Sam Barrington still not healed?

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a possibility both Sitton and Lang won't be back in 2017. With a lack of quality depth currently at the guard position it wouldn't be ideal though. It's questionable if Linsley, who played center in college as well, is a fit to play guard.

Don't get me wrong without a hard salary cap in place I would be all in favor of re-signing Bakhtiari. But because of limited cap space available next offseason and Spriggs hopefully proving to be a decent replacement he seems to expendable.

I think they will resign Lang and let Sitton go, because Sitton has back issues.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's strange that you seem to understand that re-signing Tretter would be a waste of cap space with Linsley being able to step in yet don't realize it's the same situation as with Bakhtiari and Spriggs.
Oh yeah your right cause Tretter is a rookie who's played zero football with the big boys. Oh no wait thats Spriggs. Tretter is proven capable of possibly starting elsewhere. Some team will offer him more money than TT is comfortable with. That's fine Linsley is also proven capable to play in the middle with the big boys. Listen man I hope Spriggs becomes the best freakin LT ever. But until we see him play ball and not get manhandled it would be dumb to let a young talented proven LT that we spent the last 4years groom just walk out the door. Just for someone we count on being good because the team moved up in the 2nd round to grab.....I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah your right cause Tretter is a rookie who's played zero football with the big boys. Oh no wait thats Spriggs. Tretter is proven capable of possibly starting elsewhere. Some team will offer him more money than TT is comfortable with. That's fine Linsley is also proven capable to play in the middle with the big boys. Listen man I hope Spriggs becomes the best freakin LT ever. But until we see him play ball and not get manhandled it would be dumb to let a young talented proven LT that we spent the last 4years groom just walk out the door. Just for someone we count on being good because the team moved up in the 2nd round to grab.....I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

I think many feel that not being able to afford a player is significantly different that just shooing him away.

Good call on the meds. :)

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think many feel that not being able to afford a player is significantly different that just shooing him away.

Good call on the meds. :)
I self medicate if you know what I mean. I think a few others on this site should do the same to help calm them down. IMO Bak would be alot cheaper if we resign him early. They still would be able to sign 1 guard, 1 OLB and god willing Hyde the silent swiss army knife of our team

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I self medicate if you know what I mean. I think a few others on this site should do the same to help calm them down. IMO Bak would be alot cheaper if we resign him early. They still would be able to sign 1 guard, 1 OLB and god willing Hyde the silent swiss army knife of our team
I'm very much at peace with my craziness. No meds needed.

I honestly think they will be able to re-sign at least two of the OLB's that they want. We'll see how Hyde fares this year. I think they may have a lot of DB options. Joe Whitt keeps pumping out CB's that can play and a couple are potential safeties Imo. In a perfect world, neither guard would NEED to be re-signed. We'll see how the young guys progress.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sitton has dropped some weight and has said his back is much better.

We´ll have to wait and see how his back feels after playing in regular season games. It´s extremely tough to get over chronic back issues.

Nobody has suggested to release Bakhtiari right now and start Spriggs in week 1 at Jacksonville. If Spriggs proves to be capable of performing on the same level as Bakhtiari during this season there´s no reason to spend $9 million a year to re-sign Bakhtiari though. Thompson should re-sign Bakhtiari at all costs if Spriggs doesn´t live up to expectations.

They still would be able to sign 1 guard, 1 OLB and god willing Hyde the silent swiss army knife of our team

That would leave the Packers with only three experienced players, one of them being Fackrell, at the most important position on a 3-4 defense.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We´ll have to wait and see how his back feels after playing in regular season games. It´s extremely tough to get over chronic back issues.

Nobody has suggested to release Bakhtiari right now and start Spriggs in week 1 at Jacksonville. If Spriggs proves to be capable of performing on the same level as Bakhtiari during this season there´s no reason to spend $9 million a year to re-sign Bakhtiari though. Thompson should re-sign Bakhtiari at all costs if Spriggs doesn´t live up to expectations.

That would leave the Packers with only three experienced players, one of them being Fackrell, at the most important position on a 3-4 defense.
Maybe you could start a thread with our available cap space and the free agents we have....? Give everyone a list so they can post their positions they want to keep....

It would be fun to see how ted and co handles this cap/fa situation. And look back on how us armchair gms predicted...

I started a thread twice and never finished.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i suspect the dropped weight will help Sitton living day to day in normal life, but i don't think it's going to help his chronic back issues throughout the grind of an NFL season. the damage is there, the chronicity is there. it may help for a short time, but the seasons are long and I think there's little doubt it flares up

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you could start a thread with our available cap space and the free agents we have....? Give everyone a list so they can post their positions they want to keep....

It would be fun to see how ted and co handles this cap/fa situation. And look back on how us armchair gms predicted...

I started a thread twice and never finished.

There are ways around the cap. Things like back loading signing bonuses etc. I'm not sure of all of the tricks but it isn't a hard cap like Hockey.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are ways around the cap. Things like back loading signing bonuses etc. I'm not sure of all of the tricks but it isn't a hard cap like Hockey.

It's not possible to back load a signing bonus as it is prorated over the length of a contract (maximum of five years). Teams are capable of keeping the cap hit low early during a deal by agreeing to a small base salary in the first few years though.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Matthews, Elliott, 1 of 3 becoming FAs and then Fackrell

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh right, he will come pretty cheap though. My guess less than half what Perry or Datone bring in.

That's probably true but as of right now Elliott is on the roster bubble after not performing well during training camp so far.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has not performed well this preseason but he still makes the roster imo. Maybe the weight loss is hurting his pass rush?

It's possible the additional weight is hurting Elliott as a pass rusher. I guess the idea behind gaining some pounds was to improve defending the run but it seems it backfired.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible the additional weight is hurting Elliott as a pass rusher. I guess the idea behind gaining some pounds was to improve defending the run but it seems it backfired.
Same article mentions his stats took a nosedive as last season wore on. Most of his splash plays were in the first few games.

Yeah he doesn't seem to have the same burst off the line. But still pretty sure he makes the roster.
His career may have peaked after teams got video of him. He needs more of something. If he doesn't find it over the next few games, he won't make the roster. Mainly because it's a numbers game. CM3, Pep, Jones, Perry, Fackrell =5 OLBs. + 5 ILBs, 9 DBs and 6 DL = 25 defensive roster slots. He's in a roster battle with the last ILB, last two DBs, extra DL until Pennel returns.
Edit: and I forgot about McCray.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah he doesn't seem to have the same burst off the line. But still pretty sure he makes the roster.

The Packers have a lot of depth at outside linebacker. If Elliott doesn't show some splash plays as well as improve in the pass rushing drill in practice I'm not convinced he makes the final roster.

There's only that many special teamers a team can keep on the 53.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts