Sean Richardson

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sean Richardson got quite a bit of playing time this year due to Jennings and McMillan being complete and total failure.
While he didn't come in as the playmaker we needed he didn't screw up nearly as bad as Jennings, and look at his limited play this year he had a bad play or two but given the time he missed it was to be expected getting back to game speed.
Am I wrong for wondering y he didn't replace Jennings as the starter because we all know Jennings was nothing more than a body on the field who couldn't cover and couldn't tackle and in run support was a no show.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't worse than Jennings. I don't care if Jennings had been around longer and knew more plays. He still sucked on all the plays he "knew" so I would rather have seen a green Richardson out there.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that I can remember a player getting pulled mid-game for bad play as many times as Jennings did toward the end of the year and still have their starting job guaranteed the next week.

OP
OP
D3uc3

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that I can remember a player getting pulled mid-game for bad play as many times as Jennings did toward the end of the year and still have their starting job guaranteed the next week.
That's what baffled me honestly how he still remained a starter but Richardson was way more solid when Jennings was pulled week in week out.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nailed it! The only thing i can think of is Richardson maybe having trouble with the defense calls and coverages. Jennings was the worst safety i've ever seen roaming the Packers secondary and probably in the secondary in general. You know you're bad when fans would rather see Jarett Bush.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It's the same baffling crap that goes on..... Brad Jones also?? Why give him such a fat payday and he plays like crap and always has, yet Hawk takes a paycut and has a damn good season.

OP
OP
D3uc3

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the same baffling crap that goes on..... Brad Jones also?? Why give him such a fat payday and he plays like crap and always has, yet Hawk takes a paycut and has a damn good season.
Jones will lose his job like bishop if Lattimore shows improvement he already had a productive rookie season

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones will lose his job like bishop if Lattimore shows improvement he already had a productive rookie season

Jones should have lost his job a long time ago. I think we still go MLB in the draft sooner than later maybe third. The dude in From Wisconsin would be a nice fit along side Hawk. I can't stand Wisconsin but i like the way he plays. He's a tough dude and he's versatile enough to play in the 3-4. He's a more athletic AJ Hawk.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Lattimore did well on STs in his rookie season but he didn't play much from scrimmage and didn't record a stat on defense. His rookie season was 2011, so next season will be his fourth with the Packers. IMO his performance against the Bears displayed why he hasn't played more from scrimmage; he's fast but either didn't display the instincts or familiarity with the defense a player three years in the system should have.

OP
OP
D3uc3

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lattimore did well on STs in his rookie season but he didn't play much from scrimmage and didn't record a stat on defense. His rookie season was 2011, so next season will be his fourth with the Packers. IMO his performance against the Bears displayed why he hasn't played more from scrimmage; he's fast but either didn't display the instincts or familiarity with the defense a player three years in the system should have.

I'm not saying he is our savior at LB he is far from it but he made a lot of strides this year given the situation the players on defense we think so highly of and pay as such none earned there keep
Brad Jones Has been in our system alot longer than Lattimore, and this past season he did have a few flashes given time Lattimore could do a lot better he is still developing what Green Bay does develop from within, what we paid Jones he is very much not living up to his contract and givin the way he played it won't be hard for Lattimore to challenge for his job.
One bad game for Lattimore is a lot less than a bad season by Jones.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There were some here advocating Lattimore replace Jones before he got injured and Lattimore's performance against the Bears IMO reinforced what the coaching staff no doubt saw in practice: Lattimore wasn't ready and it wasn't because he was in his rookie season or was new to the system. What I’m saying is if Jones losses his starting spot – and I hope he does - and someone currently on the roster takes his place Lattimore may be in line to replace him but so will Francois (if he’s still a Packer), Barrington, Palmer and beyond the current roster, hopefully a draftee.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the Packers giving Richardson a shot, but I think competition would be a good thing for everybody. MD Jennings should NOT be tendered... He's worse than terrible. The safety position needs competition.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He played as well this year as Jerron McMillian played last year. People just go gaga whenever they see a guy actually hit and scream that he should start, regardless of how they look in coverage.Richardson is a 3rd Safety at best in our system. The problem with McMillians and Richardsons is that when you have a guy like them on the field the other team passes, meaning they have to drop back into 2 deep zone, meaning they don't get to do the one thing they're good at: hit. Jennings played because he can cover better than Richardson, specifically Jennings is no worse than Burnett on the back end in single high if he doesn't screw up, and Banjo is just a guy. We play the guys we play because they play the type of game we prioritize.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me Richardson isn't who we wanna be trotting out there week one next year. If we can't fill that position adequately again this off season it's going to be another bad year in the middle.

Same goes for Lattimore/Jones. If either is starting were in trouble.

These are all mediocre players...we need impact guys at these positions or at least someone with a tiny bit of upside. Hoping for the best. :)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't put much stock in Richardson. For one thing he's one of those chronically injured players. My worry is that Thompson and McCarthy might try getting by with him, shifting Micah Hyde to safety and maybe drafting a rookie instead of pursuing an experienced, quality NFL safety in free agency this offseason. And getting about the same results next year.

OP
OP
D3uc3

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were some here advocating Lattimore replace Jones before he got injured and Lattimore's performance against the Bears IMO reinforced what the coaching staff no doubt saw in practice: Lattimore wasn't ready and it wasn't because he was in his rookie season or was new to the system. What I’m saying is if Jones losses his starting spot – and I hope he does - and someone currently on the roster takes his place Lattimore may be in line to replace him but so will Francois (if he’s still a Packer), Barrington, Palmer and beyond the current roster, hopefully a draftee.
And just think, on most NFL teams Richardson would be on the wire.

Jennings, McMillian, and Banjo should have never been signed but they all saw significant playing time and all drove out secondary into the Ground.
Richardson is better than all 3 of those guys I'm not saying bring him back as a starter but as depth yes he should be back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jennings, McMillian, and Banjo should have never been signed but they all saw significant playing time and all drove out secondary into the Ground.
IMO there was nothing wrong with drafting McMillian at the end of the 4th round in 2012, the draft is a crap shoot, particularly after the third round. I don’t think there was anything wrong with bringing in Jennings as an UDFA in 2011. The Packers mine UDFAs more than many teams and occasionally find a gem. And I saw no problem with bringing Banjo before this season. So IMO signing these players wasn’t the problem. The problem was not acquiring a better player at safety so these players either wouldn’t have made the roster or wouldn’t have earned the playing time from scrimmage that they did.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO there was nothing wrong with drafting McMillian at the end of the 4th round in 2012, the draft is a crap shoot, particularly after the third round. I don’t think there was anything wrong with bringing in Jennings as an UDFA in 2011. The Packers mine UDFAs more than many teams and occasionally find a gem. And I saw no problem with bringing Banjo before this season. So IMO signing these players wasn’t the problem. The problem was not acquiring a better player at safety so these players either wouldn’t have made the roster or wouldn’t have earned the playing time from scrimmage that they did.

My thoughts exactly. The position needs competition. After the release of McMillian and the highly probable non-tender of Jennings, the position is going to get an infusion of new blood. Hopefully that new blood is an upgrade.

OP
OP
D3uc3

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is if all those guys had a shot at safety and saw significant playing time then Sean Richardson deserves a chance to come back next year and prove he can earn a roster spot is all I'm saying neither of the three Stooges will be back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The problem is if all those guys had a shot at safety and saw significant playing time then Sean Richardson deserves a chance to come back next year and prove he can earn a roster spot is all I'm saying neither of the three Stooges will be back.
In the post in which you quoted my post, you quoted another poster regarding Richardson; My post #22 didn't mention him. Of course I want to see Richardson back - he's under contract for next season at $570K. With the lack of talent at safety not including him in the competition would be foolish. I was responding to your idea that signing Jennings, McMillian, and Banjo was a bad idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts