Roster Questions

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to make many determinations about the defense at this point with Pettine coming on board.

I do think that Jones/Williams proved enough that Montgomery could make Cobb expendable if he won't restructure. We really need a legit deep threat receiver opposite of Adams, though.

Cobb should've left via trade about two seasons ago. He has never offered the production his contract warranted. Montgomery can be used like Dion Lewis in New England. He's still under his rookie deal as is Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Utilize the weapons at GB's disposal. Traditional sets and groupings on the offensive side are not finite. Next year, you could have Adams and WR2. Montgomery in the slot and Jones and Williams in the backfield. Acquiring talent and utilizing it in a successful manner is the way to go. GB should not be dependent solely to the scheme/philosophy.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones and Montgomery are the wildcard players.
Ty can show run, and be a big mismatch in the pass. Use it.
Jones can be the lightning jab from ilb, as long as the dline is built and used properly in front of him.

Oline.... they always seem weak to me. The studs can't stay healthy. The journeymen promoted luckily hold their own. But the depth is unproven and at times, unreliable...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb should've left via trade about two seasons ago. He has never offered the production his contract warranted. Montgomery can be used like Dion Lewis in New England. He's still under his rookie deal as is Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. Utilize the weapons at GB's disposal. Traditional sets and groupings on the offensive side are not finite. Next year, you could have Adams and WR2. Montgomery in the slot and Jones and Williams in the backfield. Acquiring talent and utilizing it in a successful manner is the way to go. GB should not be dependent solely to the scheme/philosophy.

Two seasons ago for Cobb would have been after the 2015 season, during which he had 79 catches for 829 yards and 6 TDs - certainly not what he produced the year before, but pretty respectable. Also, why would another team want to take on his bloated contract (if he was being traded for under-performing), and why would the Packers want to eat over $15 mil in dead cap?

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Clark is an intriguing prospect just super raw. Not sure what packers saw in DeAngelo Yancey... Our WR are already slow as it is.. Yancey does't improve it much. Thought Max McCaffrey was gonna make the roster.

Will Ripkowski lose this job to Kerridge? We will see.

Ahmad Thomas (safety turn linebacker) who we picked up at end of the season will have a full offseason with the Packers. Will he be that missing Deion Jones type linebacker we are looking for?

I don't see how Joe Thomas is going to survive roster cuts next season. Hes gone.

Joel Bouagnon (Gutekunst's first signing) brings size and elusiveness. He has the built like Arian Foster and we would all hope he plays like Foster (minus the later years of Fosters career due to injuries).
https://lombardiave.com/2017/04/26/packers-2017-draft-interview-joel-bouagnon/

What do y'all think about Kentrell Brice?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really like Brice, physically he's exactly what we need. A guy that can cover a lot of ground with his speed and can lay a freaking hit on someone. But it seems his body doesn't hold up to his style of play. Lots of in and out of the lineup with injury and then IR. Maybe he's just unlucky and he holds up better in the future. I'd love for that to be true, I think he could really develop in to a strong player for us. but if he cant' stay healthy he's going to get left behind.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Two seasons ago for Cobb would have been after the 2015 season, during which he had 79 catches for 829 yards and 6 TDs - certainly not what he produced the year before, but pretty respectable. Also, why would another team want to take on his bloated contract (if he was being traded for under-performing), and why would the Packers want to eat over $15 mil in dead cap?
Cobb’s guaranteed money $13m. I don’t see how releasing hiM would would result in 15M dead cap. Seems to me the dead cap hit would be more like $3.25M.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone, maybe it was the other thread mentioned parting with Nelson, who I like a lot. So on a whim, since I'm in this years off season in madden, I stuck him on the trading block. (18 teams I think it was) offered something for him. My eyes nearly bugged out :/

In the game Cobb was my most consistent catcher, Jordy seemed to be streaky, or just lucky that I'd see them roll coverage towards Cobb's side of the field.

(I loved monty in the game, till he got hurt in the tail end of the season. Strangely, Madden had the Redskins drop Chris Thompson in preseason who I snatched up for a small song. GUy then ran for 180 yards against the eagles, and 150 on the patriots in the Super Bowl)

Of course Madden is not the same as real life... grain of salt.

I do think 1 of the 3 WRs could be a casualty this year. Jordy is older, Cobb has a couple years left. Davante is younger, so if we retain him I expect him to be safe if we just extended him.) I'm not sold on any of the RBs other than Ty though. I need to see a lot more before I'd feel comfortable. As for Tight End. If Bennet is gone, you'll need someone there. Maybe trade for someone like Niles Paul with the Redskins who does everything asked of him, but seems the least played tight end of their 4 (Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle, and him) Guy can also line up at FB when needed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Of course Madden is not the same as real life... grain of salt.

You hit it on the head, this isn't Madden. I seriously doubt there are trade partners for Jordy, Cobb or Matthews, given that all 3 are currently on what amounts to a one year overpaid deal. Now if they can be restructured to a market value deal, then you can trade them. But if you can do that, why not keep them, since I don't see anyone to replace any of the 3 currently on the roster. No restructure, teams will just wait for their release.

I'm not sold on any of the RBs other than Ty though. I need to see a lot more before I'd feel comfortable. As for Tight End. If Bennet is gone, you'll need someone there. Maybe trade for someone like Niles Paul with the Redskins who does everything asked of him, but seems the least played tight end of their 4 (Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle, and him) Guy can also line up at FB when needed.
I find it hard to believe that anyone is still sold on Monty at RB. After watching him struggle in 2017 to get yards (3.8 yd ave.), but more importantly, stay healthy.

Bennett is gone.....no doubt the Packers are thinking about the TE position in Free Agency and/or the draft.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are many teams that would trade for Cobb's contract considering the lack of receiving threats on many teams. The problem is that GB has many options in the receiving department (not even counting Montgomery) capable of handling Cobb's production at a cheaper price. While those stats look just ok, that is not unacceptable after signing a nice big contract. It would've been nice to get ahead of that contract before it become a liability and acquired more assets like draft picks. A couple more picks devoted to the defensive end could've helped over the last couple seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Cobb didn’t play badly in 15 and 16. Those were both half seasons where the entire offense floundered for a 12 month stretch and 17, Adams became the favored target of Hundley.

I don’t think any of this was Cobb’s fault.

I do think that Cobb is possibly expendable right now however. Rodgers would likely disagree imo.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are many teams that would trade for Cobb's contract considering the lack of receiving threats on many teams. The problem is that GB has many options in the receiving department (not even counting Montgomery) capable of handling Cobb's production at a cheaper price. While those stats look just ok, that is not unacceptable after signing a nice big contract. It would've been nice to get ahead of that contract before it become a liability and acquired more assets like draft picks. A couple more picks devoted to the defensive end could've helped over the last couple seasons.

This year, a team would be paying Cobb about the 17th cap hit among WRs. As always, think how you'd react if the Pack paid that $9.5 mil to a guy coming off a season with 66 catches for 653 yards, a 9.9 average, and 4 TDs.

More to the original point, a poster opined that he should have been traded two years ago, and that's the contract info to which I referred.

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about replacing Cobb with Montgomery. In years where they have both started multiple games:
Ty Montgomery has an average 467/year all-purpose yards
Randall Cobb has an average of 915/year " " "

My point is that they get paid by the year and so far Cobb has earned his paycheck (or you could at least argue within reason), Monty has not proven to be reliable. Is Monty a nice guy? sure. Is Monty a good athlete when he's on the field? absolutely. Is Monty reliable? absolutely not

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about replacing Cobb with Montgomery. In years where they have both started multiple games:
Ty Montgomery has an average 467/year all-purpose yards
Randall Cobb has an average of 915/year " " "

My point is that they get paid by the year and so far Cobb has earned his paycheck (or you could at least argue within reason), Monty has not proven to be reliable. Is Monty a nice guy? sure. Is Monty a good athlete when he's on the field? absolutely. Is Monty reliable? absolutely not
Agree that you have to look at Montgomery as being part time available which is one reason why you wouldn’t build your offensive scheme around him. However, his skill set has a number of different utilities which make him imo a guy that you use to add interesting options to your offense that can put defenses in compromised situations. I say keep him. He adds value and his price tag is miniscule.

Reaction score
Agree that you have to look at Montgomery as being part time available which is one reason why you wouldn’t build your offensive scheme around him. However, his skill set has a number of different utilities which make him imo a guy that you use to add interesting options to your offense that can put defenses in compromised situations. I say keep him. He adds value and his price tag is miniscule.
I agree. I also want to keep him but if Cobb goes we need Cobb's direct replacement

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year, a team would be paying Cobb about the 17th cap hit among WRs. As always, think how you'd react if the Pack paid that $9.5 mil to a guy coming off a season with 66 catches for 653 yards, a 9.9 average, and 4 TDs.

More to the original point, a poster opined that he should have been traded two years ago, and that's the contract info to which I referred.

I have no sympathy for any other team but GB. So I really don't care about the feelings of any other team once Cobb is shipped off and we get compensation back. Conversely, think how you should react to GB paying "a guy" coming off those stats $9.5 million!!! Also, more to your original point, the poster that opined so eloquently was probably me...me...me!!! But, seriously, I've been calling for Cobb to be traded ever since the season after he signed that deal. He was paid for past production, hasn't played up to expectations, and it just isn't a good deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He was paid for past production,

Isn't that how all non-incentive based contracts are determined?

It is easy to sit here and **** and moan about guys like Matthews and Cobb not living up to their contracts, but that is part of the NFL, guaranteed money and cap. Once those 2 players signed their names to their contract, they were Green Bay Packers for X years and Y dollars and had they produced beyond their paid amount, like #12 has, I doubt there would be much discussion, other than "how do we convince them to give us a hometeam discount and resign for less than market?"

I'm also getting tired of reading we should have cut Cobb/Matthews long ago, look at their contracts and the Packers roster and let me know how that makes sense 1 or 2 years ago. Could the Packers have traded either player 1 or 2 years ago? Probably not, guaranteed contracts are a b*tch.

There can be as many as 31 other teams interested in signing a player, if you aren't willing to take the downside risk of signing guys, the NFL probably isn't a game you want to be in.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hit it on the head, this isn't Madden. I seriously doubt there are trade partners for Jordy, Cobb or Matthews, given that all 3 are currently on what amounts to a one year overpaid deal. Now if they can be restructured to a market value deal, then you can trade them. But if you can do that, why not keep them, since I don't see anyone to replace any of the 3 currently on the roster. No restructure, teams will just wait for their release.

I find it hard to believe that anyone is still sold on Monty at RB. After watching him struggle in 2017 to get yards (3.8 yd ave.), but more importantly, stay healthy.

Bennett is gone.....no doubt the Packers are thinking about the TE position in Free Agency and/or the draft.

I wanted to clarify one thing. The Only RB I even have any affinity to on our roster is Monty. The rest could change jerseys, and I would still feel meh. That doesn't mean we are set at the RB position. Monty feels a little bit between Maurice Jones-Drew and Darren Sproles to me. Both can be serviceable but not necessarily the constant Bell Cow Back to survive.

On Jordy and Cobb. I can think of one team right now that would love to have a receiver like them either of them. Washington. THeir Wide REceivers last year consisted of:

80 Crowder, Jamison WR 5-9 177 24 3 Duke
19 Davis, Robert WR 6-3 217 22 R Georgia State
18 Doctson, Josh WR 6-2 206 25 2 Texas Christian
14 Grant, Ryan WR 6-0 204 27 4 Tulane
13 Harris, Maurice WR 6-3 200 25 2 California
83 Quick, Brian WR 6-3 218 28 6 Appalachian State

Of those Grant is a consistent Receiver who some how gets few looks, and Crowder is the one semi consistent guy, but disappears at times.

(There was also the 'experiment' that is Terrel Pryor Sr. Who is a FA as is Ryan Grant)

Doctson was their 1st Rd Pick last year, but was injured, hasn't produced enough yet to justify the pick. A lot of Washington's offense ran through Jordan Reed (A TE with a bit of an Injury history, but pure explosion when healthy)

I would wager, now that they've moved on for Cousins that one of those 2 WRs would be a fit in their offense. That's if GB even had an inkling at trading them. They are good receivers, IMO.

I don't know what the RB solution is though. Maybe draft someone?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no sympathy for any other team but GB. So I really don't care about the feelings of any other team once Cobb is shipped off and we get compensation back. Conversely, think how you should react to GB paying "a guy" coming off those stats $9.5 million!!! Also, more to your original point, the poster that opined so eloquently was probably me...me...me!!! But, seriously, I've been calling for Cobb to be traded ever since the season after he signed that deal. He was paid for past production, hasn't played up to expectations, and it just isn't a good deal.

OK, I'm done. If you're going to quote back what I said and make a 'so, there' comment, there's no point in going further. The whole point of my posts in this thread was to say that, now, or two years ago, trading Cobb wasn't/isn't a realistic option.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wanted to clarify one thing. The Only RB I even have any affinity to on our roster is Monty. The rest could change jerseys, and I would still feel meh. That doesn't mean we are set at the RB position. Monty feels a little bit between Maurice Jones-Drew and Darren Sproles to me. Both can be serviceable but not necessarily the constant Bell Cow Back to survive.

On Jordy and Cobb. I can think of one team right now that would love to have a receiver like them either of them. Washington. THeir Wide REceivers last year consisted of:

80 Crowder, Jamison WR 5-9 177 24 3 Duke
19 Davis, Robert WR 6-3 217 22 R Georgia State
18 Doctson, Josh WR 6-2 206 25 2 Texas Christian
14 Grant, Ryan WR 6-0 204 27 4 Tulane
13 Harris, Maurice WR 6-3 200 25 2 California
83 Quick, Brian WR 6-3 218 28 6 Appalachian State

Of those Grant is a consistent Receiver who some how gets few looks, and Crowder is the one semi consistent guy, but disappears at times.

(There was also the 'experiment' that is Terrel Pryor Sr. Who is a FA as is Ryan Grant)

Doctson was their 1st Rd Pick last year, but was injured, hasn't produced enough yet to justify the pick. A lot of Washington's offense ran through Jordan Reed (A TE with a bit of an Injury history, but pure explosion when healthy)

I would wager, now that they've moved on for Cousins that one of those 2 WRs would be a fit in their offense. That's if GB even had an inkling at trading them. They are good receivers, IMO.

I really don't see any team, even Washington, trading for Jordy or Cobb. Why trade away something for a one year overpaying contract when you can hit the FA market and go after value and a long term deal? We see this every year from other teams, vet players not playing up to their contracts and they are cut, not traded. I doubt Cobb, Matthews and Nelson will be exceptions to this.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Although I like Jones and Williams, I wouldn't be opposed to the Packers drafting a guy like RB Rashaad Penny if he is still around in the 4th or 5th round. He may take a year to get up to speed on the playbook, blocking and receiving in the NFL, but the guy looked really good returning punts and kicks. He needs to work on a few things with his running game but hard to not notice his stat line:

289 carries 2248 yds. (7.8 yd ave.) and 23 td's

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb "MAY" be tradeworthy depending on what was all involved. He's young enough someone might think they can use him differently, and get more production. He's been explosive enough in the past to probably still garner interest and while his overall seasons haven't been great, at the end of 2016 he was very good with Jordy out, and had some important catches in other games to show he could still be a big contributor to some. the player or draft pick that would come with would probably be lower though. There is some risk of course with his cap hit the offering team would lower what they're willing to give up in that type of trade though. It would be a "depends" situation. I don't see Jordy or Matthews as being tradable. It's cut or keep with them

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Cobb "MAY" be tradeworthy depending on what was all involved. He's young enough someone might think they can use him differently, and get more production. He's been explosive enough in the past to probably still garner interest and while his overall seasons haven't been great, at the end of 2016 he was very good with Jordy out, and had some important catches in other games to show he could still be a big contributor to some. the player or draft pick that would come with would probably be lower though. There is some risk of course with his cap hit the offering team would lower what they're willing to give up in that type of trade though. It would be a "depends" situation. I don't see Jordy or Matthews as being tradable. It's cut or keep with them

"Maybe" a team that has a lot of cap space would be interested in him, but even then, that team has the issue of trying to resign him in a year. Cobb definitely has some value as a starting WR and right now, I would rather see the Packers overpay him to get that value as opposed to not having a player that can step right in and play at his level for $4-6M less. If they can find a trade partner, they might get a 4th/5th rounder.

The Packers at the moment, IMO are thin in WR depth (Allison, Davis, Clark, Monty) and that is handcuffing them in what to do with both Jordy and Cobb. So unless they think they can get the same production out of another guy that is currently on the team, a FA or a draft pick, I just don't see a lot happening with moving on from Jordy or Cobb.

Members online

Latest posts