Run defense will get early tests.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch - 25 carries for 157 yards and a TD is stopping a team that was great at the run? Is that honestly what you call stopping the run?

I will not say that each of them did not play their part but you have some serious blinders as to what happened if that is what you believe, let's analyze what happened in the last 3:52 seconds of the game.

(3:52) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 45 for 14 yards (29-C.Hayward).
(3:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass short right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 35 for 20 yards (38-T.Williams).
(3:07) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass incomplete deep right to 15-J.Kearse.

For the record, at this point Seattle had a .1% chance of winning the football game, that is right 1 tenth of one percent of a chance of winning the game.

(3:02) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 24-M.Lynch for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Official challenged the runner was in bounds ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 24-M.Lynch ran ob at GB 9 for 26 yards.

(2:57) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to GB 5 for 4 yards (56-J.Peppers; 96-M.Neal).
(2:36) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson scrambles left tackle to GB 1 for 4 yards (21-H.Clinton-Dix).
(2:13) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson left tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.
S.Hauschka extra point is GOOD, Center-49-C.Gresham, Holder-9-J.Ryan.

Okay, please point out to me where the offense or the special teams failed in the above 1:39. That is right, in 1:39 the team that could not move the ball all day gained 65 yards and a touchdown. Neither the offense nor the special teams were on the field for any of that 1:39 seconds, but okay, let's say special teams and the offense blew that.

In 1:39 the Seahawks gained 65 yards and 6 points that was entirely the defense's fault.

Special teams gave up one point.

All right, here we go...

(Onside Kick formation) 4-S.Hauschka kicks onside 15 yards from SEA 35 to 50, impetus ends at SEA 48. RECOVERED by SEA-13-C.Matthews.

Okay, we all knew the special teams screwed the pooch here, there is no denying it. But okay, defense has a chance to end the game so here we go:

(2:07) (No Huddle) 3-R.Wilson right end ran ob at GB 35 for 15 yards.
(2:01) 24-M.Lynch right end to GB 32 for 3 yards (42-M.Burnett).
(1:56) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass short right to 82-L.Willson to GB 24 for 8 yards (50-A.Hawk; 38-T.Williams).
(1:33) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 3-R.Wilson pass to 82-L.Willson is complete. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

Huh, in 34 seconds with the ball Seattle went 52 yards, and scored 8 point all while the defense was on the field except for the disastrous onside kick.

So now we have 2:13 seconds for the Seattle to gain 117 yards and score 14 points, all while neither the offense nor the ST was on the field except for an extra point and an admittedly disastrous onside kick. By the way, 65 of those yards are rushing yards, you know, the thing you apparently believe we stopped in this game. SEA 22 GB 19

Now GB takes a minute to kick a field goal and tie the game at 22, Seattle kneels for 11 seconds.

So now we have 2:24 seconds for the Seattle to gain 117 yards and score 14 points all while the defense was on the field

And on to overtime...

2-M.Crosby kicks 66 yards from GB 35 to SEA -1. 89-D.Baldwin to SEA 13 for 14 yards (32-C.Banjo).

Seattle starts at their own 13 because of horrible play by the special teams in crunch time...

(14:51) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch up the middle to SEA 17 for 4 yards (42-M.Burnett).
(14:20) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass short right to 89-D.Baldwin pushed ob at SEA 27 for 10 yards (52-C.Matthews).
(13:50) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to SEA 31 for 4 yards (76-M.Daniels; 53-N.Perry).
(13:17) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson sacked at SEA 30 for -1 yards (sack split by 56-J.Peppers and 98-L.Guion).
(12:36) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 35 for 35 yards (29-C.Hayward).
(11:49) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep middle to 15-J.Kearse for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

In case you are wondering that is 87 yards in 3:11 seconds so...

In 5:35 seconds the DEFENSE, let me repeat, the DEFENSE gave up 204 yards and 20 points.

In closing I am not one who puts the blame entirely on the defense, the onside kick was a major screw up and the lack of moving the ball by the offense were contributing factors, but when you have literally a 99.9% chance to win the football game with 3:07 left in the game and the DEFENSE gives up 200 yards and 20 points, there is one place to point 90% of your finger and that is at the DEFENSE. I respect you and your opinion but the facts clearly show the defense is the large majority of the culprit in that loss. You can go on and on about what happened prior to those 5:35 seconds and none of it matters, not one bit when you give up 200 yards and 20 points in the final 5:35.

If you could please point out to me in the above sequence of events where the offense or ST had a greater hand in blowing the game than the defense I will gladly take it under consideration.

Def blew it last 5 mins because they coasted and figured they didn't have to try.
I admit ALL you posted..

However... Up until the time the Def decided to just sit down, Lynch was stopped, Wilson was stopped.. We all know that to be true..

That was exactly my point.. The game was won and the defense did way more than any one expected

The Def had the perfect game plan..but the Def sat down and celebrated to early and it bit them..

It can be done again.. Specially at home..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally would never talk about it again if people would stop claiming that it was anything other than yet another spectacular failure by the defense. Facts don't lie but some people like to ignore the facts which is quite bothersome to me.
Please don't say I m ignoring facts.. Def blew it...

The Def proved they can stop Lynch is all I am trying to get across..

Can you honestly say_--
rodgers tossing 2 ints at Seattle goal line and at Seattle's 26 yard line didn't hurt?

Two real scoring chances gone...

Should have been up by at least 3 points if not more... And if those ints didn't happen maybe Seattle runs out of time.

But defense did really blow it.. I admit, but don't act like two ints didn't matter

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't say I m ignoring facts.. Def blew it...

The Def proved they can stop Lynch is all I am trying to get across..

Can you honestly say_--
rodgers tossing 2 ints at Seattle goal line and at Seattle's 26 yard line didn't hurt?

Two real scoring chances gone...

Should have been up by at least 3 points if not more... And if those ints didn't happen maybe Seattle runs out of time.

But defense did really blow it.. I admit, but don't act like two ints didn't matter

I agree with you completely, it just seemed like when you said the offense and ST blew it, you were completely disregarding the massive meltdown by the defense. It sounds like I misinterpreted that and apologize.

It seems like some people think the first 55 minutes of defense is in some sort of vacuum as if the last 5 did not matter anymore.

Anyway, I think this dead horse has been beaten enough. I am personally looking forward to next to week. I know it is only week two but I think the Pack has something to prove.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are people still arguing about what was most at fault in the NFC Championship? We can all agree all three phrases played a part.

Does it really matter if the each was 1/3 at fault or it was 40.25% defense, 30.75% offense, and 29% special teams?

Personally, I don't believe the players were 100% at fault in the NFC Championship game.

I will always believe Special Teams Coach Shawn Slocum was a significant factor in the outcome. Not ensuring the team was ready for the fake field goal was coaching malpractice.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I don't believe the players were 100% at fault in the NFC Championship game.

I will always believe Special Teams Coach Shawn Slocum was a significant factor in the outcome. Not ensuring the team was ready for the fake field goal was coaching malpractice.

Agreed, the onside kick was a player fault, and I don't blame Slocum for that, but the fake FG was a weakness Seattle KNEW they had. They saw it on film, and they exploited it. It was Slocum's job to avoid showing a weakness on tape for another team to exploit, and the fact that he failed at that job very likely cost us a trip to the Super Bowl. Firing him was the right call, but it's too little, too late. Just hope Zook was the right call..

D

Deleted member 6794

We have some short memories as fans. Forte tore us up last year at Soldier field too yet we still won.

The performance by the run defense was absolutely disappointing. It seems like the improvement during the second half of last season had a lot to do with the opponents the Packers played. The Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFC, it will be way tougher to defeat top teams allowing nearly 200 rushing yards a game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is frustrating for me as a fan, I can only imagine what the coaches are going thru. It always seems the same to me. Either people are in position to make a play, and they don't or someone just blew something while everyone else was playing good defense. I like a lot of our players on defense. I really do. I think they are good football players, why they seem to not be able to make the play half the time, maybe i'm just a horrible judge of talent.

But even watching that game yesterday, Shields has been very good against the Bears in the past, and yesterday was one of the worst games he's played as Packer. Why? I have no idea. I know Barrington got hurt, but he was responsible for a couple big plays in the short time he was in there. Playing Zone and he decides to follow the man all the way over till he and Clay are standing next to each other and someone is running wide open where he vacated for another 20+ yard play.

Why can't Ha Ha learn to tackle? quit curling into a ball and throwing yourself into someone and put your arms out, at least hang on till help arrives. Our Dline doesn't look horrible, but I can't figure out why they can't get it done? I know they can be better, but they've never shown consistency

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just have to believe that Players who have made it to this level of the game, who don't know how to tackle or simply don't want the contact of tackling, are all of a sudden going to become sure tacklers.
Good luck Mike and Dom!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields has never even been an average tackler. It's his coverage skills coupled with his nose for the ball that got him paid. I see mostly the same with Clinton-Dix, if not quite as bad.

For a contrast, Micah Hyde seems much the opposite. A bit slow footed, and he might give up the catch but he'll make the tackle after.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is frustrating for me as a fan, I can only imagine what the coaches are going thru. It always seems the same to me. Either people are in position to make a play, and they don't or someone just blew something while everyone else was playing good defense. I like a lot of our players on defense. I really do. I think they are good football players, why they seem to not be able to make the play half the time, maybe i'm just a horrible judge of talent.

But even watching that game yesterday, Shields has been very good against the Bears in the past, and yesterday was one of the worst games he's played as Packer. Why? I have no idea. I know Barrington got hurt, but he was responsible for a couple big plays in the short time he was in there. Playing Zone and he decides to follow the man all the way over till he and Clay are standing next to each other and someone is running wide open where he vacated for another 20+ yard play.

Why can't Ha Ha learn to tackle? quit curling into a ball and throwing yourself into someone and put your arms out, at least hang on till help arrives. Our Dline doesn't look horrible, but I can't figure out why they can't get it done? I know they can be better, but they've never shown consistency

Dline played fine, it was a mix of A) Mike Neal getting sucked inside over and over again, B) ILBs not named Clay Matthews being slow to react. C) Morgan Burnett's backups being bad in run support. It's a lot easier to play Run D when you have safeties who can seal off the backside lanes and come up in run support on outside runs.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh as for Shields, when he's playing well and in rhythm he plays very well. But he's always had a problem with compounding his mistakes with new mistakes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Member that year we played the Martz Rams offense in the post season? Was it the Defense's fault that they scored so much or was it Brett Favre throwing six picks?

Was Seattle because of the Defense's play in the last 5 minutes or was it the Offense playing like crap the entire game?

Members online

Latest posts