Sam Barrington still not healed?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if he doesn't make it with the depth they have. He's had time to show what he has, and he's regressed.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish I'd started jotting down all the 'splashy' LBs we've gone through over the years that didn't pan out. We've have a few RBs and a few WRs, but I don't think nearly as many.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Elliot making the final 53 hinges on what they do at ILB and injuries. As it stands now, Elliot would most likely be OLB #7 (Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Jones, McCray, Fackrell) and Joe Thomas would be ILB #5 (Barrington, Martinez, Ryan and Bradford) . I can't see them keeping 12 LB's. So it may come down to Elliot VS Thomas for that #11 spot. Thomas would seem to have the upper hand on ST's, which is where the Packers would be looking for either one of them to contribute most.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thomas would seem to have the upper hand on ST's, which is where the Packers would be looking for either one of them to contribute most.

Absolutely agree with the first part of your post but Elliott is one of the best special teamer on the team and has an advantage over Thomas in that area.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas is listed as Questionable tonight with a shin injury, so not helping his cause by being UNavailable. Both guys (Thomas & Elliott) are RFA after the season so future contract shouldn't factor into decision, IMHO.

H

HardRightEdge

Thomas is listed as Questionable tonight with a shin injury, so not helping his cause by being UNavailable. Both guys (Thomas & Elliott) are RFA after the season so future contract shouldn't factor into decision, IMHO.
Even the lowest level restricted free agent tender, the right of first refusal with no compensation, stands at $1.67 million for this season, up from $1.542 million last season, and the way things are going it should be something like $1.8 million next year.

To paraphrase the Dirksen misquote, a million here and million there and pretty soon you're talking real money.

On the basis of cap considerations, Bradford would have the edge over Thomas since he'll be an exclusive rights FA which means the Packers can sign him to a one-year minimum salary contract next season. That would be more than a $1 million in savings over a Thomas minimum tender.

In the end, all of these guys are bench players. They'll be chosen for what they can do this year, as special teamers and emergency backups relative to what other guys can provide. If there's little to differentiate them, then you'd have to figure the cheaper option will prevail.

D

Deleted member 6794

Both guys (Thomas & Elliott) are RFA after the season so future contract shouldn't factor into decision, IMHO.

On the basis of cap considerations, Bradford would have the edge over Thomas since he'll be an exclusive rights FA which means the Packers can sign him to a one-year minimum salary contract next season. That would be more than a $1 million in savings over a Thomas minimum .

Joe Thomas will be an exclusive rights free agent next season as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our ILBs did not look as sharp as they have the 1st 2 weeks. That was way too easy of a scoring drive for SF in the 1st quarter.

The defense had one bad drive allowing the Niners to score their only touchdown. The rest of way they held San Francisco to 148 total yards of offense.

Overall the unit has played extremely well in the preseason. While that doesn't guarantee success in the regular season it's a raises hope.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the 1st drive, but what I did see of the game, which was mostly when Kaepernick was in, our defense did pretty well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that, among all the forums I follow, is the first mention of that ***hole. He may not have any respect for the USA, but I'll bet he still values its currency.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense had one bad drive allowing the Niners to score their only touchdown. The rest of way they held San Francisco to 148 total yards of offense.

Overall the unit has played extremely well in the preseason. While that doesn't guarantee success in the regular season it's a raises hope.
The starting drive is what counts. The rest of the game was backups.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the Packers defense stopped the Niners on the opening drive. It was the second one they struggled on.
It wasn't the ILB's that sucked on that 2nd (9'ers scoring) drive... it was Peppers. He had outside contain and slammed inside ******* a 10+ yd. Gabbert keeper run. Same drive Hyde took a handoff inside and bounced outside right past a collapsing-inside Peppers for 20+ yds. Apparently Peppers thinks when he's on the field he can slam down hard and pass rush ONLY. With that mentality he he's no help to the Packers if/when we play a QB who can run.

Members online