=OLB

More on McClellin:

Plays fast with very good football quickness and agile footwork. A high effort and energy rusher who plays with obvious passion and intensity -- relentless and tenacious motor. Fast in pursuit with good chase skills to track down the action. Good get-off momentum and anticipation -- instinctive defender who locates the ball quickly. Extremely active and plays with an aggressive playing nature and attitude -- self-starter and strong finisher. Country strong and very physical, welcoming contact. Fights and works hard to find a way to beat blockers -- disruptive with a nose for the ball. Versatile defensive player with experience at LB, DE and other hybrid front-seven positions. A creative pass rusher, using a variety of moves and techniques to create pressure. Tough and durable with a productive collegiate resume (33.0 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks), starting the final 37 games of his career in Boise.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1274370/shea-mcclellin

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
But compared to all the other teams, I think Teddy has done the best job in this area.
Look at our WRs. No diva's.

It's easy to not be a diva when you have an Ace Quarterback and your offense is like 95% pass.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts