Shareholder Meeting

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO! NO! NO! No ketchup! Do you put ketchup on a steak? Do you put it on lobster? How about shrimp? Crab legs? It's blasphemy!

You don't try to hide the scrumptious flavor of a good Sheboygan style brat with ketchup. You enhance it with condiments.

Germans don't put ketchup on their brats. Only "some" Wisconsinites do. But, if you share your brats, I'll forgive you. :)

Chicago? Actually, I was a cop in that neck of the woods. I will admit that I learned to love Vienna sausages nearly as much as brats, but not quite as much. When you've got the Vienna stands everywhere you look, and you're hungry, you begin acquiring a taste for them.
What about ketchup on fries?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know about the seven-member EC. Are these football people, business people, both? In other words, can we trust them to replace Murphy if things go downhill?
The EC is made up of business people. It was a retired judge who hired Wolf and kept out of football affairs. But he did make the error of giving Sherman both HC and GM jobs. Thankfully that was corrected.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not everyone likes sauerkraut. There's some I like, others I don't. I'm a Bavarian sauerkraut type. The rest don't cut it to me. I think that's because when I was a kid, my Grandmother, and Mother both made the German/Bavarian type.

As long as you're not putting ketchup on any sausages you can still come into our club house. :)
Is mustard ok?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The EC is made up of business people. It was a retired judge who hired Wolf and kept out of football affairs. But he did make the error of giving Sherman both HC and GM jobs. Thankfully that was corrected.
Forgot about that. Sherman was an ok HC but devolved when he added GM. As you say, it was quickly changed.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think combining the GM and HC role is a huge mistake. It removes the devil's advocate from being part of the equation. I thought it was what led to Sherman's downfall to be honest. As a coach, he probably would have been fine, but because he was not seeing things from a different perspective as the GM, he was doing nothing but satisfying his own beliefs without anyone holding up red flags.

Of course people will point at New England, and show how it worked, but I'd bet that in the background were budget crunchers and people working to keep Bill B. on course. Plus, having a QB that was never going to leave didn't hurt either. Not going so good for him now, as we can all see.

Yes. Mustand on brats is good. Chicago hot dogs? Ho-hum! They don't show me squat! It's really about how they're decked out. But, Vienna sausages? That's a completely different breed of cat. The only thing above them are Wisconsin brats.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think combining the GM and HC role is a huge mistake. It removes the devil's advocate from being part of the equation. I thought it was what led to Sherman's downfall to be honest. As a coach, he probably would have been fine, but because he was not seeing things from a different perspective as the GM, he was doing nothing but satisfying his own beliefs without anyone holding up red flags.

Of course people will point at New England, and show how it worked, but I'd bet that in the background were budget crunchers and people working to keep Bill B. on course. Plus, having a QB that was never going to leave didn't hurt either. Not going so good for him now, as we can all see.

Yes. Mustand on brats is good. Chicago hot dogs? Ho-hum! They don't show me squat! It's really about how they're decked out. But, Vienna sausages? That's a completely different breed of cat. The only thing above them are Wisconsin brats.
Totally agreed on brats. We lived in CA for 18 years. They get sushi. Brats? Inedible.

And yeah, combining GM and HC is a fool's errand. From a time management standpoint it doesn't work. And the person is in the position of validating their own work. Not good. BB pulls it off for the reasons you mention.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady went to an absolutely stacked team while Bill had to retool a depleted team without a QB. in year 2 they were back in the playoffs with a rookie QB. I think he's doing ok.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've met Mark Murphy twice, both times while touring someone through the new Hall of Fame. Seems like a nice guy to me. Nobody forces him to come out and interact with Joe Public.

The thing about Starr was, well, he was freakin' Bart Starr! We loved him even if he really had no coaching experience. Dan Devine treated him like garbage, and left him a bare cupboard. You combine those things and it's easy to see why Bart got a longer leash than others.

As to the ketchup thing, to each their own. Nobody has any business telling someone else what they can and can't put on food. In my world, brats & sausages generally get mustard and hotdogs get ketchup. It works for me. Now.....

Back in 1999, a group of us went to the Wisconsin/UCLA Rose Bowl game. We had the UW package, which included pep rallies and tailgating. At one pep rally next to the hotel, they had all kinds of food and beer. I went to get a brat, took a bite, and uncontrollably spit it out right onto the ground. The serving lady had a look of horror on her face. I asked her how they cooked these things, to which she replied that the '...boiled them in pickle juice.' I shook my head and left (after picking up my spittings).

That same trip, they had a pep rally on the Santa Monica pier with the marching band, etc. I still have the news paper clipping from the next morning. It made the news that the "thirsty Wisconsinites" quickly descended upon all of the bars along the Santa Monica pier after the pep rally ended. They drank so much beer that every bar ran out of beer. Those bars started calling bars up and down the coast, begging to borrow kegs of beer to satisfy their thirsty customers. The article noted that most bars in Los Angeles only carry limited beer offerings compared to those in Wisconsin, and thus were not prepared.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yeah, combining GM and HC is a fool's errand. From a time management standpoint it doesn't work. And the person is in the position of validating their own work. Not good. BB pulls it off for the reasons you mention.
It can work. What it takes is a person who understands time management, how to delegate, and most importantly what he is good at doing. I have no problem with a HC being the GM if he confines his roll mostly to making the drafting & player acquisition decisions. Assuming he assembles a quality scouting staff, pawns off the financial side to a Russ Ball-type, and keeps most of his focus on being the HC it can work. A GM really does have a lot to do, but the beauty is that you can tailor NFL jobs in any way necessary.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady went to an absolutely stacked team while Bill had to retool a depleted team without a QB. in year 2 they were back in the playoffs with a rookie QB. I think he's doing ok.
Agreed. The Pats had one down year post-Brady. Then they drafted Jones and BB worked his other magic and they're back in the playoffs. Love him or hate him, BB gets the job done.
It can work. What it takes is a person who understands time management, how to delegate, and most importantly what he is good at doing. I have no problem with a HC being the GM if he confines his roll mostly to making the drafting & player acquisition decisions. Assuming he assembles a quality scouting staff, pawns off the financial side to a Russ Ball-type, and keeps most of his focus on being the HC it can work. A GM really does have a lot to do, but the beauty is that you can tailor NFL jobs in any way necessary.
Those are good points. I'll add that it can work if the team has good coordinators - O, D, and STs - so the GM/HC can focus on personnel.

That said, it would be a brutally hard job, even with good assistants and with good delegation. My preference is to keep them separate, but again, who will argue about BB's 6 SB rings.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've met Mark Murphy twice, both times while touring someone through the new Hall of Fame. Seems like a nice guy to me. Nobody forces him to come out and interact with Joe Public.

The thing about Starr was, well, he was freakin' Bart Starr! We loved him even if he really had no coaching experience. Dan Devine treated him like garbage, and left him a bare cupboard. You combine those things and it's easy to see why Bart got a longer leash than others.

As to the ketchup thing, to each their own. Nobody has any business telling someone else what they can and can't put on food. In my world, brats & sausages generally get mustard and hotdogs get ketchup. It works for me. Now.....

Back in 1999, a group of us went to the Wisconsin/UCLA Rose Bowl game. We had the UW package, which included pep rallies and tailgating. At one pep rally next to the hotel, they had all kinds of food and beer. I went to get a brat, took a bite, and uncontrollably spit it out right onto the ground. The serving lady had a look of horror on her face. I asked her how they cooked these things, to which she replied that the '...boiled them in pickle juice.' I shook my head and left (after picking up my spittings).

That same trip, they had a pep rally on the Santa Monica pier with the marching band, etc. I still have the news paper clipping from the next morning. It made the news that the "thirsty Wisconsinites" quickly descended upon all of the bars along the Santa Monica pier after the pep rally ended. They drank so much beer that every bar ran out of beer. Those bars started calling bars up and down the coast, begging to borrow kegs of beer to satisfy their thirsty customers. The article noted that most bars in Los Angeles only carry limited beer offerings compared to those in Wisconsin, and thus were not prepared.
Thanks for the info on Mark Murphy. I think about him now in a better light. Any exec who will come down to meet the customers is ok by me. And yeah, poor Bart Starr. He was way too good of a person to have to go through that.

I have to tell you, parts of this had me laughing out loud, and really loudly. Again we lived in CA for 18 years and they cannot make a brat. Pizza kinda sucks too, and ironically, Mexican food in Nor Cal around San Francisco really is just average. Mexican is much better in So Cal.

I'm with you as far as mustard on brats and ketchup on hot dogs, but I've mixed it up. As long as the brat is from Usingers or Klements, all is well.

The story about the beer-drinking Wisconsinites in Santa Monica is hilarious. Now if they wanted wine, the bars would have plenty. And who drinks at 10AM? The people who are behind, that's who.

When I lived in WI, I'd never have a beer until the Packers kicked off, or noon, whichever came first. Living in CA, the noon games in WI started at 10AM in CA. Time for a beer!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still remember when he walked right thru our tailgate before the last seattle playoff game. Just casually walking thru all off us, "he guys, how's it going" seemed like anything but a pretentious stuck up arrogant man of power. Was better dressed, but otherwise rather unassuming and very casual. He obviously had places to be, but he stopped for a couple pics with people. Came across as very approachable, not standoffish in the least.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still remember when he walked right thru our tailgate before the last seattle playoff game. Just casually walking thru all off us, "he guys, how's it going" seemed like anything but a pretentious stuck up arrogant man of power. Was better dressed, but otherwise rather unassuming and very casual. He obviously had places to be, but he stopped for a couple pics with people. Came across as very approachable, not standoffish in the least.
Good to hear.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Harlan wasn't perfect, but his hiring of Wolf changed everything.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been a kraut fan. I even tried to get myself to like it several months back since it's low cal and full of probiotics. I wasn't successful. I mean I could force it down, I just don't see any convincing reason to.

My dad was from Wisconsin (which is where I get my Packer fandom). I remember when I was a kid he often made sauerkraut on Sundays. Stunk up the whole house, it smelled horrible.
I'm not crazy about sauerkraut either. A stripe of brown mustard makes the perfect brat for me, as long as it's Usinger or Klements. I know, Johnsonville fans will be in an uproar, but Joihnsnville only work if you're starving, or in CA......

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about sauerkraut either. A stripe of brown mustard makes the perfect brat for me, as long as it's Usinger or Klements. I know, Johnsonville fans will be in an uproar, but Joihnsnville only work if you're starving, or in CA......
Usinger are OK as long as they are grilled but they suck if prepared any other way. Klement's sucks no matter how its prepared. Johnsonville are great any way. Fried, toaster oven, even boiled.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usinger are OK as long as they are grilled but they suck if prepared any other way. Klement's sucks no matter how its prepared. Johnsonville are great any way. Fried, toaster oven, even boiled.
Disagree. Johnsonville works if there's nothing else. They sell 'em in CA which kinda tells the whole story. A state as big and diverse as CA can't do better than Johnsonvile. I'll stand by Usinger and Klements. And all brats taste better grilled. I can't think of an exception.

There are brats for all tastes in WI.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody like braunschweiger? That's another food that my dad used to eat, that I thought was disgusting.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody like braunschweiger? That's another food that my dad used to eat, that I thought was disgusting.
I used to eat it all the time when I was younger but I lost a taste for it. Then I found out what is was made from. Now I can't stand the smell of it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I got some at a farmers market a few weeks back from a local farm and their variety leaves something to be desired. The "mass market" stuff at the grocers is what I'm used to and prefer. I really love it on wheat toast with raw onion slices on top. Unfortunately raw onions no longer agree with my gut flora so I make do with onion powder.

Members online

Latest posts