Run Defense: #1 In Nfl

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've had problems against the pass. But leading all the time, teams are gonna pass more to catch up.
Plus we lost Tramon in game 1, Collins in game 2, so that presented some challenges there.

But this is good:

Packers lead the NFL in rush defense, having allowed just 55 yards per game through the first three weeks.

• Bears RB Matt Forte was held to 2 yards on 9 carries.
  • The Panthers’ RB's Deangelo Williams and Johnathan Stewart combined for 18 yards on 11 rushes.
  • Mark Ingram led the Saints with 40 yards on 13 carries in the opener.

If not for scrambles by Cammy Newton, the numbers would be even more impressive.
AJ Hawk & Desmond Bishop are doing a great job stuffing, and of course Ryan Pickett and BJ Raji, plus Wynn and Wilson and big Howard, do a good job lately in there plugging things up.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thInk much of the reason is that the Packers have jumped to early leads, causing the other teams to play catch up by passing more. A strong, high powered offense, always helps the run defense statistics.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you can pass why run?

Other Defense #'s from JS online article:
"Like 29, which is where the team ranks in total defense, or 21, where it ranks in scoring defense, or 2, where it ranks in allowing the most plays of 20 or more yards, or 16, where it ranks in opponent's passer rating."

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I thInk much of the reason is that the Packers have jumped to early leads, causing the other teams to play catch up by passing more. A strong, high powered offense, always helps the run defense statistics.

Carolina was up on us 13-0 at the half... Cam lit us up... I still think our pass defense needs improvement

lookoutblock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Raj. After seeing how Nicks and Evans were handled in the Saints game, I think we can expect more of the same for the rest of the season.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I wouldn't get all warm and fuzzy about the Packers run defense just yet. First, they have had the fewest rushing attempts per game. Second, the four players mentioned have a total of 399 yards rushing so far in 3 games . That's an average of 33.25 yards per player, per game. They are not exactly lighting the league on fire with yards. To put that in perspective, D. Mcfadden has 393 yards in 3 games for a 131 yard average. Let's see what the Packers D does with him first.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't get all warm and fuzzy about the Packers run defense just yet. First, they have had the fewest rushing attempts per game. Second, the four players mentioned have a total of 399 yards rushing so far in 3 games . That's an average of 33.25 yards per player, per game. They are not exactly lighting the league on fire with yards. To put that in perspective, D. Mcfadden has 393 yards in 3 games for a 131 yard average. Let's see what the Packers D does with him first.
We don't play McFadden until December 11th, and he'll be injured by then.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prolly cause your a Vikings fan.

And at this point you should take any #1 for the Vikes you can get. Even #1 Gatorade mixer.
I think, to be honest, they are the #1 team in the NFL in the first halves of games. They are remarkable in quarters 1 & 2, so far.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yup exactly....

but they are 3rd in yards per carry at 3.1

Flip side, passing attempts they are 2nd with 44 pass attempts per game..

Reminds me a few years ago in 05? Had least amount of passing yards given up but that was because had least amount of att..Teams were in the led late in the game, so all they had to do was run out the clock majority of the time

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone notice how the run game is kind of fading out across the league this last decade. Teams are all about passing and star WRs. I'm not saying the run game is obsolete, nobody can pass 100% of the time, but maybe this stat is the result of a lack of a running game thereof. What team really relies heavily on the run anymore?

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So in 2009 we had an awesome run defense and a mediocre pass defense. In 2010 we had an awesome pass defense and a mediocre run defense. Now we're back to awesome run defense and mediocre pass defense.

We really can't make up our minds, can we? haha. I'm sure our pass defense will catch up by midseason, though.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I've said it over and over and over, this is something to brag about on our defense.
Sure the pass can't always be defended, but we are getting interceptions.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Anyone notice how the run game is kind of fading out across the league this last decade. Teams are all about passing and star WRs. I'm not saying the run game is obsolete, nobody can pass 100% of the time, but maybe this stat is the result of a lack of a running game thereof. What team really relies heavily on the run anymore?

Yes. I've noticed and I'm not liking it much. The game of my liking wouldn't be real appealing to the ESPN generation and today's television market. I miss the 4-yards and a cloud of dust days...the Run to Daylight scheming... the man v. man battle between very large men beating the hell out of each other for 3.5 yards.... I miss the day when the cliche that goes "this game will be won or lost in the trenches" was more than just a cliche ... and a hollow one at that. If I wanted to watch tall skinny guys playing catch, I'd be a fan of the NBA. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I've noticed and I'm not liking it much. The game of my liking wouldn't be real appealing to the ESPN generation and today's television market. I miss the 4-yards and a cloud of dust days...the Run to Daylight scheming... the man v. man battle between very large men beating the hell out of each other for 3.5 yards.... I miss the day when the cliche that goes "this game will be won or lost in the trenches" was more than just a cliche ... and a hollow one at that. If I wanted to watch tall skinny guys playing catch, I'd be a fan of the NBA. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
If I were the coach I would bring back The Sweep. (And probably some other Vince plays that worked as well.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v3Qgt0Fb8I

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
We don't play McFadden until December 11th, and he'll be injured by then.
Maybe, but let's see who else they have to stop first.

ATL 10/9 Turner
MN 10/23 & 11/14 Peterson
SD 11/6 Matthews

It's not just McFadden. The Packers while appear to have a good run defense. I don't think they have really been tested as of yet.

Kitten said:
You know why don't you? Because these days the QB and the WR are the two most protected players on the field. If you blow on one wrong you get a flag. It's not like the 70's were the WR's got mugged running down the field by the DB's. You touch a QB's helmet it's 15 yards.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Maybe, but let's see who else they have to stop first.

ATL 10/9 Turner
MN 10/23 & 11/14 Peterson
SD 11/6 Matthews

It's not just McFadden. The Packers while appear to have a good run defense. I don't think they have really been tested as of yet.

You know why don't you? Because these days the QB and the WR are the two most protected players on the field. If you blow on one wrong you get a flag. It's not like the 70's were the WR's got mugged running down the field by the DB's. You touch a QB's helmet it's 15 yards.
Ha ha. Not according to Michael Vick. :cry:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ha ha. Not according to Michael Vick. :cry:
Vick has played what? One 16 game season in his career? His style of play leads to more hits. I do however think some QB's get call's others don't. When was the last time you saw Brady sacked 5 times without a roughing the passer call?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Vick has played what? One 16 game season in his career? His style of play leads to more hits. I do however think some QB's get call's others don't. When was the last time you saw Brady sacked 5 times without a roughing the passer call?
You know, I think you've got a good point. Vick has always gone above & beyond what other qb's will do. He does seem to put himself in positions where he's more likely to feel the wrath of a gi-normous defender. Brady? Of course he'll get the flag because he's "Tom Brady". (<------sarcasm intended)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You know, I think you've got a good point. Vick has always gone above & beyond what other qb's will do. He does seem to put himself in positions where he's more likely to feel the wrath of a gi-normous defender. Brady? Of course he'll get the flag because he's "Tom Brady". (<------sarcasm intended)
How do you beat Brady? It's easy. Hit him about 4 times in the 1st quarter, even if you take a 15 yard penalty. He gets upset, yells at his O-line and just sucks the rest of the game. He hates getting dirty.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I think it is only right that a QB who prides himself on his ability to run and who makes a living out of running opens himself to greater risk and shouldn't get as much protection as a QB who only scrambles as a last resort. If he creates a mystique and a reputation as a rusher as well as a passer you not only must treat him as a legitimate run threat, but he must expect to be treated as such. As a result, those rushing QB's take a lot more physical abuse -- and probably should.
I don't think a QB can rightfully expect to have it both ways: rushing often, and getting the benefit of a lot of yellow hankies when he does take a hit. You want to be a pocket passer the refs should treat you like a pocket passer. You want to be a rusher you forfeit that protection.
Vick puts himself out there and Vick must accept the consequences.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think it is only right that a QB who prides himself on his ability to run and who makes a living out of running opens himself to greater risk and shouldn't get as much protection as a QB who only scrambles as a last resort. If he creates a mystique and a reputation as a rusher as well as a passer you not only must treat him as a legitimate run threat, but he must expect to be treated as such. As a result, those rushing QB's take a lot more physical abuse -- and probably should.
I don't think a QB can rightfully expect to have it both ways: rushing often, and getting the benefit of a lot of yellow hankies when he does take a hit. You want to be a pocket passer the refs should treat you like a pocket passer. You want to be a rusher you forfeit that protection.
Vick puts himself out there and Vick must accept the consequences.
Be careful what you wish for, Rodgers runs a lot.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I like this forum because it's made up of alot of good solid football fans with good knowledge of the game. I have to be honest though, sometimes it seems like people here think like fans of other teams.
Packers are #1 against the run.... because teams are behind or ahead or whatever.
Packers are 3-0... but they had some close games.
Packers are World Champs....but they are lucky and overrated and got hot at the right time.
Sheesh, there are 32 teams, I'd bet alot of fans would like to hang their hat on a single #1 of any sort. I know, I know, but until all these threats to our rating (you know, like Forte) are hung out to dry, can we celebrate a little bit?
Honestly, the Panthers were supposed to have a cohesive and dangerous running game. They were ahead early, what happened? The Bears were living on Forte's back.
And hey Raptorman, are you taking into account the fact that the running averages of the players you mentioned had their stats smashed by the Packers? McFadden hasn't played the Packers yet. Nor has Peterson.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for, Rodgers runs a lot.

Not wishing for anything, and he is not a rushing quarterback; not like Vick or McNabb (at least when he was younger), or some of the other QB's who are almost run first and pass second. Its one thing to run when you are forced out of the pocket and running for your life. It is quite another to step up to the line and pose that dual threat that requires defenses to keep a spy on you because you are as likely to run as you are to pass. Can Rodgers run? Absolutely. Does Rodgers run? Absolutely. When Rodgers gets under center do you "game plan" for him to run? I don't think so.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this forum because it's made up of alot of good solid football fans with good knowledge of the game. I have to be honest though, sometimes it seems like people here think like fans of other teams.
Packers are #1 against the run.... because teams are behind or ahead or whatever.
Packers are 3-0... but they had some close games.
Packers are World Champs....but they are lucky and overrated and got hot at the right time.
Sheesh, there are 32 teams, I'd bet alot of fans would like to hang their hat on a single #1 of any sort. I know, I know, but until all these threats to our rating (you know, like Forte) are hung out to dry, can we celebrate a little bit?

Add Clay Matthews isn't getting enough sacks.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts