Sam Barrington still not healed?

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article saying Barrington still on PUP list with his injury from beginning of last season. I really thought he'd be practicing by now. Is he going to be healthy for any preseason games? He's our thumper in the middle. No other LB on our roster hits as hard as Barrington, he might also be the slowest on the roster. But we still need him healthy for week 1. We dont know how Martinez will fit in our scheme? and I believe we know Carl Bradford doesnt fit already. That leaves little options.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't make the club in the tub! Barrington must have had a second injury. Hard to believe it would take more than a year to heal his injury from last season.

H

HardRightEdge

Thats what I thought also. But it is the brokenfoot he broke last September. It has to be at least close to healed right?
It depends on what kind of foot injury, and that has not been disclosed. Careers have ended with a Lisfranc injury, unsuccessful microfracture surgery or even a turf toe injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Just read an article saying Barrington still on PUP list with his injury from beginning of last season. I really thought he'd be practicing by now. Is he going to be healthy for any preseason games? He's our thumper in the middle. No other LB on our roster hits as hard as Barrington, he might also be the slowest on the roster. But we still need him healthy for week 1. We dont know how Martinez will fit in our scheme? and I believe we know Carl Bradford doesnt fit already. That leaves little options.

The overall talent level at inside linebacker is poor, even with Barrington in the lineup. If he's not healthy by the start of the regular season that leaves the Packers with only Ryan and Martinez as NFL caliber players.

Can't make the club in the tub! Barrington must have had a second injury. Hard to believe it would take more than a year to heal his injury from last season.

Barrington still not being able to practice because of the foot injury suffered in week 1 of last season is for sure concerning.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barrington used a nonweightbearing scooter post-op for his foot injury. An injury requiring restabilization to the midfoot or hindfoot could have been the injury, which would certainly be career threatening. As usual, speculation is only possible when nobody knows the injury.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing is for sure. I regular break doesn't require this long to heal so it was obviously more than a regular break. How much more is what is up for speculation and debate.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The overall talent level at inside linebacker is poor, even with Barrington in the lineup. If he's not healthy by the start of the regular season that leaves the Packers with only Ryan and Martinez as NFL caliber players

Really? Did the coaches tell you this yesterday?
No one in camp is good enough to play?

D

Deleted member 6794

Really? Did the coaches tell you this yesterday?
No one in camp is good enough to play?

Geez, take a look at Packers depth chart at inside linebacker and evaluate it in an objective way. There's absolutely no reason to be impressed by the talent level at the position, especially after the top three. Joe Thomas struggled in 2015, Carl Bradford hasn't played a single snap in two years and Beniquez Brown and Manoa Pikula are undrafted rookies.

Even you should be able to admit the team lacks talent and depth at ILB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Geez, take a look at Packers depth chart at inside linebacker and evaluate it in an objective way. There's absolutely no reason to be impressed by the talent level at the position, especially after the top three. Joe Thomas struggled in 2015, Carl Bradford hasn't played a single snap in two years and Beniquez Brown and Manoa Pikula are undrafted rookies.

Even you should be able to admit the team lacks talent and depth at ILB.
Even myself has not seen OTA's or camp practices. I actually have zero idea to how much they are progressing and whether the coaches feel that they can one day be ready to adequately step in. If they are getting good coaching, I suspect we'll be fine.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried about our ILB nearly as much as the production and depth at DL thru at least the first 4 games. Nobody is going to argue our ILB's are proven studs, but I see the potential to be better than just good enough. I wasn't even jazzed on the Ryan pick of a year ago, but he showed improvement and I think he can fit in nicely. We'll see what else we have. and on the list of reasons why we didn't make it to the big game last year, I put WR play, OLine play, penalties, RB play, dropped INT's all ahead of our lack of talent at ILB.

I'd have to say at this point, Martinez is being given every opportunity to be the guy in the middle and so far, word is he's picking it all up. That may change when the they start hitting for real, but so far he seems to be a good kid. Smart, and with a good approach to the game. I'm confident he'll make mistakes :) and he seems to have the mental make up of a kid that will learn from them too. I think physically he has what it takes to play the position. Can't wait to find out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He was deep-sea fishing in June.. Reeling in 500 pound groupers... I think you need a good foot to plant down and hold your balance..

It may just be precaution and will be practicing soon?

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the broken foot doesnt cause him to be even slower! That is the biggest flaw with Barrington is his speed. But he makes up for it with the pop he brings to the hole. Plus we drafted a ILB with speed in Martinez. If you watch tape of him at Stanford he keeps up extremely well with backs and Tightends. He needs to hit the weightroom and bulk up though. He drags tacklers down more often than laying the wood

H

HardRightEdge

He was deep-sea fishing in June.. Reeling in 500 pound groupers... I think you need a good foot to plant down and hold your balance.
Or he could have been strapped into a chair. They do that as I understand it. ;) Or the question could be running and/or cutting without stability issues or pain.

You simply have no basis to believe whether PUP is cautionary or whether his injury is potentially career ending.

Bishop suffered a hamstring injury that required surgical repair that effectively ended his career. A year on IR, then 6 games played over 2 years, and then he was done. Everybody was counting on him coming back for 2013 until he was released in June of that year. Or think about Bishop's replacement, D.J. Smith. While a lesser player than Bishop, Smith was nonetheless a starter who tore an ACL and was effectively finished, playing 2 games over 2 seasons with no starts after injury.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall you were enthusiastic about Benson coming back in 2013 after going IR with what was initially reported as a "foot sprain" but was subsequently diagnosed as a Lisfranc injury. He never took another NFL snap.

Injuries requiring surgery are a crap shoot, especially when talking about guys like Barrington, Bishop, Smith or Benson. Whatever these players' virtues, any special athleticism is/was not among them. Seemingly small diminishment in athletic ability can suddenly be a disqualifier for guys like this. Veteran guys with athleticism to burn and veteran smarts can adapt; perhaps Nelson would be one of those guys if he's never 100% his old self. Barrington is not one of those guys.

But lets not be so glum. We have absolutely no idea what is going on with him...only a broad range of possibilities.

H

HardRightEdge

One thing is for sure. I regular break doesn't require this long to heal so it was obviously more than a regular break. How much more is what is up for speculation and debate.
When it comes to feet I don't think there's any such thing as a "regular break". A toe, maybe, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feet are different, tendons and ligaments especially tend to be more affected and their injury must be accounted for. There are also some bones where blood supply to fx'd area is compromised and has to be restored, etc. there are a lot of bones in a small area that all need to be very stable and yet move and flex just enough to transmit all that force generated to the ground. It's not like a broken arm at all.

H

HardRightEdge

Feet are different, tendons and ligaments especially tend to be more affected and their injury must be accounted for. There are also some bones where blood supply to fx'd area is compromised and has to be restored, etc. there are a lot of bones in a small area that all need to be very stable and yet move and flex just enough to transmit all that force generated to the ground. It's not like a broken arm at all.
Surely, and the same concerns would be applicable to Montgomery in the absence of more specific information.

We don't know. These situations could resolve themselves positively or negatively. What we do know is a year off from football is no guarantee of recovery.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Or he could have been strapped into a chair. They do that as I understand it. ;) Or the question could be running and/or cutting without stability issues or pain.

You simply have no basis to believe whether PUP is cautionary or whether his injury is potentially career ending.

Bishop suffered a hamstring injury that required surgical repair that effectively ended his career. A year on IR, then 6 games played over 2 years, and then he was done. Everybody was counting on him coming back for 2013 until he was released in June of that year. Or think about Bishop's replacement, D.J. Smith. While a lesser player than Bishop, Smith was nonetheless a starter who tore an ACL and was effectively finished, playing 2 games over 2 seasons with no starts after injury.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall you were enthusiastic about Benson coming back in 2013 after going IR with what was initially reported as a "foot sprain" but was subsequently diagnosed as a Lisfranc injury. He never took another NFL snap.

Injuries requiring surgery are a crap shoot, especially when talking about guys like Barrington, Bishop, Smith or Benson. Whatever these players' virtues, any special athleticism is/was not among them. Seemingly small diminishment in athletic ability can suddenly be a disqualifier for guys like this. Veteran guys with athleticism to burn and veteran smarts can adapt; perhaps Nelson would be one of those guys if he's never 100% his old self. Barrington is not one of those guys.

But lets not be so glum. We have absolutely no idea what is going on with him...only a broad range of possibilities.
Not in a chair.. It was pulling him to edge of boat...

I don't know what is really the issue.. I haven't asked..maybe tomorrow I can find out..

D

Deleted member 6794

Even myself has not seen OTA's or camp practices. I actually have zero idea to how much they are progressing and whether the coaches feel that they can one day be ready to adequately step in. If they are getting good coaching, I suspect we'll be fine.

There's no reason to see any offseason or training camp practices to realize that the Packers lack talent and depth at inside linebacker. Good coaching won't be sufficient to make NFL caliber players out of Thomas, Bradford and most likely the undrafted rookies.

I'm not worried about our ILB nearly as much as the production and depth at DL thru at least the first 4 games. Nobody is going to argue our ILB's are proven studs, but I see the potential to be better than just good enough. I wasn't even jazzed on the Ryan pick of a year ago, but he showed improvement and I think he can fit in nicely. We'll see what else we have. and on the list of reasons why we didn't make it to the big game last year, I put WR play, OLine play, penalties, RB play, dropped INT's all ahead of our lack of talent at ILB.

There's no doubt that the lack of talent at inside linebacker wasn't one of the main reasons the Packers didn't make it to the Super Bowl last season. Different story in 2014 though. Unfortunately the talent level hasn't been significantly upgraded at the position over the last four years.

Seems like Barrington has a problem staying healthy. Seems like he has been injured every season since being drafted in 2013.

If I remember correctly Barrington wasn't injured during the 2014 season.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing that they might consider is that camp guys are NOT eligible for the regular season PUP (minimum 6 games missed) unless they have been on PUP all of training camp. So if there's any question whatsoever about a guy's medical readiness for the regular season or they're not 100% and could suffer a setback, they probably want to err on the side of caution.

H

HardRightEdge

Another thing that they might consider is that camp guys are NOT eligible for the regular season PUP (minimum 6 games missed) unless they have been on PUP all of training camp. So if there's any question whatsoever about a guy's medical readiness for the regular season or they're not 100% and could suffer a setback, they probably want to err on the side of caution.
That is an important consideration, which I commented on earlier. Where that post might be I could not say. Maybe the 6 guys on PUP thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts