Runningback Situation

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm expecting that one of them will have injury problems that will significantly reduce their playing effectiveness to the point that one of the backups will actually be a more productive player. Both of the starters are old and have an extensive injury history. I suspect that both are on the downward slope of their career.

That's a fair opinion and its kind of what I thought you were going for but I wasn't sure. In a way it seemed like you were suggesting that since Lang and Sitton could both be gone next year we would start someone else in their place this year to give them experience.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sitton and Lang are ironmen they do often get injured but they still play top tier football. They both have proved their grit playing through injuries.

Absolutely true as Sitton has missed a total of two games since becoming a starter in 2009 and Lang the same amount of starts over the last five years.

H

HardRightEdge

I haven't seen HRE suggesting that Taylor won't make the roster and after the Packers signed him to a decent contract I expect the team to hold on to him.
I can't recall exactly, though I may have suggested it as a possibility on second thought.

Once they give one of their own guys a multi-year deal, even if it's just 2 years, they are disinclined to undo it before year 1 begins, especially with $600k in dead cap which reduces the the cap savings at $850k.

However, the deal was signed before the draft in an apparent "who else ya got" calculation not knowing what the 2016 draft would bring and 2017 FA pending.

I think it's safe to say we'd never want to see Taylor at OT. His sole utility is at OG. Frankly, I'd rather see them run Tretter or Barclay out there in front of Taylor. So that makes him my #9 OL at this juncture. He could be #10 if Murphy gets over his concussion soon and they send him out for OG snaps in preseason at what looks like his natural position.

As you may have guessed, I don't think much of Taylor as a player or his contract. But it is what it is. It looks to me to be an insurance premium was paid with no claim filing to materialize.

Does anybody think this guy should be starting in 2017?

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that's true. Once they give one of their own guys a multi-year deal, even if it's just 2 years, they won't undo it before year 1 begins, especially with $600k in dead cap which reduces the the cap savings at $850k.

The deal was signed before the draft in an apparent "who else ya got" calculation not knowing what the draft would bring and 2017 FA pending.

I think it's safe to say we'd never want to see Taylor at OT. His sole utility is at OG. Frankly, I'd rather see them run Tretter or Barclay out there in front of Taylor. So that makes him my #9 OL. He could be #10 if Murphy gets over his concussion soon enough and they send him out at OG in preseason at what looks like his natural position.

As you may have guessed, I don't think much of Taylor as a player or his contract. But it is what it is.

Which makes his contract all the more ridiculous. And if a guy is dead weight and tying up a roster space that could go to a better player, screw the dead money and get rid of his dead ****.
As to should he be starting in 2017, no, and I would vehemently disagree with annointing a guy a starter a year in advance.

H

HardRightEdge

Which makes his contract all the more ridiculous. And if a guy is dead weight and tying up a roster space that could go to a better player, screw the dead money and get rid of his dead ****.
As to should he be starting in 2017, no, and I would vehemently disagree with annointing a guy a starter a year in advance.
It's possible you'll get your wish, I just wouldn't count on it.

I'll say this much: releasing Taylor yields that $850k in cap savings while Barclay's cap hit would be $700k. The swap would yield a modest savings. But there's an additional penalty in releasing Taylor: admitting a mistake.

It could get more interesting. Linsley's status could play into it. What if that hammy injury doesn't come around by week 1 but they don't think he should be locked into regular season PUP for 6 weeks? Barclay was the guy getting work as the #2 center last week. I don't recall Taylor working at center; others can correct me if I'm wrong. Keeping Barklay as the backup center would bring the OL count to 10, assuming they don't think Murphy could be stashed on PS. Something would have to give.

Or maybe Taylor finally stops ******** up. This is why we watch the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's safe to say we'd never want to see Taylor at OT. His sole utility is at OG. Frankly, I'd rather see them run Tretter or Barclay out there in front of Taylor. So that makes him my #9 OL at this juncture. He could be #10 if Murphy gets over his concussion soon and they send him out for OG snaps in preseason at what looks like his natural position.

As you may have guessed, I don't think much of Taylor as a player or his contract. But it is what it is. It looks to me to be an insurance premium was paid with no claim filing to materialize.

Does anybody think this guy should be starting in 2017?

According to Eric Baranczyk Taylor is one of the offensive linemen that has separated himself from the pack of backups. If the coaching staff agrees with his point of view it's probable he'll make the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

What did the packers resign Taylor for again? The amount I mean.

Two years, $4.15 million with $600K guaranteed. It's interesting to note that his cap hits are $1.45 million for this season and $2.7 million in 2017. That means the Packers would save $2.4 million in cap space by releasing him next offseason.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jhurell Pressley was waived today, leaving only Lacy, Starks and Ripkowski in the backfield, for now. Don Jackson's on the PS but don't know how game-ready he'd be... any news or speculation on the GB RB future?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Jhurell Pressley was waived today, leaving only Lacy, Starks and Ripkowski in the backfield, for now. Don Jackson's on the PS but don't know how game-ready he'd be... any news or speculation on the GB RB future?
Speculation: Cobbs, Monty, Davis, or any other WR fill in as the third back until the CB, DL situations settle after suspensions end and players return from injury.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Using Cobb or TyMo out of the backfield makes our Offense very dynamic. Picture Rodgers in shotgun with Cobb next to him Jordy and Davante out wide with Abby or TyMo in slot and Cook or RR at TE! So many options it would feel like Christmas for Rodgers! And I don't mean just for a play or 2. Keep that formation on the field for a drive to truly see how it'd work!

D

Deleted member 6794

According to a source the Packers are interested in re-signing Pressley next week but want to promote a player from the practice squad for Sunday.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to a source the Packers are interested in re-signing Pressley next week but want to promote a player from the practice squad for Sunday.
Since GB is desperately short of healthy CB's and there are none on the PS I'm guessing DT Brian Price gets the call-up unless it's Safety Jermaine Whitehead. With the focus on AP all afternoon I'd say it's Price.

D

Deleted member 6794

Since GB is desperately short of healthy CB's and there are none on the PS I'm guessing DT Brian Price gets the call-up unless it's Safety Jermaine Whitehead. With the focus on AP all afternoon I'd say it's Price.

Agreed. I've already mentioned that in another thread as well.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Presley cleared waivers today. No team claimed him increasing the chance the
Packers may resign him after the Vikings game.

Presley was interviewed and is still in Green Bay. He is expecting to be resigned
by the Packers next week.

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Herb Waters rumor better. He spends 1 week as a CB after being a WR and is ready to rock and roll. He is from The U after all!!! That would be 3 undrafted CB's on the roster from The U....2 of which were wr's at some point in college.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Herb Waters rumor better. He spends 1 week as a CB after being a WR and is ready to rock and roll. He is from The U after all!!! That would be 3 undrafted CB's on the roster from The U....2 of which were wr's at some point in college.
I have a hard time believing 1-week-as-a-CB Waters would be a better option than re-signing Robertson Daniels. Waters is a "cool experiment" by Joe Whitt but hardly ready to help on the 53.

Any news on who got/will get elevated onto the 53, still sitting at 52 I believe.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

This would be an amazing story if some how Waters becomes an NFL CB anytime soon.

I see Pressley being placed on the PS, if the Packers see potential, otherwise Don Jackson is our 3rd RB and he was cut in July and then resigned in Sept.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Any news on who got/will get elevated onto the 53, still sitting at 52 I believe.

I haven't heard any news on who that player is, probably at this point he would be an inactive on game day anyway, so maybe its the Packers just waiting to see if any injuries create a need at a certain position. With no true CB's on the PS, I doubt it will be Whitehead or Waters. Price, Bradford or Cajuste would be the only 3 on the PS I could see bringing up and make room for Pressley, unless they want a 3rd back and Jackson is ready to contribute.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers resign Presley, would he go on the practice squad ?

With Pressley currently being a free agent the Packers could sign him either to the active roster or the practice squad.

It's waaaaay too early to think about Waters playing cornerback in a regular season game.

I haven't heard any news on who that player is, probably at this point he would be an inactive on game day anyway, so maybe its the Packers just waiting to see if any injuries create a need at a certain position. With no true CB's on the PS, I doubt it will be Whitehead or Waters. Price, Bradford or Cajuste would be the only 3 on the PS I could see bringing up and make room for Pressley, unless they want a 3rd back and Jackson is ready to contribute.

I wonder if the Packers put in a waiver claim on cornerback KeiVarae Russell this week. He was drafted by the Chiefs in the third round of this year's draft, released this week but unfortunately claimed by the Bengals.

The Packers still have time to activate a player from the team's practice squad with me expecting them to promote Brian Price to add depth on the defensive line going against Peterson this week.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When are the suspensions up? 4 weeks for both or was it 2 and 4? If its 2 I would just roll with 52 guys. If a guy isnt even going to dress might as well not waste everyones time with a meaningless transaction. Then you would have to cut someone right after the game and subject them to everyone elses PS.

D

Deleted member 6794

When are the suspensions up? 4 weeks for both or was it 2 and 4? If its 2 I would just roll with 52 guys. If a guy isnt even going to dress might as well not waste everyones time with a meaningless transaction. Then you would have to cut someone right after the game and subject them to everyone elses PS.

Both Pennel and Goodson are suspended for the first four games of the season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess would be whoever gets promoted, does so late Saturday. MM most likely knows who he wants but is making sure he gets through the week's practices uninjured. Pressley was cut before the game plan was installed so that if he were cut - say today - for the other guy, someone couldn't pick him up to learn it. I doubt they'd wait to announce swapping RBs. I'm thinking its a DL player.

Latest posts